Some progress

Joe

You bastard, I left the cotter pins on the gear case for you! Haha.

On the #1 end gear case, I cut my arm nicely on the plastic insulators behind the shoe beams. That nut was very tedious to tighten up.

As for the car-borne tripping device..."oh for the love of George Westinghouse!"

BTW as an update to this thread MOST of 1689's truck is back together. All necessary welding/solder work has been completed (this was minor and unrelated to the structure of the truck), most of the truck has the cotter pins back in it, the car borne tripping device was reinstalled, and only a few things remain. Namely, dropping grease into the gear case, cottering up the gear case nuts/bolts, and possibly a second coat of paint. Also remaining is installing the cleats so that the motor leads are placed correctly and regreasing the center casting. After the truck is placed back underneath the R9, the shoe beams will be reattached.

So we are nearing the end. Soon 1689 will be fully operational again, barring any unforeseen setbacks.

TRIP COCK, it's a motherf**king TRIP COCK! Now is the train a lay-up or pit in and are all the angle cocks set?

TRIP COCK, it's a motherf**king TRIP COCK! Now is the train a lay-up or pit in and are all the angle cocks set?

Geez you sound like our resident chief engineer.

Sounds like you got too much COCK on the brain...

On the #1 end gear case, I cut my arm nicely on the plastic insulators behind the shoe beams. That nut was very tedious to tighten up.

My new thing has been pinching the skin of my index fingers, most recently between a bolthead and the truck frame...

As for the car-borne tripping device..."oh for the love of George Westinghouse!"

He'll get over it.

Geez you sound like our resident chief engineer.

Sounds like you got too much COCK on the brain...

Someone's funny.... Is JH going to leave the trip functioning or is he going to cut it out?

Someone's funny.... Is JH going to leave the trip functioning or is he going to cut it out?

He's going to cut it out since it won't serve any purpose on the railroad except to unexpectedly cause flat wheels and long toss customers and crew should we encounter some debris or a well placed rock down the mainline.

• 2 weeks later...
Which truck is temporarily being used on 1689 while this one was getting repaired?

A modified Broad Street subway car truck was used as a shop truck between November and this past week while we overhauled 1689's real motor truck. (The Broad Street truck was the really rusty looking thing you probably saw when you came up). Now, 1689 has its truck back. Soon, the car will be ready to run again barring any unforeseen setbacks.

Just a quick mobile phone photo of the car in the shop. It's a lot more imposing in-person than it appears to be. The car is much longer and wider than the cars that usually find themselves in the shop. The truck you see in front of the car isn't related at all to 1689 (it's a truck for an Atlanta streetcar).

b01a6e49.jpg

Archived