Good picture spots along NEC

keysersoze

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for a good picture spot along the :nec:. Where lots of both NJT and Amtrak equipment passes through.

It should be a station with side platforms and a good plain view of all 4 tracks in both directions. From what I've seen, Princeton Junction and New Brunswick would be perfect, but they're quite a long ride from NYC and train frequency is a bit lower here because the :njc: trains branch off at Rahway.

So, I would probably be going for the North Elizabeth, Elizabeth, Linden oder Rahway stations. Which one of these can you recommend? I've seen Elizabeth is curved on one side, while Linden seems to have more than 4 tracks.

Also, is a mentionable number of freight trains passing through this part of the :nec: during daytime?

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for a good picture spot along the :nec:. Where lots of both NJT and Amtrak equipment passes through.

It should be a station with side platforms and a good plain view of all 4 tracks in both directions. From what I've seen, Princeton Junction and New Brunswick would be perfect, but they're quite a long ride from NYC and train frequency is a bit lower here because the :njc: trains branch off at Rahway.

So, I would probably be going for the North Elizabeth, Elizabeth, Linden oder Rahway stations. Which one of these can you recommend? I've seen Elizabeth is curved on one side, while Linden seems to have more than 4 tracks.

Also, is a mentionable number of freight trains passing through this part of the :nec: during daytime?

I would choose Linden,although it has more tracks that means more fun,but you have to watch your back there along with N.Elizabeth and Elizabeth,and Rahway....

But I think that the freight trains go through mainly at night to keep from tieing up traffic,but if you lucky you may catch a stray or 2.

Even though it isn't allowed, I think Harrison is a great place to catch some action. You'll be standing on PATH property but it still is a great place to catch some good material. I've gone there recently and if you don't make it too obvious you'll be fine.

Was it PATH or AmTrak property? I forgot? I thought , for some reason it was AmTrak.? hmm

I'm afraid it is PATH property. Everything inside the outter tracks are Amtrak property including the cantenaries of course.

Ya, Harry is right about Harrison. Which is why I don't mess around in Harrison.

But for good NEC spots, I would say Elizabeth, Princeton Junction, Hamilton, and Trenton.

Elizabeth is closer and get all you need for pictures.

Heres a thread of photos I posted back over the summer when I hanged around Elizabeth train station for a while.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373

Thanks to everybody for your tips! I think I will be going to Elizabeth then, I really like the shots Pablo took in the summer. I will also check out Harrison to watch some equipment passing by, but I'm not quite sure if I'm willing to take the risk to take pictures there... :confused:

Archived