Licensed and Illegal Vans Fight It Out

Shortline Bus

I'll probably go to the Av to hunt these i noticed that the dollar van lines have different terminals...ex. Merrick Blvd Line hangs out in front of Jamaica Center entrance and Movie Theaters...ex. Guy R Brewer Line hangs out on Guy R Brewer in front of Gertz Mall

Actually, the Rosedale dollar vans are at the same place as the Merrick ones.

Merrick In the Back, Rosedale in the front (Q111)

Around Gertz Mall, I don't really see any dollar vans but again, I haven't paid attention, your more likely to find the dollar cabs running the Q6 on Jamaica Avenue (in general) & Sutphin Blvd

New York should have a comprehensive system of minibuses that go to places where buses don't go. They could be privatised and the DOT could oversee operations. Hong Kong has a very good example of this. They go just about anywhere and are numbered. You pay when you get off and you can get off anywhere along the route:

photo_HongKong_light_bus.JPG

There is a sign listing general areas the thing serves, with the route number and maximum fare. There is a destination sign in the front. This one is going to Ho Man Tin, departing from Tsim Sha Tsui. Thousands of Hong Kongers make a living by driving these minibuses. They come in two varieties - red or green. This one is a green minibus.

Archived