Removing Subway Tunnel Graffiti

Robert Bosco

I don't think it is worth the time, money, and service to remove graffiti from tunnels. Even if you do pait over it, it will not stop graffiti. Plus the graffiti in the tunnel is harded to see from a passing train unless you are looking for it. There is no way to stop the unnels from being painted as long as trains use it. Removing from put side areas such as the Sea Beach line would be worth it though as it is more visable, but it must be kept up with. South of Carroll Street on the (F) and (G) were the tracks go out side has always had graffiti and every few years it gets painted over. With in a week there is more graffiti because it is a blank canvas for vandals to paint on.

I don't think it is worth the time, money, and service to remove graffiti from tunnels. Even if you do pait over it, it will not stop graffiti. Plus the graffiti in the tunnel is harded to see from a passing train unless you are looking for it. There is no way to stop the unnels from being painted as long as trains use it. Removing from put side areas such as the Sea Beach line would be worth it though as it is more visable, but it must be kept up with. South of Carroll Street on the (F) and (G) were the tracks go out side has always had graffiti and every few years it gets painted over. With in a week there is more graffiti because it is a blank canvas for vandals to paint on.

Yeah..i remember that...Is it still marked up??

I wholeheartedly agree with Matt on this one. It's just a waste to even try to tackle this system-wide problem. All it does is welcomes the vandals back for a party. The most important and obvious thing would be to keep it off the trains and the stations.

Thanks Harry!. Back in the 80's, many of the trains on the (7) (7x) were painted white to stop graffiti and it did not work at all. The white trains just became a nie and clean white board. I am not saying that graffiti writers who enter tunnels should get away with it, just that the time and money to clean it up can be spent in better ways. Also trains and out side areas are not the same thing, but it just shows you what happens when you provide a nice area for their work.

img_68864.jpg

Photo by Steve Zabel nycsubway.org

Yeah I have to agree with that statement there. If we were to remove the graffiti right now, within minutes the walls would be bombed again. In my opinion they shouldn't even bother with the tunnels since nobody really sees them. They should just simply clean the signs in the tunnels that warn people. They can use that money toward more options.

Honestly, I agree wit most who stated the point already, but it would be a complete waste of time, money, and energy to paint over the graffiti thats there already. Vandals would just come back and ruin it again.

Exactly. With the cost it would take to remove all the graffiti, there are several other improvements the MTA could begin with the same amount of money.

Archived