B67/69 schedule

jacsnyy

So, being a resident of the slope, I was checking the schedules for the new B67/69 combination. During Rush hour, along 7th Avenue, the B69 is due to arrive ONE minute after the B67 going towards Kensington. Well, that is a sure fire way to kill the B69 ridership. Have the B67 pick up all the passengers and let the B69 run empty. Great. I'm going to call it now, the B69 will not make it past any other cuts.

Also, the B61 is going to be giving 9th street more service than it has ever had before. Which is nice, but buses may be running empty after 5th Avenue.

So, being a resident of the slope, I was checking the schedules for the new B67/69 combination. During Rush hour, along 7th Avenue, the B69 is due to arrive ONE minute after the B67 going towards Kensington. Well, that is a sure fire way to kill the B69 ridership. Have the B67 pick up all the passengers and let the B69 run empty. Great. I'm going to call it now, the B69 will not make it past any other cuts.

Also, the B61 is going to be giving 9th street more service than it has ever had before. Which is nice, but buses may be running empty after 5th Avenue.

A couple of things:

1) Where did you get the new schedules?

2) Couldn't they have a couple of B61s short-turn at 5th Avenue. I notice by looking at the current frequencies on the back of the bus map that the B61 is more frequent than the B77, which is more frequent than the B75. If that is the case, couldn't they have a few buses terminate at the ''old'' terminals by Ikea and 5th Avenue/10th Street?

3) As far as the B69 goes, that is a smart way to get rid of the B69. The question is: How will the ridership be north of Flatbush Avenue, along Vanderbilt Avenue? If it is still decent, maybe the B69 will get lucky and only be cut back to Grand Army Plaza (coming from the north) come the next round of cuts.

A couple of things:

1) Where did you get the new schedules?

2) Couldn't they have a couple of B61s short-turn at 5th Avenue. I notice by looking at the current frequencies on the back of the bus map that the B61 is more frequent than the B77, which is more frequent than the B75. If that is the case, couldn't they have a few buses terminate at the ''old'' terminals by Ikea and 5th Avenue/10th Street?

3) As far as the B69 goes, that is a smart way to get rid of the B69. The question is: How will the ridership be north of Flatbush Avenue, along Vanderbilt Avenue? If it is still decent, maybe the B69 will get lucky and only be cut back to Grand Army Plaza (coming from the north) come the next round of cuts.

I just used Trip Planner from Union Street, 9th Street and other stops along 7th Avenue. (trip planner post june 27 is using the new schedules.)

Well, short turns would make sense, but I think that they won't happen. They want that connection with the B68 at the park.

And Vanderbilt is going to be where all the ridership comes from, but they may be able justify cutting the route all together because now it's a longer route with less ridership.

You're assuming the B67 will run like clockwork....

The B35/35 LTD is similar to that setup (one running behind the other, a minute or so apart)...

I don't see (that alone) as a surefire way to kill off the B69...

What'll end up happening is, the B67 will pick up one set of passengers @ one stop... the 69 will pass that 67 along the line... then the 69 will pick up the next set of passengers at the next stop or two.... and it'll keep on with that pattern going down 7th...

The B69 along Vanderbilt is where the majority of that route's ridership's always been, anyway...

If anything, routing the 69 down 7th, was a last ditch attempt in keeping it around...

B35. Maybe you're right about the skip-stop along 7th Avenue, but I do find it a bit sneaky for the MTA to put the schedules that close together. The B69 is not a limited like the B35LTD (with that schedule arraignment) Who knows if it will work, but I don't see the B69 lasting if there are another round of cuts, especially with it's scheduling done like that.

I only brought that up b/c it's the first route that came to mind, where buses are scheduled to run that close to one another.... nooo way was I comparing the two routes, bro.

....and don't think I don't see your point...

No reason to have 69's runnin that close to 67's, when ridership along 7th (or for the matter, most anywhere else) doesn't warrant that...

But what I will say though, is, I think it's sneakier to have the 69 parallel the 67... which would have any non-transit [buff] or [enthusiast] thinking "we're getting double the service !!"

...until people take a look at the *new* 67 schedule, and compare it with what & how they already know the current (for the time being) B67 runs....

talk about a rude awakening.

Not to get too off topic. I always thought that the B69 should have ran somewhere to Williamsburg Plaza since a growing number of people who live in Williamsburg/Greenpoint are traveling to Clinton Hill/Park Slope/Lefferts Gardens and vice versa since the (G) is often shut on weekend for "G/O's.

