Possible R-142 (7) Test Train this summer? [(MTA) Employee Answers ONLY]

Perma Disclaimer: [(MTA) Employees ONLY, if not then do not post]...

Now, lets get back on topic and from now only (MTA) employees can post here...

Thread Disclaimer: [(MTA) and [NYCTF] Employee ONLY, if not then don't post]...

The last time I checked, this is a site free for everyone to post so I don't get the deal with only (MTA) employees posting in this thread. We members have information too you know. It's the admins & mods job to say who can or who can't post here, not yours:mad:

Give me back that little fish, give me that fish, give me back that little fish, give me that fish, if it wasn't you, it would be fun, if it was you, you wouldn't be laughing at all... *music tunes* ...bala-bah-bah-bahh I'm Lovin' It!

Why, you started this thread because you wanted information about possible R142A test train on the (7)<7> & you post randomness that doesn't belong here.

a contractor was just named to do cbtc on the (7). they have not even started to survey for cbtc yet on the mainline. corona yards new tower is almost done and it is cbtc ready. it will also take the place of the old yard tower and 111st tower. now the barn at corona yard has been 142 ready for a few years now. with everything going on right now i dont see a need for a 142 test train anytime soon. maybe by next summer they will bring one to the yard. but till then dont hold your breath. now you have a answer from a employee that flags directly for the contractors that will be doing the work.

Question: [not that it'll likely happen] Are the tracks at the yard spaced apart with enough room that 2 B-division cars will not sideswipe each other or is everything just A-division specs?

The last time I checked, this is a site free for everyone to post so I don't get the deal with only (MTA) employees posting in this thread. We members have information too you know. It's the admins & mods job to say who can or who can't post here, not yours:mad:

Why, you started this thread because you wanted information about possible R142A test train on the (7)<7> & you post randomness that doesn't belong here.

GOOD ONE! tell him papa

Question: [not that it'll likely happen] Are the tracks at the yard spaced apart with enough room that 2 B-division cars will not sideswipe each other or is everything just A-division specs?

From Times Square to Queensboro is all A Div spec. From there to Willets I think is B Div. aside from the platforms. The yard might be but I remember that the loop has been closed due to clearnece problems so I am not 100%sure.

Oic thanks. Also thanks for the info about the rest of the line. Looks like that kills my hope for a new Steinway tunnel opening the option for B division cars from running south of QBP. B)

The Steinway tube is almost too small for A Div. cars. It was originaly built for trolley service, thats why it is horse shoe shaped and why there are alot of timers. If a train was traveling at high speeds, it would sway and could hit the tunnel.

Yeah, I mean how much longer will they have to keep making trains to accomodate the tunnel than for the tunnel to accomdate trains?

Obviously it would be friggin expensive to build new tunnels, but they need modern tunnels.

Replacing the tunnel seems impractical...I don't know how they'd be able to do it.:confused:

Well from a non-knowledgeable stand point: I would say they could either build under the current tubes or build around them and seal off the current tubes.

Basically all I'm saying is: when does it become impractical to keep using the tubes if they can't handle cars like the R142As? What will they do when the next generation of cars have different specs than the R142As? Make the top speed like 2mph?

I will say it was a great idea then to take those trolley tubes for subway service, but as strong as they are, they have become more of a hassle than they should be.

Let me say this, IF, they do send a test train over to the Flushing line, it would probably be to see how well they will work there, in terms of technicality. (Remember, the R188s which WILL go on the (7) are essentially R142As, only fitted with CBTC technology and are 11 cars long. So testing out prior to conversion does make sense) And if it is out there, it will not be in revenue service so don't get too excited over it. So don't be standing 10 hours at Jackson Heights or Grand Central just to get on it.
They have already tested R142As on the 7 line. I heard over the radio last year I think around fall or winter a TSS gave the operating motor of an R142 testing in the middle by 111th st.

Archived