Great Idea for the R62 through R68As

I feel that as time goes, it is time to give the R62 through R68A LCD signs during SMS. I feel that that those cars could use those signs. The signs would show the route logo such as the (:P, (D), (N), (Q), (1), (2), (3), (4) and etc. The side displays would show the last stop like Coney Island. Inside, you can install FIND displays and show the time. I know that would cost money, but if these cars want to be flexible for the future, this can do it. I would like to give this idea to the MTA, but i don't think it could work. What do you think?

Do you have money to give the (MTA) this? Especially since they don't have money and cutting service/jobs. If not then its a no.

Also these cars are OTTs, you would have to install a computer of some sort to get all this which would not be possible atm.

Seeing as how the R62As are getting SMSed at CIY right now, thats not going to happen. Plus it is not as simple as adding signs, you would have to add a whole computer system. It's not a simple task and it wont happen.

Seeing as how the R62As are getting SMSed at CIY right now, thats not going to happen. Plus it is not as simple as adding signs, you would have to add a whole computer system. It's not a simple task and it wont happen.

Just a bit off, is the R46/44SIRT done with SMS and are not getting all the blue seats?

The obvious reason to say no is that the MTA doesn't have money to place an order of new LCD signs for these trains. That's usually the answer nowadays.

I don't think it's necessary. It would be nice, a luxury, and useful if a train appears outside of its home (i.e. a 240th St-Yard R62A on the (3) for some reason), but the rarity of that won't warrant a complete overhaul. We'll just have to stick with the OTTs as they are, and let the NTTs do that job that you gave the description of. Right now, it just isn't necessary, though it would be nice to have.

You'd also need to trainline the sign control unit electrically through the whole train which means dedicating a pin on the electric portion for just this purpose. I don't have the chart for those cars with the explanation of what each pin is used for, but it would probably require some reshuffling.

In short, this isn't going to happen. What would be the justification for the expense? The signage would provide little more information than the current signs in those cars already do.

You'd also need to trainline the sign control unit electrically through the whole train which means dedicating a pin on the electric portion for just this purpose. I don't have the chart for those cars with the explanation of what each pin is used for, but it would probably require some reshuffling.

In short, this isn't going to happen. What would be the justification for the expense? The signage would provide little more information than the current signs in those cars already do.

I know, that's what the who;e "computer system" thing is about. It's a simplification of what you said.

I know, that's what the who;e "computer system" thing is about. It's a simplification of what you said.

Hey just a clarification. Using what you wrote, a railien with an imagination may start an internet rumor that if you add a single computer in the cab, the signs for the whole train can be controlled with the click of a mouse.

Hey just a clarification. Using what you wrote, a railien with an imagination may start an internet rumor that if you add a single computer in the cab, the signs for the whole train can be controlled with the click of a mouse.

Heg, then let them go with that. It sounds alot better when that comes back to us from some one going "hey there putting computers int he R62s".

To put it simply, other than CI yard where up to 4 lines shares the R68/As, the R62/As are rarely used on other lines and do not need to change the route bullet or the destination signs. So those LCDs would be useless.

Also the LCDs removed from the R44s would be best used to replace broken signs on the R46s [as god knows there's quite a bunch of them].

What the heck would be the point of putting LCD signs in those trains anyway? First thing, the costs outweigh any benefits. Where in the cab will the screens go anyway?

All you gotta do is put a computer in there and then all the signs will work. :P

Just a bit off, is the R46/44SIRT done with SMS and are not getting all the blue seats?

SIRT work has been done for 2 or 3 weeks, they got blue seats. The R62s are not getting new seats sine it is not in the scope of the SMS work. During SMS, only certain things are worked on, it's not an overhaul.

I sent in a suggestion for this, and they said there were no more pins in the couplers to add trainline signage (they added enablers on the 68's though!)

The 62's and 68's all are pretty much confined to one line or area ((1)(3)(7)(:P(D)), so do not need to change signage that much. The only line that really needs them is the (:) because it changes northern terminals during the day.

Another idea I had for the 62's and 68's was to remove unused cabs, and have end car windows (like the NTT's). But they said they couldn't do that either.

Exactly ^

And a shame they can't remove those cabs. For the 5-car [iRT] or 4-car [b div] fixed sets, there's no point to them.

If anything, they would break up the units again. Making them into 4 or 5 car sets was a bad idea.

At this point? I kinda find it very unlikely unless it was a case where one of the cars is beyond repair and they need a replacement unit.

I still feel things should be fixed sets - including those singles on the (7) when they return back to the mainlines [when the (4) or (6) trades their R142As].

The problem with that is that one problem causes the loss of all the cars its hooked up with. It crowds up the shops and makes repairs take too long.

But on the flip side, all cars in the set would have the same milage and in theory should make working on them easier.

The problem is if there was a serious accident [like a few years ago where a metal rail struck the underside of an R142 (2) around 110th st and of course infamously that R143 canarsie launchpad set which has left 3 'orphans'. But such cases like that are kinda rare.

does that mean that the R44 and R46 have built in computers? I always thought they had something simple that made the LCD signs work, like a small lil panel to scroll thru the signs like in the 32 and 38.

Also what makes the R62A green rings work then? Is it just a switch that can be set from one of the cabs in the set?

Archived