Interesting question!

Here's something for everyone to ponder. Should TA train operators/motormen be subject to federal licensing requirements? IMHO, as a veteran (27 years) motorman, I'd answer, "YES". What do you think?

Be careful what you wish for - FRA licensed engineers get 30 days for their first signal overrun and can lose their license with the second.

Be careful what you wish for - FRA licensed engineers get 30 days for their first signal overrun and can lose their license with the second.

That's interesting, since overspeed penalty brake applications are fairly common on the railroad. Both the NYC Subway's Automatic Block Signalling system using trip arms to put a train BIE due to an operator's failure to stop before a restrictive signal and the MNRR and LIRR pulse code cab signalling system with integrated Automatic Train Control, where an engineer's failure to properly acknowledge a restrictive cab signal change leads to a penalty brake application serve the same purpose.

The FRA is extremely strict, and for good reason. I wonder if penalties for overruns in CPL, Manual Block and movable (cab signal) block are all the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's something for everyone to ponder. Should TA train operators/motormen be subject to federal licensing requirements? IMHO, as a veteran (27 years) motorman, I'd answer, "YES". What do you think?

HHHHmmm i heard this question asked before....... :P

IMHO, the FTA's rules are too loose. Bring NYCTA train crews under FRA regulation would make for better quality service for the passengers, and better working conditions for the crews.

Let's just say that I do not share your beliefs.

Archived