Real Estate Agents Grin; Bushwick Happy With New Orange (M)

I know Bushwick residents would be happy about the new (M) heading to Midtown and the West Village. Although some worry about residents in Glendale and Middle Village, most of those guys would use the (M) too, but on the Queens Blvd line as they take a bus to either Grand Av, Woodhaven Blvd, or Roosevelt Av.

Don't start dancing yet.There is still 2 weeks till it starts.Who knows if more money will come to the MTA.

It's gonna happen even if more money (somehow) goes to the (MTA).they already changed most of the signs to reflect the service changes on June 28th.

Don't start dancing yet.There is still 2 weeks till it starts.Who knows if more money will come to the MTA.

Well since they've already placed the (M) stickers 'like everywhere' now, this is still going to happen. If they had the money, they would not be in such a hurry to change all the signs this far in advance.

Face it. Money doesn't grow on trees. We're still in recession and the state government's on the verge of shutting down (if not already). Like as others pointed out, signs have changed.

Of course, there are people that hate the change for obvious reasons. But if the line benefits the greater whole, we'll see. As I said, one hour of observation can't give you an accurate verdict whether the new line is purposeful. It takes months, if not a year to come to a true and accurate conclusions. Assumptions don't lead always lead to the truth.

Bushwick has been changing for a long time now. Same goes for Ridgewood, although it's been slower to become "cool" or "hip" and is less obviously so even now - although it's noticably hipper than it was when I first started coming out here in the late '90s. For better or worse this is going to make it a cooler place to be.

Luckily I have a good relationship with my landlady so I'm praying my rent won't go up TOO much. (I don't think she really wants to move in a pierced hipster, thank god.) The rest of you should buy or try to lock your rent in long term!

If a last minute infusion of cash comes through from the Feds - and that's a longshot - I'd hope that this change would be the LAST one that would be reversed. Restore some of the buses that are going to get cut, restore the (W), run a train out to Bay Parkway (be it the (J), the (Z), or an "<R>"), decrease the headways on the (M) - all of those would be good uses for new money. But the (M2) to the (M) is a good idea that should have been done years ago, regardless of cuts.

If a last minute infusion of cash comes through from the Feds - and that's a longshot - I'd hope that this change would be the LAST one that would be reversed. Restore some of the buses that are going to get cut, restore the (W), run a train out to Bay Parkway (be it the (J), the (Z), or an "<R>"), decrease the headways on the (M) - all of those would be good uses for new money. But the (M2) to the (M) is a good idea that should have been done years ago, regardless of cuts.

Red- Agreed. Some neighborhoods are getting vital buses cut.

Green-Agreed. Astoria ridership demands it, and B'way needs two expresses.

Blue-IMO, it should either go to 9 Avenue, 59 Street, or even 62 Street. However, Bay Pkwy is too much. Also, as to the route to send down, why not the (W)?

Purple-Agreed. QBL needs a lot of trains.

Black-Agreed. The (J)(M2)(Z) line neighborhoods need a direct or almost-direct ride to Midtown.

Bushwick has been changing for a long time now. Same goes for Ridgewood, although it's been slower to become "cool" or "hip" and is less obviously so even now - although it's noticably hipper than it was when I first started coming out here in the late '90s. For better or worse this is going to make it a cooler place to be.

Luckily I have a good relationship with my landlady so I'm praying my rent won't go up TOO much. (I don't think she really wants to move in a pierced hipster, thank god.) The rest of you should buy or try to lock your rent in long term!

The last time they tried to do something where they sent the Jamaica line over into Bensonhurst was right after 9/11. They were kind of forced to, that's why they had to expedite the clean up to get the (R) line between Canal and the tunnel online again. That's why it won't work.

Also, when they do those GOs, you do realise that they keep the regular (J) weekend service while running a service similar to the <R> and capped that as the (J) shuttle.

By creating a rush hour (W) that could go to Bay Parkway is like killing two birds with one stone. You already named the birds.

The last time they tried to do something where they sent the Jamaica line over into Bensonhurst was right after 9/11. They were kind of forced to, that's why they had to expedite the clean up to get the (R) line between Canal and the tunnel online again. That's why it won't work.

Also, when they do those GOs, you do realise that they keep the regular (J) weekend service while running a service similar to the <R> and capped that as the (J) shuttle.

By creating a rush hour (W) that could go to Bay Parkway is like killing two birds with one stone. You already named the birds.

