Downtown Brooklyn: NOT an up and coming area

BJC

what an ass. this guy is completely racist. who cares what neighborhood it is.

I'm a Puerto Rican living in the Flatbush community for over 20 years. My mom and I are the only Hispanic people living in this building while other people in the building are mostly from the Caribbean, Jamaica, Barbados, etc. We are not afraid, nor will we ever be. We get along with everybody, and believe it or not, when my mom and i moved over here, the people in this building loved us to death, and until this day, they still do, as well as us loving them. We get along perfectly fine. We always look out for each other and we never choose favorites over here. I love that.

No where you go is perfect. There's absolutely no perfect place to live in. So if he wanna go around and say that the area is bad due to "black people", he should be punished for even saying that. i don't think that's right at all.

Bottom Line: He is RACIST!

I'd be willing to take him to Harlem, or Bedford-Stuyvesant, or Crown Heights, or East New York, or Williamsbridge, or Far Rockaway, or Alphabet City for a day. You Know.

yea man, that article got me mad now. you dont discriminate people like that, no matter what race they are.

I wish there was a spray/pill/etc. that gave someone "temporary turrets syndrome". I'd give him that and drop him off in Brownsville, East New York, South Jamaica, Far Rockaway, Harlem, etc. and put the footage on YouTube.

Downtown Brooklyn is NOTHING like SoHo.....

- for starters, SoHo has a strong, vivrant nightlife... I cannot say the same for downtown brooklyn at all...

- Downtown Brooklyn is a CBD... who the hell considers SoHo the same...

the part of his musing about the projects... well, I've addressed enough racists for one day.....

oh, and by the way...

y'all do know what it mean when someone (usually real estate agents) use the term "up & coming area" right....

No? well I'll spell it out for you.

It's a punk assed way of saying there's little to no minorities living in the area. Everything is within walking distance. Crime is not a factor.... The phrase is usually directed at yuppies....

what area have you heard of where blacks & latinos dominate, that's considered "up & coming", that's in a city setting?

I go to Downtown Brooklyn very often. It's not as bad as it used to, but the warehouses and areas away from the subway are quite iffy and spookily quiet, especially at night.

BUT if he thinks Downtown Brooklyn's bad, I'll invite him to go to Queensbridge, South Hunters Point, Far Rockaway, South Bronx, East New York, or South Jamaica and see what HE likes about those areas.

the hard part of this is as much as what he said was harmful, he's kinda got a point. Just him is one thing, but what happens when you have couple thosand.

hear me out before you make with the labiling.

The minoirty populations, especialy the Black population, of western brooklyn frequents the area around Fulton street. We all agree on that?

The stupid idiots from Podunk, Iowa, have run out of space in Manhattan and have started taking areas of Brooklyn and Queens. They're building high rise condos around Queensboro Plaza station and along the williamsburg waterfront in addition to the ones in Downtown Brooklyn.

The issue is how long until something happens and a problem starts. How long until there's another riot like in Crown Heights?

Something happening over what? A problem over what? A riot over what? What issue? Territory.... You are way too vague in that last statement of your post....

Is it that you think the blacks that frequent fulton street, would start some shit with whatever influx of hipsters and/or yuppies that are moving into downtown brooklyn - which isn't a residential area anyway (like Crown Heights is).... you kiddin us with this.... a riot????

and you suggest that we hear you out before starting with the labeling...

Problem is, I don't see what underlying point you are trying to imply, or make....

you sound almost as bad with this, as the guy from the blogsite that BJC linked in the OP.....

figured someone was gonna say harlem.... you could thank gentrification & black flight for that....

east harlem, definitely not; although the community has changed for the better....

Western Harlem is odd in that sense. I've been through it a few times and noticed that the more established African-American and Hispanic communities are beginning to be pushed aside by a burgeoning Chinese and Korean population. As to the a**hole that wrote the article: Yes, Downtown Brooklyn is a relatively poor area, yes, it is largely minority, and no, I would not wander through the projects on Park Avenue after dark. However, the idea that poor and minority people are somehow inherently dangerous or not worth living around is simply absurd. I am in and around Downtown Brooklyn at least three days a week and I used to take art classes in West Farms (south Bronx) and I swear to you that most of the people I met there were honest, hardworking, and relatively friendly, even to a blonde, blue-eyed Puerto Rican white kid like me. If you keep a half-decent head on your shoulders and don't go out of your way to piss people off, then the only people that will be out to get you will be the 5-10% of the population that like to prey on people, and frankly you can find them in any neighborhood, of any race or social standing.

Archived