changes to trackless trolley, trolley and whatnot....

Bus Guy

You still have to spends tons of money installing overhead wires...hybrids buses are already "green" enough.

hahaha.....if the hybrids there are anything like philly's the difference between diesel and hybrid is minimal. just because it says hybrid doesn't make it green....emissions wise maybe but MPG wise....hahaha

42 Street could use a trackless trolley/bus lane.

I agree....a modern remake of the dead 42nd st transitway.

http://nycsubway.org/articles/history-nycta1980s.html

"City traffic planners approved a "transitway" on 42nd Street that would include a crosstown trolley line. The two-track line would run along the south curb of the street and would also make 42nd Street one way westbound. The City Planning Commission was actually in favor of trolley lines "coming back" since 1978, because they would be cheaper, cleaner and faster than buses. Back to the future!"

42 Street could use a trackless trolley/bus lane.

There is a ban on overhead wires in New York City.

I really dont see light rails, trolleys or trackless trolley will work in Manhattan because of cars, buses, trucks, outdoor show, lack of space, people.

Red Hook and the waterfront in Brooklyn may get a chance to see a trolley service in the future.

I really dont see light rails, trolleys or trackless trolley will work in Manhattan because of cars, buses, trucks, outdoor show, lack of space, people.

Well there are diesel light rail vehicles... no need for overhead wires

You still have to spends tons of money installing overhead wires...hybrids buses are already "green" enough.

Hybrids... hmmm

Diesel on the highway: 5MPG

Hybrids on the highway: 6MPG

wheres the difference? (btw this is the average it may not apply to your current fleet but you get my point)

Toronto has not trolleybuses, but a wide system of streetcars. Due to NYC tearing up the trolley tracks, there is no chance there will be streetcars in any bourough.
Same thing in philly but they restored one line and 2 more are being planned.

Even a diesel light rail wont work in Manhattan with the lack of space, lots of people, cars, buses, trucks, etc.

Have you seen Toronto's, San Francisco's or Phillys systems?.....same issue!

Even a diesel light rail wont work in Manhattan with the lack of space, lots of people, cars, buses, trucks, etc.

Maybe not Manhattan, but other boroughs... if theres enough room to add new subway lines theres enough room for a trolley line

Toronto has not trolleybuses, but a wide system of streetcars. Due to NYC tearing up the trolley tracks, there is no chance there will be streetcars in any bourough.

Well look at the NJT Riverline, that was built off of railroad tracks mainly.... and parts expanded... Anywhere where a Subway line could be built, a light rail line could also be built

Now don't get me wrong I am not pro ETB or pro light rail or anything of the sort.. I am just stating some facts in this matter... I personally would rather MTA not get any of these modes because they'd find some way to screw it up... money wise...

Same thing in philly but they restored one line and 2 more are being planned.

Have you seen Toronto's, San Francisco's or Phillys systems?.....same issue!

Have you seen Manhattan streets during the busy day? New York streets are very different from those three cities.

Maybe not Manhattan, but other boroughs... if theres enough room to add new subway lines theres enough room for a trolley line

Yes, other boroughs has a higher possibility then Manhattan.

Trackless trollies would work really well in most parts of NYC, and you could indeed share substations with both the subway and LIRR/MNRR. The cost of putting up wires wouldn't be that much, and the poles the wires are suspended from could host other items, such as trash cans, informational signs, emergency phones, even solar panels to feed back into the system.

I think the trackless trollies could be focused to serve areas subways do not, such as alphabet city, LGA, other parts of staten island, brooklyn, bronx, and queens that have big areas between subway lines.

In NJ they have HBLR and PATH running roughly parallel between exchange place and hoboken terminal, neither takes away from the other's riders, both get packed full during peak hours. I think areas served with both the trackless trolly and a free roaming bus could have some stops skipped on the free roaming side, to speed up those lines, and areas where the trackless trolly roughly parallels the subway, have displays that say when the next of whichever is, and if it's subway specify which one ((1),(2),(3) etc).

As far as "hybrids are green enough", i do not agree with the implication that using less resources, diesel fuel in this instance, is somehow a bad thing, and that things for some reason shouldn't be made more efficient if they can be.

Phileasa.jpg

Just a concept illustration, but you get the idea.

- A

There actually are some older tracks near Dumbo that have not been torn up. Also, there is an active project that intends to bring back heritage cars to Brooklyn. Bob Diamond's thing, I think.

http://www.brooklynrail.net/

something to remember, overhead wires are illegal in manhsttan. TARS was a trench system

That municipal code could be repealed if it hasn't all ready. The conduit current collection method would not work as well in today's NYC of high powered winter ice melting chemicals and other stuff like trash and idiot tourists. Another part to the trackless trolly system would be to give the vehicles small diesel engines &/or batteries to navigate between areas not covered by the wires, or in case the power goes out. All of this tech either is or has been in operation, all that's in the way is some suspension poles and the wire... :cool:

- A

That municipal code could be repealed if it hasn't all ready. The conduit current collection method would not work as well in today's NYC of high powered winter ice melting chemicals and other stuff like trash and idiot tourists. Another part to the trackless trolly system would be to give the vehicles small diesel engines &/or batteries to navigate between areas not covered by the wires, or in case the power goes out. All of this tech either is or has been in operation, all that's in the way is some suspension poles and the wire... :cool:

- A

Only thing is in a 40ft and 60ft model all you can get is a modified ISL with a 50 gallon tank.

• 4 weeks later...

It would depend where the BRT is going to be built.

Unless Brookly, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island also banned overhead wires, trolleybus-based BRT could also work in those places.

Something akin to Trolmerida in Merida, Venezuela or the Silver "Line" in Boston.

l

Lento, pero avanza? (stupid image doesn't work)

It would depend where the BRT is going to be built.

Unless Brookly, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island also banned overhead wires, trolleybus-based BRT could also work in those places.

Something akin to Trolmerida in Merida, Venezuela or the Silver "Line" in Boston.

l

Lento, pero avanza? (stupid image doesn't work)

A trolly based BRT would not work in NYC in any borough. The cost to build the infrastructure would not be justified by any means. There is way too much traffic, buildings, cars, trucks, and buses. You might however be able to get away with building a line or two in Staten Island,

Archived