Trainspotter

Riders bemoan fare hike

By Marlene Naanes

amNewYork Staff Writer

March 3, 2008

[float=right]36310088.jpg

Dave Sanders

The MTA fare hike went into effect on Sunday, and many

riders were feeling the pinch on their wallets.[/float]Bong Raya's wallet took a double hit this weekend when subway and bus fare hikes took effect Sunday, a day after she started paying more for her weekly Metro North ticket.

"Everything is increasing, but the point is the dollar is going down so it's not good," said the 50-year-old who commutes daily from Jackson Heights to her job as a nanny in Chappaqua. "You feel it more."

Riders who headed to MetroCard vending machines and token booths yesterday were frustrated and even surprised by the fare hikes. Undoubtedly, more straphangers will learn about the increases this morning as New Yorkers head back to work.

MTA officials have said that the increases will help offset billions in future deficits.

The 30-day unlimited cards went up by $5 to $81, and the bonuses on the pay-per-ride MetroCards decreased from 20 percent to 15 percent.

The new bonuses resulted in an unwelcome challenge to riders like Raj Elangovan, who griped about now having to deal with awkward balances left over on his $10 MetroCard. After he takes five rides, he'll be left with $1.50 instead of a full free ride.

"It's going to be confusing for people," said Elangovan, 25, of Newark, NJ, visiting the city for the day yesterday. "We're going to have to do a lot of calculations." Although the agency hung posters about the hike in subway stations and on buses, some commuters endured a little shock at MetroCard vending machines Sunday.

"Oh, I didn't know that it changed," said Janet Kang, 20, a student, of Union Square, who discovered yesterday that she now only gets a $3 bonus on a $20 card instead of two free rides. "It's a little frustrating, but I guess I'll have to manage."

Some riders who knew of the increases began new spending habits yesterday. Susan Russo, of Union Square, bought a $20 MetroCard instead of her usual 30-day unlimited ride card.

"I take cabs to work sometimes, so the unlimited is not economical anymore," said Russo, 62.

Archived