Question... service to Waterbury, CT

B35 via Church

Just went on the (MTA) website, and I wanted to see how infrequent service to Waterbury is.... much to my surprise, I see this pop up:

0wtrbry54.gif

Can someone explain how 4 different trains reach Waterbury (which is single tracked, mind you) at the exact same time....

Four trains out of GCT have connections to trains out of Bridgeport that run the Waterbury Branch and arrive in Waterbury at 6:52 pm. The first two trains out of GCT (3:48 pm and 4:09 pm, respectively) make an initial connection at Stamford; the times shown in parentheses are the arrival times out of GCT and the departure times out of Stamford. Both of those trains, as well as the second set of trains out of GCT (4:12 pm and 4:35 pm, respectively) make connections with the Waterbury-bound train Bridgeport, which departs Bridgeport at 5:55 pm and arrives in Waterbury at 6:52 pm.

Thus, four trains out of GCT will connect to one train that terminates in Waterbury at 6:52 pm.

I hope that helps.

The way it's notated there (on the site) can be rather confusing, if you're an out-of-towner....

Don't feel bad, there are many travelers that are not out-of-towners that can't comprehend the schedules (at a minimum).

Then there are the ones that go to Grand Central buy a ticket to their destination then ask is this travel by train or plane? Or the ones wanting to go to Washington DC, Boston, Canada or somewhere else that Metro North does not go to. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Don't feel bad, there are many travelers that are not out-of-towners that can't comprehend the schedules (at a minimum).

Then there are the ones that go to Grand Central buy a ticket to their destination then ask is this travel by train or plane? Or the ones wanting to go to Washington DC, Boston, Canada or somewhere else that Metro North does not go to. :confused: :confused: :confused:

My personal favorite people are the ones who walk past the bumper block, board the rear car of the consist, and then ask which way the train is going. On one particular occasion, a snotty pair of aristocrats who displayed some gross attitude while strutting around the Main Concourse, boarded the train asking me if it was "the train to New Haven." I replied that it was. Of course, it was an express run that skipped Harlem-125th, the first stop being Fairfield. When the conductor came through for fare collection and informed them that the train did not stop at Rowayton, I was met with a pair of glares so cold that I thought that I might get frostbite. "This train doesn't go to New Haven! You said that it did! We're going to miss our stop and now we'll have to go all the way back because of you!"

"This train DOES go to New Haven. It just doesn't stop at every station," I replied with a smartassed smirk.

My personal favorite people are the ones who walk past the bumper block, board the rear car of the consist, and then ask which way the train is going. On one particular occasion, a snotty pair of aristocrats who displayed some gross attitude while strutting around the Main Concourse, boarded the train asking me if it was "the train to New Haven." I replied that it was. Of course, it was an express run that skipped Harlem-125th, the first stop being Fairfield. When the conductor came through for fare collection and informed them that the train did not stop at Rowayton, I was met with a pair of glares so cold that I thought that I might get frostbite. "This train doesn't go to New Haven! You said that it did! We're going to miss our stop and now we'll have to go all the way back because of you!"

"This train DOES go to New Haven. It just doesn't stop at every station," I replied with a smartassed smirk.

People can be idiots sometimes. Or they just don't like to be wrong.

On one particular occasion, a snotty pair of aristocrats who displayed some gross attitude while strutting around the Main Concourse, boarded the train asking me if it was "the train to New Haven." I replied that it was. Of course, it was an express run that skipped Harlem-125th, the first stop being Fairfield. When the conductor came through for fare collection and informed them that the train did not stop at Rowayton, I was met with a pair of glares so cold that I thought that I might get frostbite. "This train doesn't go to New Haven! You said that it did! We're going to miss our stop and now we'll have to go all the way back because of you!"

That's a common problem. Clueless passengers will often come to the ticket window for a ticket to New Haven (or Southeast, or Poughkeepise).

After asking the customer "are YOU going to New Haven", they say "yes".

I then ask "YOU are getting off the train at New Haven". They say "yes".

I sell them a New Haven ticket. They ask for the track and time the train leaves, I tell them.

Then they will ask "What time does that train get to South Norwalk"?

I ask "why"?

There reply is "because that's where I'm going".

I then proceed to tell them "I just sold them a $14.00 ticket to New Haven instead of a $9.75 ticket to South Norwalk because I asked you if YOU were going to New Haven and YOU said YES"!

The look on their face... priceless!

When I was working for the TA museum, we did a trip up to Shoreline one saturday. We hopped on an early New Haven Express. The train pulls into Fordham and a woman yells across (the bridgeplates were up on the northbound side) if the train is going to Stamford. I had been standing near the doors and I yell back yes, it's the next stop and she scampers on. We pull into Stamford and she askes where to get the train to New Haven...

rofl

Archived