Kaity Tong and others suffered from age discrimination, says former WPIX-TV News Boss

Shortline Bus

Kaity Tong, Sal Marchiano and others suffered from age discrimination, WPIX's ex-news director says

BY Scott Shifrel and Richard Huff

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Tuesday, June 15th 2010

WPIX's former news director has slapped the station with a dishy $4.5 million lawsuit that says she and New York news legends Marvin Scott, Sal Marchiano and Kaity Tong all suffered from age discrimination.

Karen Scott, who was fired last August from the Tribune-owned Channel 11, says she was let go because of her age, 60 - and not sagging news ratings as she was told. She maintains her firing was consistent with the way the station handled other senior staffers by either firing them, or reducing their roles.

Former station general manager Betty Ellen Berlamino is blamed for setting the ageist tone at Channel 11 in Scott's suit, filed yesterday.

In it, she reveals that in 2009, 72-year-old veteran reporter Marvin Scott's (no relation) role was greatly reduced.

And the accused hatchet lady coldly asked, "Why doesn't he just retire already?" the suit claims.

Tong, one of Channel 11's main anchors, was also a target, so they loaded the 59-year-old New York TV veteran with more work to try to get her to quit.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/06/15/2010-06-15_wpix_lawsuit.html#ixzz0qzocMl00

Here are a couple of more that I would like to see off the airwaves. CBS:Marcia Kramer, Maggee Hickey she is nasty looking. Remember that wench Penny Crone? Fox 5? lol

I hope they throw out this lawsuit, rich people with inflated egos who just want more money and are using this "age discrimination" as an excuse just so they can sue. Kaity Tong has been on TV for 29 years! she is 61...she was making 750k yr and this was in the early 90's.

Oh and the fatasses should be taken off as well. Channel 4 Pat Battle comes to mind. This is TV where what you see matters. Al Roker was told by someone early on his career that he had the perfect face for radio.

Here are a couple of more that I would like to see off the airwaves. CBS:Marcia Kramer, Maggee Hickey she is nasty looking. Remember that wench Penny Crone? Fox 5? lol

I hope they throw out this lawsuit, rich people with inflated egos who just want more money and are using this "age discrimination" as an excuse just so they can sue. Kaity Tong has been on TV for 29 years! she is 61...she was making 750k yr and this was in the early 90's.

Oh and the fatasses should be taken off as well. Channel 4 Pat Battle comes to mind. This is TV where what you see matters. Al Roker was told by someone early on his career that he had the perfect face for radio.

In NYC, the age issue of TV anchors/reporters is not that big. If anything the age bias situation is more of a problem more in smaller cities/markets.

Just go to nearby towns like Syrcause, Albany, Springfield, Mass. etc where at some stations you lucky to see a On air person over age 40.

Also don't forget Ch.4 has Co-Anchors Chuck Scarborugh and Sue Simmons who are the longest serving anchor team in NY Television history for at least 30 years. Or even on the national news where Bob Scarifer(CBS) Larry King(CNN) and recently retired Charles Gibson(ABC)are all 70 years of age or older.

Totally disagree. People [viewers] do like to watch ppl they know. When a channel 'shakes things up', they end up killing their core audience. Just because you don't like how they look [not like a younger more attractive person], doesn't mean it's automatically a bad thing ratings wise.

I mean if you had a job based on appearence, would you like it if you were fired because you looked old?

• 1 month later...

Archived