To SBS or not to SBS

NX Express

Which route(s) do you think should get SBS?

IMO, the M86 should with the following route:

Start at 92 St & York Av.

via current M86 route to CPW, with stops at:

86 St/1 Av

86 St/2 Av

86 St/Lex Av

84/85 St/5 Av

Then:

81 St/CPW

96 Street/B'way

Current M96 terminal.

In conjunction with this, the M60 would be extended to 96 Street and Broadway. Also, W81 Street would become a one-way, westbound street between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues.

Well I will tell you this, the Transverses are not that wide. BRT only works well when the thoroughfares are wide enough to warrant a bus only lane that would not affect other traffic. People mention to me TransMileno, TransMileno uses medians down expressways and whatnot. We have pretty narrow streets.

My point is, you will have to limit transverse traffic and that's not going to be very optimal for crosstown traffic. Sure it will help those on the bus, but people who are normally driving can't find other routes, except to go down to the next transverse.

Didn't the MTA have plans for a distant future 5th Ave SBS? If that plan came through, which route do think would have it? I think it would be the M1 or M2. The M1 since it has a Local service alongside the Limited and runs the length of 5th Av, or the M2 which runs Limited most of the day.

Didn't the MTA have plans for a distant future 5th Ave SBS? If that plan came through, which route do think would have it? I think it would be the M1 or M2. The M1 since it has a Local service alongside the Limited and runs the length of 5th Av, or the M2 which runs Limited most of the day.

It's not exactly a full SBS, but they are planning to put a bus lane for a section of 5th/Mad. There will be signal priority, but as for off board payment no.

Bx41 ~+SBS+~

This wouldf have stops at

White Plains Rd and 241 Street

White Plains Rd and Neried Av

White Plains Rd and 233 Street

White Plains Rd and 225 Street

White Plains Rd and 219 Street

White Plains Rd and Gun Hill Rd

Webster Av and Bedford Park Blvd

Webster Av and Fordham Rd

Webster Av and Tremont Av

Webster Av and Claremont Pkwy

Webster Av and 168 Street

Webster Av and 161 Street

3 Av and 149 Street

Willis Av and 146 Street

Roadway Setup

White Plains Rd

Sidewalk/Bus Lane/Parking/Lane 1/Lane 2/Parking/Bus Lane/Sidewalk

Gun Hill Rd

Sidewalk/Bus Lane/Lane 1/Lane 2-Turning Lane/Lane 3-Turning Lane/Lane 4/Bus Lane/Sidewalk

Webster/Melrose Avs

Sidewalk/Bus Bulb/Bus Lane/Lane 1-Turning Lane/Lane 2-Turning Lane/Bus Lane/Bus Bulb/Sidewalk

3rd and Wills Avs

Sidewalk/Bus Lane/Lane 1/Lane 2-Turning Lane/Lane 3-Turning Lane/Lane 4/Bus Lane/Sidewalk

The Bx41~+SBS+~ will run between 5:45am and 9:00pm, weekdays, 6:15am and 8:45pm Saturdays, and 6:35am and 8:40pm on Sundays and Holidays

Buses will run every 3-6 minutes during rush hours, 7-9 mins middays and evenings.

Bx41 Local buses will run between Wakefield-241 Street and Highbridge-161 Street, while the ~+SBS+~ is running. The locals will run the full route when the ~+SBS+~ isn't running....

I'd say the Bx55. It would be a much better replacement for the Third Avenue El. However, the only downside to the Bx55 being an SBS is that the Bx41 would lose some ridership.

It would run between Gun Hill Road (2) station and Harlem-125th Street (4)(5)(6) MNRR station.

Stops

Gun Hill Rd/White Plains Road (Bx28/30/39/41/(2))

Gun Hill Rd/Webster Av (Bx28/30/MNRR)

Bedford Park Blvd (Bx26)

Fordham Road (at Webster Avenue) (Bx9/12/15/17/22/41/W60/61/62/MNRR)

183rd Street/3rd Av (St. Barnabas Hospital)

180th Street (Bx36)

East Tremont Av (Bx40/42/MNRR)

Claremont Parkway (Bx11)

168th Street (Bx35)

163rd Street-Boston Road (Bx6/21)

149th Street-Westchester Avenue/3rd Av (2)(5) station (Bx2/4/19/41/(2)/(5))

138th Street-3rd Av (6) station (Bx1/32/33/(6))

125th Street/Park Avenue (M35/60/100/101/103/(4)/(5)/(6)/MNRR)

I've heard that since the free transfer on the MetroCard came into play in 1997, the Bx55's ridership has declined. However, it seems to be on the rise again because of new housing and new schools in Melrose, Morrisania, Claremont, and East Tremont.

