MTA Bridges and Tunnels Off Duty Cop Beaten in Road Rage Incident then fires 9 shots

Shortline Bus

Off-duty MTA Bridges and Tunnels cop beaten in road rage incident, fires nine shots at attackers

BY Sarah Armaghan and Joe Kemp

NY DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Thursday, June 17th 2010,

"An off-duty MTA Bridges and Tunnels cop shot at a group of attackers - striking one - during an early-morning road rage beatdown in the Bronx on Wednesday, cops said.

Edward Aiken, 38, was on his way to his job on Randalls Island, exiting from the southbound Major Deegan Expressway about 5:20 a.m., when he was rear-ended by another car, causing his car to hit a guardrail, police and MTA officials said.

The stunned special operations officer got out to confront the other driver, and the two began to fight, cops said.

"Other individuals got out of the car and began to assault the officer," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. "He was on the ground. He was being beaten."

That's when the roughed-up Aiken pulled out his pistol and pumped nine rounds toward his attackers - striking one and sending the others scurrying from the highway, police said.

One suspect was taken into custody when he walked into Harlem Hospital with a gunshot wound, Kelly said.

Three people were being held at the 44th Precinct stationhouse, sources said.

None of the four was charged, cops said Wednesday night."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/06/17/2010-06-17_cop_fires_nine_shots.html#ixzz0rC2s9Mop

One suspect was taken into custody when he walked into Harlem Hospital with a gunshot wound, Kelly said.

Stupid is as stupid does.

None of the four was charged, cops said Wednesday night."

Typical and disturbing.

F**k'em.

F**k'em.

While as a Driver, i curse like crazy when someone cuts in front of me w/ little room and nearly causes an accident. However if someone speeds by me it does not bother me as much.

Hope those punks who went after that (MTA) cop gets some time behind bars.:tdown::mad:

Is it even legal to use your gun while off duty?

Yes it is, even off duty, a Police officer in New York State is supposed to take action if he/she is a witness to a crime. B&T officers are cops anywhere they go in New York State.

Yes it is, even off duty, a Police officer in New York State is supposed to take action if he/she is a witness to a crime. B&T officers are cops anywhere they go in New York State.

Thanks.

As an act of self-defence, or when physically threatened, such as this case, it is justified.

No I agree, just curious because isn't it illegal to have a gun in NYC? What if a regular person was in the same predicament?

While as a Driver, i curse like crazy when someone cuts in front of me w/ little room and nearly causes an accident. However if someone speeds by me it does not bother me as much.

Hope those punks who went after that (MTA) cop gets some time behind bars.:tdown::mad:

(MTA) Bridges & Tunnel Officers are not cops they wish they were they are designated as Peace Officers and do not have Police powers wanna be cops I had to put one of those bitches in her place last year they are so nasty

(MTA) Bridges & Tunnel Officers are not cops they wish they were they are designated as Peace Officers and do not have Police powers wanna be cops I had to put one of those bitches in her place last year they are so nasty
§ 2.20 Powers of peace officers.

1. The persons designated in section 2.10 of this article shall have

the following powers:

(A)The power to make warrantless arrests pursuant to section 140.25

of this chapter.

(:)The power to use physical force and deadly physical force in

making an arrest or preventing an escape pursuant to section 35.30 of

the penal law.

(C)The power to carry out warrantless searches whenever such searches

are constitutionally permissible and acting pursuant to their special

duties.

(D) The power to issue appearance tickets pursuant to subdivision

three of section 150.20 of this chapter, when acting pursuant to their

special duties. New York city special patrolmen shall have the power to

issue an appearance ticket only when it is pursuant to rules and

regulations of the police commissioner of the city of New York.

(E) The power to issue uniform appearance tickets pursuant to article

twenty-seven of the parks, recreation and historic preservation law and

to issue simplified traffic informations pursuant to section 100.25 of

this chapter and section two hundred seven of the vehicle and traffic

law whenever acting pursuant to their special duties.

(F) The power to issue a uniform navigation summons and/or complaint

pursuant to section nineteen of the navigation law whenever acting

pursuant to their special duties.

(G) The power to issue uniform appearance tickets pursuant to article

seventy-one of the environmental conservation law, whenever acting

pursuant to their special duties.

(H) The power to possess and take custody of firearms not owned by the

peace officer, for the purpose of disposing, guarding, or any other

lawful purpose, consistent with his duties as a peace officer.

(i) Any other power which a particular peace officer is otherwise

authorized to exercise by any general, special or local law or charter

whenever acting pursuant to his special duties, provided such power is

not inconsistent with the provisions of the penal law or this chapter.

(J) Uniformed court officers shall have the power to issue traffic

summonses and complaints for parking, standing, or stopping violations

pursuant to the vehicle and traffic law whenever acting pursuant to

their special duties.

2. For the purposes of this section a peace officer acts pursuant to

his special duties when he performs the duties of his office, pursuant

to the specialized nature of his particular employment, whereby he is

required or authorized to enforce any general, special or local law or

charter, rule, regulation, judgment or order.

3. A peace officer, whether or not acting pursuant to his special

duties, who lawfully exercises any of the powers conferred upon him

pursuant to this section, shall be deemed to be acting within the scope

of his public employment for purposes of defense and indemnification

rights and benefits that he may be otherwise entitled to under the

provisions of section fifty-k of the general municipal law, section

seventeen or eighteen of the public officers law, or any other

applicable section of law.

From NYS Law.

§ 2.10 Persons designated as peace officers.

§ 2.20 Powers of peace officers.

Actually, there are many agencies within NYC that do not carry firearms yet are considered "police" and have peace officer status. They are authorized to use deadly physical force but do not carry firearms. Some of these agencies are DHS police, Department of Juvenile Justice Police, NYC Hospital Police, some Park Rangers, HRA Police, DCAS Police, TLC Inspectors, ACS Police, Library Police, and I believe Firefighters have unarmed peace officer status.

Actually, there are many agencies within NYC that do not carry firearms yet are considered "police" and have peace officer status. They are authorized to use deadly physical force but do not carry firearms. Some of these agencies are DHS police, Department of Juvenile Justice Police, NYC Hospital Police, some Park Rangers, HRA Police, DCAS Police, TLC Inspectors, ACS Police, Library Police, and I believe Firefighters have unarmed peace officer status.
I believe I did see a DCAS officer with a firearm the last time I went into the Tweed courthouse (DOE HQ).

Well true indeed, but when I'm referring to the "gunless cop" thing, I'm talking about the regular guys and the MTA B&T cops.

Archived