Also the B62 at times being delayed due to traffic from it's long trip to/from Queens Plaza as well.

That would have increased ridership more.

The B69 going to Downtown Brooklyn IMO is redudant and riders going to Downtown can transfer to the several crosstown buses along Vanderbelt or the B41 and also soon the B67 from along 7th Ave.

Not to get too off topic. I always thought that the B69 should have ran somewhere to Williamsburg Plaza since a growing number of people who live in Williamsburg/Greenpoint are traveling to Clinton Hill/Park Slope/Lefferts Gardens and vice versa since the (G) is often shut on weekend for "G/O's.

The B69 going to Downtown Brooklyn IMO is redudant and riders going to Downtown can transfer to the several crosstown buses along Vanderbelt or the B41 and also soon the B67 from along 7th Ave.

I agree that the B69 should go to Williamsburg instead of Downtown Brooklyn, but that might cause more people to use it. The MTA wants less ridership so they can reduce service and their deficit. If more people ride, then they have to add service which costs money.

I think their plan is to kill the B67. People are not going to want to take the B69 to get to Downtown Brooklyn. They will take the 69 and change for the B41 if they have to wait too long for the 67. They will say ridership has declined on the 67 and it is redundant with the 69 and 41 and not needed.

When Park Slope protests, then they will say that they will keep the 67 only if they can discontinue the 63 north of 39 St saying it parallels the 4th Avenue subway and not needed. And one of them will go.

I also predict that in the next round of cuts, the B64 will terminate at the VA Hospital instead of serving Bath Avenue.

Also the B62 at times being delayed due to traffic from it's long trip to/from Queens Plaza as well.

That would have increased ridership more.

What would the routing be? By your logic that riders can transfer to crosstown buses to get to Downtown Brooklyn, they can also transfer to the B62 to get to Williamsburg.

I agree that the B69 should go to Williamsburg instead of Downtown Brooklyn, but that might cause more people to use it. The MTA wants less ridership so they can reduce service and their deficit. If more people ride, then they have to add service which costs money.

I think their plan is to kill the B67. People are not going to want to take the B69 to get to Downtown Brooklyn. They will take the 69 and change for the B41 if they have to wait too long for the 67. They will say ridership has declined on the 67 and it is redundant with the 69 and 41 and not needed.

When Park Slope protests, then they will say that they will keep the 67 only if they can discontinue the 63 north of 39 St saying it parallels the 4th Avenue subway and not needed. And one of them will go.

I also predict that in the next round of cuts, the B64 will terminate at the VA Hospital instead of serving Bath Avenue.

The B67 is more frequent than the B69. Therefore, they can't eliminate it completely or the crowds on the B69 would be ridiculous.

As far as getting more people to ride the service, it depends on how many more people ride the service. If the bus is still half-empty as opposed to having 8-10 people, then they would've saved more money by eliminating it. However, if the bus is SRO crowded as opposed to having 8-10 people, then they saved the same amount of money by routing it more effectively as opposed to discontinuing it.

What would the routing be? By your logic that riders can transfer to crosstown buses to get to Downtown Brooklyn, they can also transfer to the B62 to get to Williamsburg.

Easy. It would turn eastbound onto Flushing Ave. then onto Kent Ave(currently no bus service)and finally Broadway and terminate at the Marcy Ave station for (J) and (M) lines. On the B69 currently, on most trips other than rush hours, the bus is 'empty' aka 0 riders between Flushing/Vanderbelt and Jay/Nassau Sts. every day as the route goes to an area of Downtown Brooklyn no body wants to goes to.

I suggest Williamsburg Plaza for the B69 since besides the Brooklyn Navy Yard you have these advantages.1)Growing Movie Studio on Flushing and Kent Aves now used 7 days a week. 2)the Walk to the B62 is several blocks away. 3)Increased service for those living on Kent and the East River and the Marcy Ave station. 4)1-fare bus ride between Park Slope/Lefferts Gardens/Clinton Hill and the Q54/59 to/from Queens.

Replies checkmatechamp13, B35 or anyone else?

seems like ppl. are now on that "extending the 69 to williamsburg" bandwagon... I don't agree with it... for the simple fact that the 62 running along park (with which the 69 has a connection to, mind you), that service would be nothing more than redundant..... mta went through the whole thing with splitting the old 61, into the current 61/62 [b/c riders were bitching about "this bus gets stuck in twaffic too much, especially in downtown bwookwin"...]... they made their bed with that, now let em lie in it.... besides, we don't need anymore "duplicative routings" now do we.....