Bx41 ~+SBS+~

3 Av and 149 Street

Willis Av and 146 Street

Roadway Setup

White Plains Rd

Gun Hill Rd

Webster/Melrose Avs

Sidewalk/Bus Bulb/Bus Lane/Lane 1-Turning Lane/Lane 2-Turning Lane/Bus Lane/Bus Bulb/Sidewalk

3rd and Wills Avs

The Bx41~+SBS+~ will run between 5:45am and 9:00pm, weekdays, 6:15am and 8:45pm Saturdays, and 6:35am and 8:40pm on Sundays and Holidays

Buses will run every 3-6 minutes during rush hours, 7-9 mins middays and evenings.

Bx41 Local buses will run between Wakefield-241 Street and Highbridge-161 Street, while the ~+SBS+~ is running. The locals will run the full route when the ~+SBS+~ isn't running....

The bus lane would be pretty difficult to pull off underneath the (2) line on White Plains Road. And now that the Bx39 is running on White Plains Road the whole way instead of the Bx41 north of Gun Hill, I'm not sure if the idea would come into fruition.

I've heard that since the free transfer on the MetroCard came into play in 1997, the Bx55's ridership has declined. However, it seems to be on the rise again because of new housing and new schools in Melrose, Morrisania, Claremont, and East Tremont.

The service reductions booklet says that the Bx55 lost ridership. It lost 3.3% of its weekday ridership and 4.3% of its weekend ridership over the past year, and 4.2% of its weekday ridership and 8.0% of its weekend ridership over the past 5 years.

However, the Bx15 has gained ridership (7.9% weekday and 8.0% weekend over the past 5 years), and SBS would probably shift some of the riders back over to the Bx55.

The Bx41, however, has been losing riders. Overall, ridership in the central Bronx has remained the same, and hasn't really grown.

The Bx55 and Bx19 need to be +SBS+!

Bx19 is as slow as sh9t and its schedule is unreliable, It says it runs every 3-4 min between stops but its bs becuz sometimes you have to wait 10-15 min headway. I mean even the M15 is like that and it follows by the 3-4min!

The Bx55 could use it too since it did replaced the 3rd ave El in 1973 if im correct. And man there is no subway there a nice Bx55 SBS would benefit there to reduce the crowd on the Bx15/Bx55/Bx21** along 3rd Ave

**Bx21 from 138th Street to 163rd Street

The Bx40 or 42 could even use this or LTD service since its a really long route from east to west in the Bronx especially since they both run together from River Park tower to Randalls Avenue & Harden Ave..

Bx41 ~+SBS+~

3 Av and 149 Street

Willis Av and 146 Street

Roadway Setup

White Plains Rd

Gun Hill Rd

Webster/Melrose Avs

3rd and Wills Avs

I wouldnt use the Bx41 up north of Gun Hill road since its being cut up and replaced by Bx39.

The service reductions booklet says that the Bx55 lost ridership. It lost 3.3% of its weekday ridership and 4.3% of its weekend ridership over the past year, and 4.2% of its weekday ridership and 8.0% of its weekend ridership over the past 5 years.

However, the Bx15 has gained ridership (7.9% weekday and 8.0% weekend over the past 5 years), and SBS would probably shift some of the riders back over to the Bx55.

The Bx41, however, has been losing riders. Overall, ridership in the central Bronx has remained the same, and hasn't really grown.

In my mind, the Bx15 has gained ridership since it's the most consistent line on 125th Street, opposed to the Manhattan routes, and because it runs a little bit more frequently than the Bx55 on weekends.

If the Bx55 SBS comes into play, I'd shorten the Bx15 to run between Fordham Plaza and 138th St-3rd Av (6) station.

Looking at it from another angle, A bx15 LTD or a Bx15 SBS would kill off the Bx55....

Let's hope that doesn't happen.

anyway, wait til the new bx39 starts running... I expect w/e the percentage is of the loss of ridership on the 41 off that service reductions booklet/PDF, to triple....

Truthfully, I think SBS routes would be much better if they aren't just spiffed up limited stop services of existing routes. SBS would work much more better, IMHO, on newer routes.

yep, that's been my stance on SBS all along...

far as that last sentence goes, well, guess we can forget about SBS becoming prevalent, then...

yep, that's been my stance on SBS all along...

far as that last sentence goes, well, guess we can forget about SBS becoming prevalent, then...

