End of Overnight Brooklyn LIRR service

Shortline Bus

So during that time, run the (J) past chambers to Atlantic Ave

I am not saying Foxie it a bad idea but (MTA) will say it costs money and require at least 2-3 more train crews even at 20-30 minute headways overnights. Plus where do you terminate the (J)? Atlantic is not a terminal for "B" divison trains that are arriving from Queens/Manhattan and when there are "G/O's', the (J) runs to either 9th Ave on the (D) line or Prospect Park to terminate.

I am not saying Foxie it a bad idea but (MTA) will say it costs money and require at least 2-3 more train crews even at 20-30 minute headways overnights. Plus where do you terminate the (J)? Atlantic is not a terminal for "B" divison trains that are arriving from Queens/Manhattan and when there are "G/O's', the (J) runs to either 9th Ave on the (D) line or Prospect Park to terminate.

I thought it was Atlantic Ave that (J) shuttle ends, well how about Prospect Park as the ending?

I keep noticing suggestions about closing the East New York and Nostrand Ave stations overnight. For what purpose, may I ask? If a train runs on the Atlantic branch overnights why not make those stops? It will cost the (MTA) the same amount of money either way so why the discrimination? All stops or no stops costs exactly the same amount of money.

I keep noticing suggestions about closing the East New York and Nostrand Ave stations overnight. For what purpose, may I ask? If a train runs on the Atlantic branch overnights why not make those stops? It will cost the (MTA) the same amount of money either way so why the discrimination? All stops or no stops costs exactly the same amount of money.

Nothing discrimination Train Master. Is it fair that late evenings/last trips on Metro North almost all of the Harlem Line Bronx stops except for Fordham Rd. bypass.

Being fair, I don't think there is a need for Pt Washington line to make every stop in Queens either late evenings/overnights for instance.

You right that LIRR Brooklyn service should stop at all '3' Brooklyn stops at all times when it runs.

Woah!! When did this happen? I never heard of this change. Cutting all overnight service to Flatbush/Atlantic sux big time. I've actually taken a train from Hempstead to Flatbush after dark. It was the shortest and safest way to get home.

Woah!! When did this happen? I never heard of this change. Cutting all overnight service to Flatbush/Atlantic sux big time. I've actually taken a train from Hempstead to Flatbush after dark. It was the shortest and safest way to get home.

Starts this Sunday 6/27 sadly along with tons of other cuts.

Ever since the LIRR was taken over from PRR by (NYCT), they have been running from city zone service like it was a provoked hornet's nest. There are so many closed stations it's not even funny, this is just insult to injury.

- A

It's called the LIRR for a reason, but I will agree that there should be more zone 1 service. What would be a good idea if they want to save on traction and equipment costs is run 2 or 4 car scoots from Jamaica-FBA at 90 min headways. But seeing as it would at times take less time to go to Penn and double back than wait for either current or scoot service, I can see why the cut is being made. But I still don't support it. Worst part of all is that they just spent million$ on a fancy terminal and name change :eek::confused::mad:

It's called the LIRR for a reason, but I will agree that there should be more zone 1 service. What would be a good idea if they want to save on traction and equipment costs is run 2 or 4 car scoots from Jamaica-FBA at 90 min headways. But seeing as it would at times take less time to go to Penn and double back than wait for either current or scoot service, I can see why the cut is being made. But I still don't support it. Worst part of all is that they just spent million$ on a fancy terminal and name change :eek::confused::mad:

Great idea Matt. Not to mention in couple of years for LI fans who going to new Brooklyn Nets or other events at the new arena at the Atlantic Yards and games run past Midnight which once in while it can due to overtime or Playoff start times.

That another reason this is a dumb move by the LIRR.

Why?

Because the (A) doesn't take you to LIRR Flatbush av....

Matter fact, it doesn't connect to any of the trains that currently serve Atlantic av-Pacific st while in Brooklyn.... that's the problem....

during those hours, who's gonna walk around downtown brooklyn from Hoyt-Schermerhorn (which is the closest stop to LIRR Flatbush av), getting off the (A)

to Nevins for the (4)...

to Dekalb for the (D)(N)(Q)...

to Hoyt for the (2)...