.....and it's a bold-faced lie that there's a growing number of williamsburg residents traveling to park slope... for starters, ridership on the (G) is surely not indicative of that.... maybe there are people driving in swarms b/w the 2 general areas? yeah right..... you don't have to resort to lying, to side/agree with/support with an idea

and what is this about trying to kill off the 67? virtually no one took the 69 to jay/sands to get (walk to) downtown... outside of schoolkids, barely anyone took the 69, period.... so now supposedly the master plan is to eventually kill the 67 (which has the ridership, and the support of the community), have park slope riders that currently take the 67, all get forced onto 69's (with no weekend service, to boot), to xfer to the 41 if they need to get downtown? What?

This looks like they're the turning the B67/69 combo into the Bx1/2, Bx40/42 Q111/113 combo

Looking at the map, it would appear that way...

However, there's a big difference in all those other "combos" you listed, compared to this 67/69... which is... The Bx1/2 helped add service along the concourse... the 40/42 service did decrease, but this was due to the fact that artics were added to both those routes... Q113 is, for the most part, a ltd version of the Q111.... and the more obvious difference b/w those combos, and the 67/69 is ridership; 7th av in Brooklyn can't compare w/ that of GC, E. Tremont, and Guy R Brewer.... but we both know that, so.. yeh....

This B67/69 combo lessens/worsens bus service along 7th av... no artics, nothin like that... I see not one positive that'll emerge from this change... but of course, as with all these "doomsday" cuts, it remains to be seen....

fin.

Easy. It would turn eastbound onto Flushing Ave. then onto Kent Ave(currently no bus service)and finally Broadway and terminate at the Marcy Ave station for (J) and (M) lines. On the B69 currently, on most trips other than rush hours, the bus is 'empty' aka 0 riders between Flushing/Vanderbelt and Jay/Nassau Sts. every day as the route goes to an area of Downtown Brooklyn no body wants to goes to.

I suggest Williamsburg Plaza for the B69 since besides the Brooklyn Navy Yard you have these advantages.1)Growing Movie Studio on Flushing and Kent Aves now used 7 days a week. 2)the Walk to the B62 is several blocks away. 3)Increased service for those living on Kent and the East River and the Marcy Ave station. 4)1-fare bus ride between Park Slope/Lefferts Gardens/Clinton Hill and the Q54/59 to/from Queens.

It doesn't seem a bad idea. However

1) Flushing/Kent is already served by the B57/B62

2) Kent Avenue is 1 block from Wythe Avenue, except for that area between Divison Avenue and Broadway, which is only a 5 minute walk from the B62.

If, as you say, buses are empty off-peak, it couldn't be less effective. After all, it does provide service to another destination besides Downtown Brooklyn (which is what all of the transit services in Park Slope provide ((F)/(G) trains, B67, B41, B63)

seems like ppl. are now on that "extending the 69 to williamsburg bandwagon"... I don't agree with it... for the simple fact that the 62 running along park (with which the 69 has a connection to, mind you), that service would be nothing more than redundant..... mta went through the whole thing with splitting the old 61, into the current 61/62 [b/c riders were bitching about "this bus gets stuck in twaffic too much, especially in downtown bwookwin"...]... they made their bed with that, now let em lie in it.... besides, we don't need anymore "duplicative routings" now do we.....

.....and it's a bold-faced lie that there's a growing number of williamsburg residents are traveling to park slope... for starters, ridership on the (G) is surely not indicative of that.... and there would be a significant increase of riders on the 67 if that were the caseyou don't have to resort to lying, to side/agree with/support with an idea

now all of a sudden, they're trying to kill the 67? I don't see it... virtually no one took the 69 to jay/sands to get downtown... outside of schoolkids, barely anyone took the 69, period.... so now supposedly their master plan is to try to shift the ridership onto the 69, kill off the 67, and have park slope riders that currently take the 67, board 69's, to xfer to the 41? sorry fellaz, don't see it.

Looking at the map, it would appear that way...

However, there's a big difference in all those other "combos" you listed, compared to this 67/69... which is... The Bx1/2 helped add service along the concourse... the 40/42 service did decrease, but this was due to the fact that artics were added to both those routes... Q113 is, for the most part, a ltd version of the Q111....

This B67/69 combo lessens/worsens bus service along 7th av... no artics, nothin like that... I see not one positive that'll emerge from this change... but of course, as with all these "doomsday" cuts, it remains to be seen....

fin.

As far as duplicative routings go, you could argue that the B69 is redundant with the B57 on Flushing Avenue, and, to an extent, the B62 on Park Avenue.