The thing is that major corridors do have bus service, but I think that corridors should be combined whenever possible. Also, the current SBS system is very loose. For it to really benefit people, I think a basic, yet, comprehensive network of lines with interchanges would help.

Looking at it from another angle, A bx15 LTD or a Bx15 SBS would kill off the Bx55....

Let's hope that doesn't happen.

anyway, wait til the new bx39 starts running... I expect w/e the percentage is of the loss of ridership on the 41 off that service reductions booklet/PDF, to triple....

But isn't the Bx55 already a Bx15 limited? SBS would just give the Bx55 all the features of SBS.

If the Bx55 SBS comes into play, I'd shorten the Bx15 to run between Fordham Plaza and 138th St-3rd Av station.

What would replace the service into Manhattan? The Bx55?

But isn't the Bx55 already a Bx15 limited? SBS would just give the Bx55 all the features of SBS.

Essentially it is, it was created after the 3rd Avenue El came down and its stops are pretty much configured to match those of the els.

The Bx55 was CREATED to replace the 3rd Avenue El from 149th St(The Hub) to Gun Hill Road/WPR(Williamsbridge) and/or East Fordham Rd/3rd Ave/Plaza starting in 1973/74. It makes all former stops of the 3rd Avenue IRT. Its like the Bx15 LTD but it doesnt go to Manhattan and Mott Haven(South of 149th). It just provides subway like service to allow passengers to connect with the White Plains Road line and any stops the 3rd Ave El did.

Bx15 runs out of West Farms (Could go with KB the end of this month due to it becoming D60HF)

Bx55 runs out of KingsBridge

For the n00bs

Didn't you see the stops on the Bx55, it's heading to Park av/125th St to serve Mott Haven and East Harlem. For those traveling along the remainder of 125th St, use the M60, M100, or M101.

Didn't you see the stops on the Bx55, it's heading to Park av/125th St to serve Mott Haven and East Harlem. For those traveling along the remainder of 125th St, use the M60, M100, or M101.

What are you talking about. The Bx55 is NOT going to Manhattan its staying in the Bronx, the Bx15 is goin to Manhattan like everything else. Its just that the Bx55 is gonna be cut during the early evening, late night and weekends.

What are you talking about. The Bx55 is NOT going to Manhattan its staying in the Bronx, the Bx15 is goin to Manhattan like everything else. Its just that the Bx55 is gonna be cut during the early evening, late night and weekends.

I'm talking about my proposed Bx55 SBS. It would actually give the Bx55 much more weight while the Bx15 gets less weight on its ridership.

along 3rd av, yeah.....

you do realize that the 55 goes to Gun Hill/WPR, don't you....

throwing a LTD or an SBS onto the 15, and now that the 41 is being truncated to gun hill/WPR....

combine those two things... it would make the 55 irrelevant.

that's why I said what I did, in that reply of mine you're referring to....

It would actually give the Bx55 much more weight while the Bx15 gets less weight on its ridership.

well, at the very least, it'd take a couple vehicles per hour off the length of 125th....

(your rendition of a bx55 sbs, I'm talking about)

along 3rd av, yeah.....

you do realize that the 55 goes to Gun Hill/WPR, don't you....

throwing a LTD or an SBS onto the 15, and now that the 41 is being truncated to gun hill/WPR....

combine those two things... it would make the 55 irrelevant.

that's why I said what I did, in that reply of mine you're referring to....

well, at the very least, it'd take a couple vehicles per hour off the length of 125th....

That's correct which is the reason why my Bx55 SBS won't travel along 125th Street. But it would drop off passengers at Harlem MNRR station.

As for the Bx55 heading to Gun Hill Road, some of the Bx55's ridership lives or comes from parts east of 3rd Avenue whereas the Bx41's ridership is along Webster Avenue or near the street. As a result, some of those Bx55 riders can't walk from let's say Boston Rd/165th St or Arthur Av/180th St to Webster or Melrose Avs to catch the Bx41. In addition, some of those Bx55 riders from Morrisania or Tremont often head to Gun Hill to take the Bx28 or Bx30 to either Coop City or Montefiore Hospital because they don't live by a train and they don't want to take a bus to 149th St, just to take the (2) or (5) train one stop to Grand Concourse-149th St for the (4) train to head north.

Archived