I'm not even talking about w/e safety concerns ppl. have walking around all hours of the night... just on the notion that it's cumbersome & all out the way... When you're in the subway system, the average person does not want to leave the system, to have to enter it again to catch another train....

^^ this is exactly why ppl. frown upon OOS transfers, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Taking the (J) to the (A) only helps if you're getting off at LIRR ENY or LIRR Nostrand av.

They can take the (S) to Botanic Garden or Prospect Park for anything they can't get with the (A) or (J).

See guys that my point. That basically already every hour-90 minute headways to/from Atlantic before the canning of overnight service.

Plus the Hempstead branch is already running to/from Jamaica as a shuttle in these cuts so how hard is it to run it to/from Brooklyn every 90 minute-2 hours? I am sure this cut is not saving the (MTA) alot of money at most $500,000 maybe.

While it stinks for anything to be cut, but IMO ending overnight service on the Far Rockaway or even closing East NY and Nostrand Stations late nights should have been done first before this cut. As i said working class people from Brooklyn who don't have cars ie Nurses, Home Health Attendants, etc. who work in Eastern Queens/Nassau and use the LIRR now have a much longer ride.

Bad job by the (MTA).:tdown::mad:

With headways like that, you might as well take an alternative subway route.

Nothing discrimination Train Master. Is it fair that late evenings/last trips on Metro North almost all of the Harlem Line Bronx stops except for Fordham Rd. bypass.

Being fair, I don't think there is a need for Pt Washington line to make every stop in Queens either late evenings/overnights for instance.

You right that LIRR Brooklyn service should stop at all '3' Brooklyn stops at all times when it runs.

Maybe that Bronx thing is because they have subways and buses, so they are not commuter rail priority.

Great idea Matt. Not to mention in couple of years for LI fans who going to new Brooklyn Nets or other events at the new arena at the Atlantic Yards and games run past Midnight which once in while it can due to overtime or Playoff start times.

That another reason this is a dumb move by the LIRR.

You know they're going to come up with, like, special late night game trains, or something.

Maybe they're doing it also because the Nets, who are moving there,stink!

Then they should be providing more services not less. A lot of people will take LIRR to Atlantic once the arena opens. For concerts, events or basketball games.

Stay on the (A) for the (F) at Jay Street, making the (R) accessable. Brighton's available by way of (S) and (Q).

Hey man just have to agree to disagree. M7zanr160s just to let you know that, already some LIRR branches(unless things changed) like the Pt Washington and Long Beach lines run from Penn Station w/ 90 minute-2 hour headways overnights. So should at least the Hempstead line which is running to/from Jamaica as a 'scoot aka shuttle' instead of to/from Flatbush and Atlantic Ave as a compromise. Not to mention the (MTA) just wasted tens of millions in rebuliding the Atlantic Terminal as well w/ the end of overnight service.

are we sure this is still going through? the MTA website doesnt mention it anymore, and I can get City Terminal Zone timetables from now till september 12th that say it still runs there, same with Greenport branch and West Hempstead on weekends.

are we sure this is still going through? the MTA website doesnt mention it anymore, and I can get City Terminal Zone timetables from now till september 12th that say it still runs there, same with Greenport branch and West Hempstead on weekends.

The end of Brooklyn LIRR overnight service is still on and scheduled for Sept. 2010.

Here link from the MTA.

http://mta.info/news/pdf/LIRR_Revised_Service_Changes.pdf

2010 Long Island Rail Road Service Reductions

Profile of Elements

Page 13

Atlantic Branch: Discontinue Late Night Service to Brooklyn

Description of Action Discontinue Jamaica-Atlantic Terminal service from midnight to 5 AM

on weekdays and from midnight to 6 AM on weekends

o Night service trains to Atlantic Terminal from the Hempstead, Far

Rockaway and Long Beach branches will terminate in Jamaica

Branches Affected Atlantic Branch (NYC)

Customer Impacts At Jamaica, customers can change to a train that operates from the

Mainline to Babylon branches to Penn Station and then transfer to

the subway

Total Daily Customers Affected: 430 weekdays, 720 weekends

o Weekdays: 130 westbound riders and 300 eastbound riders

o Weekends: 260 westbound riders and 460 eastbound riders

Net Annual Savings $498,000

Implementation Date Sept 2010

Archived