I agree about not trying to kill of the B67. They are trying to reduce service by 1/3rd, but I wouldn't say they would be resorting to killing it. If they did, they would have to give those extra buses to the B69, which would take away any savings. The only thing that I could see them doing is cut back the B67 to Flatbush Avenue. (It's not the same as making short-turn B69s because the B67 would run weekends).

The positive that emerges from this change is that riders on 7th Avenue have a service that takes them to a different neighborhood. If nothing else, if there is traffic along Flatbush Avenue, the B69 wouldn't get caught in it.

Bold#1: which is why I think it should travel no further than the back end of the whitman houses... for those unfamiliar with the area, (I said this in another thread, but I'll repeat it)...

Have buses (69's) continue NB on vanderbilt, then turn left on myrtle, turn right on north portland, turn right on park (last dropoff spot would be right at that corner - there's a B62 stop currently there; which is a popular stop heading towards Queens)... layover & first pick up stop would be over there on adelphi/park....

Bold #2: yeah, but along Vanderbilt, the walk to the B62 is ONE block away... that's the thing....

....and to CC (sabathia.... kidding... CheckmateChamp), I do think the 69 is redundant w/ the 57 on flushing... worse, that part of flushing av (b/w navy & vanderbilt) is dead anyway...

furthermore, regarding the project bldg's surrounding sands, navy, york, and gold sts, esp. at that stop over on sands/navy, riders either take the 57 or the 62... it's been that way ever since I was a kid growing up, often visiting my grand'folks right across the street from that stop (well back when it was the 57 & the 61, but yeh)... wadn't no one waitin for no 69... and they still aint... lol....

Bold#1: which is why I think it should travel no further than the back end of the whitman houses... for those unfamiliar with the area, (I said this in another thread, but I'll repeat it)...

Have buses (69's) continue NB on vanderbilt, then turn left on myrtle, turn right on north portland, turn right on park (last dropoff spot would be right at that corner - there's a B62 stop currently there; which is a popular stop heading towards Queens)... layover & first pick up stop would be over there on adelphi/park....

Bold #2: yeah, but along Vanderbilt, the walk to the B62 is ONE block away... that's the thing....

....and to CC (sabathia.... kidding... CheckmateChamp), I do think the 69 is redundant w/ the 57 on flushing... worse, that part of flushing av (b/w navy & vanderbilt) is dead anyway...

furthermore, regarding the project bldg's surrounding sands, navy, york, and gold sts, esp. at that stop over on sands/navy, riders either take the 57 or the 62... it's been that way ever since I was a kid growing up, often visiting my grand'folks right across the street from that stop (well back when it was the 57 & the 61, but yeh)... wadn't no one waitin for no 69... and they still aint... lol....

Great idea bro. If my B69 idea of extending it to Williamsburg Plaza is not possible(in these times it would happen for while) makes sense.

Another idea besides the WBP extension which the (MTA) could have been looked at IMO, is to run the B69 between Vanberbilt/Flushing and Flatbush/Beverly. This could have been an replacement for part of the soon to be gone B23 along Cortelyou Rd till Mcdonald Ave while the B67 was sent to 62nd St station via 16th Ave weekdays only via B23 and give Boro Park riders 1-seat access to Park Slope and Downtown Brooklyn?

What you guys think of the B69 to Flatbush/Beverly while the B67 (every other bus weekdays only until 9pm) could have been extended to 62nd St (D)(N) station in Boro Park?

How about keeping the B23 period? Courtelyou Rd is gonna look barren without it. A little off topic, but all these routes got hit with double whammies (no overnight service, no weekend service) why are routes like the M106, Q34 and 103 still exist? And for B35, this B67/69 combo mirrors another "combo" so to speak, the Q25/34, except the B67 isn't a LTD of course. Nor should it be

How about keeping the B23 period? Courtelyou Rd is gonna look barren without it. A little off topic, but all these routes got hit with double whammies (no overnight service, no weekend service) why are routes like the M106, Q34 and 103 still exist? And for B35, this B67/69 combo mirrors another "combo" so to speak, the Q25/34, except the B67 isn't a LTD of course. Nor should it be

As i stated among all of the cuts i only agree with the (MTA) on canning overnight service on the M8, M22, M50, B7, B31 and B65. The others were a joke.

Do you think they give a damn? The transit buffs might care but the unofficial motto of the (MTA) is F U. We don't give a damn.

Of course not, because they're too busy crying broke every year. Them transit buffs as you call them are probably taking a couple mil for themselves

Archived