I'm not really saying what the service pattern should be to southern Brooklyn if there was an infusion of cash. Only that a good use of that theoretical money would be to restore the cut service there, while keeping the (M). Maybe a (W) down there would work best.

Not that I'm expecting to see that money anytime soon....

I'm not really saying what the service pattern should be to southern Brooklyn if there was an infusion of cash. Only that a good use of that theoretical money would be to restore the cut service there, while keeping the (M). Maybe a (W) down there would work best.

Not that I'm expecting to see that money anytime soon....

You do know.. that many cuts that were made are permanent. Examples include the Culver Shuttle, the Bronx section of the Third Avenue El etc... These are small cuts compared to the ones I just named, but just saying, even if the money is available, this famous bureaucracy tends to spend it on other things.

You do know.. that many cuts that were made are permanent. Examples include the Culver Shuttle, the Bronx section of the Third Avenue El etc... These are small cuts compared to the ones I just named, but just saying, even if the money is available, this famous bureaucracy tends to spend it on other things.

That is true, although the Culver Shuttle and the Third Ave (which was supposed to be replaced by the SAS) were not just cut, their els were demolished. Same is more or less true for the downtown Brooklyn portion of the Myrtle Ave el. That won't be the case on the 28th since there will still be service out to Bay Parkway, just not as much. If this really proves to be a hardship for the people who live there, and if money comes into the system, one of the top priorities should be to restore that service. (Of course, if it turns out not to be such a big deal than the money should be spent elsewhere.)

Interesting article from the "Daily News" today about the President, BP, Senator Schumer, and the subways:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2010/06/17/2010-06-17_drill_baby_drill__more_subways.html

With now 10 days to go, it would be nothing short of miraculous if enough money came to the (MTA) to avert these cuts. Unfortunately, these cuts are looking more and more like they will be reality.

With now 10 days to go, it would be nothing short of miraculous if enough money came to the (MTA) to avert these cuts. Unfortunately, these cuts are looking more and more like they will be reality.

yea its bad enough the new subway map looks incomplete without the service guide on the bottom of it telling ppl how the trains will operate, times of operations, etc.

now, my question is:

Do we really need 2 4 Av Express trains? cant they just have the (N) operate Local From Ditmars Blvd to Canal St, run via Bridge to DeKalb Av, then Local to Coney Island? With the loss of the (M2), the only local thats going to be there is the (R). the (D) can still be the express along 4 Ave.

That is not happening, the signs have changed and thousands of dollars were already injected to make the new maps. If more money arrives, I would reallocate them to repairing infrastructure.

yea its bad enough the new subway map looks incomplete without the service guide on the bottom of it telling ppl how the trains will operate, times of operations, etc.

now, my question is:

Do we really need 2 4 Av Express trains? cant they just have the (N) operate Local From Ditmars Blvd to Canal St, run via Bridge to DeKalb Av, then Local to Coney Island? With the loss of the (M2), the only local thats going to be there is the (R). the (D) can still be the express along 4 Ave.

I'm not sure if that would work. Last time the (N) went local on 4th Avenue, those along the Sea Beach Line complained about it, especially those in the Asian Community who wanted an express ride over the bridge to Chinatown.

I'm not sure if that would work. Last time the (N) went local on 4th Avenue, those along the Sea Beach Line complained about it, especially those in the Asian Community who wanted an express ride over the bridge to Chinatown.

But hey, there are always those cheap and perhaps unsafe illegal vans that shuttle between their homes and Chinatown. Just saying...

How about sending the (D) local north of 36 Street?

I don't really think it pays to send either the (N) or (D) as a 4th Avenue local because local trains put more wear-and-tear on the cars, not to mention that you are paying the operators for the extra runtime.

Plus, if the (D) was local, it would have to cross over to the Brighton Line track at DeKalb Avenue. It is easy enough to do it at night when trains run every 20 minutes, but trains run every 6-8 minutes during rush hour, and every 3-4 minutes on each track involved.

I don't really think it pays to send either the (N) or (D) as a 4th Avenue local because local trains put more wear-and-tear on the cars, not to mention that you are paying the operators for the extra runtime.

Plus, if the (D) was local, it would have to cross over to the Brighton Line track at DeKalb Avenue. It is easy enough to do it at night when trains run every 20 minutes, but trains run every 6-8 minutes during rush hour, and every 3-4 minutes on each track involved.

(D) is already a long route, having additional stops may not be too wise.

True. Agreed. Never mind about that. So it seems the only alternative is increasing (R) service or making an <R>.

Archived