MTA chief outlines program expansions in his 'State of the MTA' speech

Trainspotter

MTA chief outlines program expansions in his 'State of the MTA' speech

By Pete Donohue

Daily News Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 4th 2008

[float=right]amd_subway-map.gif[/float]Imagine not having to take a jam-packed subway train through central Queens because there's a new subway line. Or being able to ride the rails to LaGuardia Airport instead of inching along in a car.

Those fantasies could become reality if MTA chief Elliot Sander makes good on some of the programs he outlined Monday in the first-ever State of the MTA address.

"The region's economic vitality, livability and beauty are inextricably linked to the fortunes of the MTA," MTA CEO Sander said in the Great Hall at Cooper Union. "If we shirk our responsibility to the MTA network, we put our region at risk."

Riders on the E and F lines currently endure the worst crowding in the system, with riders more packed in than sardines in a can.

Drivers heading to LaGuardia Airport are tortured by the sight of planes flying overhead as they sit stuck in traffic on the Grand Central Parkway and other highways.

If the Metropolitan Transportation Authority secures funding for its $29.6 billion capital construction plan, it would use a fraction of the funds to explore solutions to such daily ordeals endured by travelers.

Plans include:

• Creating a subway line parallel to the Long Island Rail Road's main line tracks in Queens, using the existing right of way.
  • Building an AirTrain running from the LIRR's Woodside station to LaGuardia Airport similar to the elevated rail line to Kennedy Airport.

Sander outlined a 40-year MTA plan or vision during a program that had the choreography of a political campaign or major governmental event.

His one-hour speech was preceded by a short, professionally crafted film on the transportation system's rise from the ashes of neglect over the past three decades.

As an agency, the MTA is waging a campaign to secure funding for its five-year capital program. The work includes completing expansion projects like the first section of the Second Ave. subway. The bulk of the program - $20 billion - is to keep the system in working order by replacing switches, upgrading signals, buying new buses and overhauling stations, Sander said.

Other ideas to be studied in the next five years, Sander said, include extending the D line from its northern terminal in Norwood, the Bronx, to the Gun Hill Road station (Nos. 2 and 5 lines) along with a subway-commuter train hub at the Metro-North railroad's Williamsbridge stop. That would make it easier for some northern Bronx residents and Metro-North riders to get to the West Side of Manhattan.

Also ripe for further study is converting a little-used freight line for subways in Brooklyn drafted by the Regional Plan Association, Sander said. The first segment would run from Midwood near Brooklyn College to the Broadway Junction subway hub in East New York.

The Daily News should really update their 'subway map'. I didn't know the (N) still terminates at Gravesend-86 St, and the Brighton and West End is totally Yellow.. Their still showing us the Post-9/11 days; November 2001- September 7, 2002-----(F)(N)(Q)(Qx)(M)(W)(R)

The Daily News should really update their 'subway map'. I didn't the (N) still terminates at Gravesend-86 St, and the Brighton and West End is totally Yellow.. Their still showing us the Post-9/11 days; November 2001- September 7, 2002-----(F)(N)(Q)(Qx)(M)(W)(R)

Maybe that's how old the plan is? :confused:

If it is, it's most likely nothing but hot air.

Finally, LGA Airtrain!

But all the way to the LIRR Woodside station. A little far but they can do it. Will take a long time, if they start now I can probably live to ride it. But wouldn't it be a PANYNJ project? I think they should really be kept with the responsibility of building and running Airtrain LGA. They should make it a monorail like AirTrain EWR (Newark Liberty International).

Wow these plans sound great (some of which include a version of my idea) and it would be amazing to see them done. But somehow I doubt these plans can even fly but hope they do.

Now that you say something! I was thinking the same thing! In my little what would you do thread. Mine is similar to that too. I do know for a fact that MTA Brass read these posts. We are the fans of the NY (MTA)!!

We honestly post things that could be very informative to the MTA. Whats good and whats not. Suggestions on how it could be better because we all want our transit system to look good and provide excellent customer service.

Could they be taking heed what we discuss?

Or is it just a coincidence?

:)

I like the idea of bringing a new line on the old LIRR Bay Ridge tracks. That can really bring a very nice alternative to Manhattan but the commute will be longer!!! Hmmmm. As for the LGA Airtrain. I still think they should extend the (N)(W) instead of an AirTrain but watever.

Archived