Questions ABout 2nd Ave. Subway

Donald

I've always had a few questiosn about the SAS that I thought I would share.

1. How will the <Q> go to 125th St. if it is going to Astoria after the (W) is discontinued? Will the (W) be brought back?

2. Why are the stations on the SAS so far apart?

3. Why are there no express tracks on the SAS?

1) They'll have to make a decision. Either move the (Q) back and perhaps restore the (W) (by that time the financial crisis could be over), or just increase the (N) to replace it, run a shuttle from 57th up, which i don't think they'll do.

2) 3) It was sort of a compromise. Instead of express, they would have local stations further apart.

1. How will the <Q> go to 125th St. if it is going to Astoria after the (W) is discontinued? Will the (W) be brought back?

1) They'll decide when they get there. Possibilities:

(N) to SAS, (Q) to Astoria

(N)(W) to Astoria, (Q) to SAS

(Q) to SAS, (N) to Astoria

2)3) They had no money to build express tracks, so they compromised like Eric B said.^^^

1. From what it seems the (W) MAY return, but I can't guarantee that. Don't forget the fact that the (N), before 2001, ran by itself to Astoria.

2. First of all, you have to account for the technology used. It's not just money, it's more about logistics and common sense. 16 new stations will be built, IINM. They will be deep-bored, not cut and cover. Thus had additional stations were built, more money would have gone out. It also comes to cost-effectiveness, how many potential customers would there be at a particular studied station? Also, if more stations are built, journey times would be longer and that means the "locals" would have to stop at every single stop, and constant stopping and moving could affect train performance. The idea here is to have better train performance. We're basically adopting what Asia and Europe is currently doing to their new/existing metro systems.

3. Thus because stations were spaced out at major thoroughfares, or close to major thoroughfares, they decided there would be no need for any express track. There were initial plans to build a third track, but money would not allow it.

Thanks for the replies. I personally don't like the design and wish it had more stations with an express track. An express track is also helpful if a train stalls. If a train stalls on the SAS, you'll have trains backed all the way up to Brooklyn. And if construction ever needs to be done, they will have to shut down the SAS rather than divert all trains to the express track.

Thanks for the replies. I personally don't like the design and wish it had more stations with an express track. An express track is also helpful if a train stalls. If a train stalls on the SAS, you'll have trains backed all the way up to Brooklyn. And if construction ever needs to be done, they will have to shut down the SAS rather than divert all trains to the express track.

The MTA almost never plans for a disruption. I guess that the (T) will be the second (G): one train broken...whole line messed up.

I can also see the (W) returning & running on SAS say running between 96th/2nd(later 125th/Park)and Whitehall daily and extended to Bay Parkway on the (D) west end line weekdays.

I can also see the (W) returning & running on SAS say running between 96th/2nd(later 125th/Park)and Whitehall daily and extended to Bay Parkway on the (D) west end line weekdays.
There's something wrong w/ your proposal..... If you have the (W) along SAS and terminate at Whitehall, then that would require switching from express to local tracks (N)(Q)(R) between 57th St and Times Square southbound (and the reverse northbound) causing a rogers junction times 2. In my opinion I think the (Q) should go to Astoria and the (N) to Spanish Harlem and a future extension to the Bronx. The (D) and (N) already parallels each other in Brooklyn so why not do the same w/ the Bronx extension.

There's something wrong w/ your proposal..... If you have the (W) along SAS and terminate at Whitehall, then that would require switching from express to local tracks (N)(Q)(R) between 57th St and Times Square southbound (and the reverse northbound) causing a rogers junction times 2. In my opinion I think the (Q) should go to Astoria and the (N) to Spanish Harlem and a future extension to the Bronx. The (D) and (N) already parallels each other in Brooklyn so why do the same w/ the Bronx extension.

Moreover, Whitehall has proven itself to be an inadequate terminal

I think the main reason is because the M15 SBS will end up being permanent. Therefore a local only train would do the job.

The SBS/limited basically 'mirrors' the local subway line. So it doesn't really serve as a replacement for the express subway service. SBS is going to be for a while because: let's face it, phase 1 is probably the only thing we'll see for years. And even this we hope actually gets finished.

I think the main reason is because the M15 SBS will end up being permanent. Therefore a local only train would do the job.

Nope. Just like how the 98 B-line in Vancouver got the axe right after the Canada Line went up, the M15 SBS will mostly likely be terminated after the SAS is completed. It basically is an aboveground version of the SAS, even the stations are done so that they match the underground counterparts. What's the point then?

Nope. Just like how the 98 B-line in Vancouver got the axe right after the Canada Line went up, the M15 SBS will mostly likely be terminated after the SAS is completed. It basically is an aboveground version of the SAS, even the stations are done so that they match the underground counterparts. What's the point then?

Why would they terminate it? The SBS is basically the M15 Limited. It's just another fancy word to say it.

Why would they terminate it? The SBS is basically the M15 Limited. It's just another fancy word to say it.

Not really. You have off-board payment, exclusive bus lanes and cameras which needed to be maintained. This POP system could beat the purpose of the SAS if epidemic farebeating is the case. Then people could just jump on the SBS and not give two sugars about the SAS, and thus it makes everything difficult. And plus Community Boards would be asking that the bus lanes be removed for local traffic because the subway is up and they see no point in having the SBS. Also cameras do need maintaining, and it costs quite some dough. And it technically isn't the M15L because the M15 LTD makes more stops than the SBS. The SBS strives to have a subway like stopping pattern.

Archived