Great Idea for the R62 through R68As

does that mean that the R44 and R46 have built in computers? I always thought they had something simple that made the LCD signs work, like a small lil panel to scroll thru the signs like in the 32 and 38.

Also what makes the R62A green rings work then? Is it just a switch that can be set from one of the cabs in the set?

The R62As have a switch called a ENERCON in each cab to switch the express/local rollsign LEDs.

does that mean that the R44 and R46 have built in computers? I always thought they had something simple that made the LCD signs work, like a small lil panel to scroll thru the signs like in the 32 and 38.

Also what makes the R62A green rings work then? Is it just a switch that can be set from one of the cabs in the set?

They have the Luminator signs in them. The control thing is just like the one on a bus.

The R62As have a switch called a ENCRON in each cab to switch the express/local rollsign LEDs.

You mean ENERCON, or "Energy Conservation" switch. Those were recently unused 'till they installed these signs

The R44/R46 have an SCU (Sign Control Unit) mounted in the cabs which programs the signs on the entire train. Each route is entered as a 1,2,3 or 4 digit code into the SCU to program the signs.

The R62As have a switch called a ENCRON in each cab to switch the express/local rollsign LEDs.

Correct, it's ENRCON, but I assume that was a typo.

They have the Luminator signs in them. The control thing is just like the one on a bus.

Thy do and don't have a computer system and the LCD signs are very different from those used on buses. Bus signs either store all the info in the key pad or in the sign its self. The signs on the R44/46s have many components and are all linked together. This is why it would be pointless to take the control box and a sign because they won't wok.

Thy do and don't have a computer system and the LCD signs are very different from those used on buses. Bus signs either store all the info in the key pad or in the sign its self. The signs on the R44/46s have many components and are all linked together. This is why it would be pointless to take the control box and a sign because they won't wok.

It's all the same for the R44/46 LCD signs and the bus signs.

The keypad doesn't store anything. Nothing other than basic programming. The signs store all the destinations.

It's all the same for the R44/46 LCD signs and the bus signs.

The keypad doesn't store anything. Nothing other than basic programming. The signs store all the destinations.

No, there not the same as the ones in buses. I have you ever looked at the actual system they use, I have. You can't take 1 sign and one keypad and get a working sign.

The R44/R46 have an SCU (Sign Control Unit) mounted in the cabs which programs the signs on the entire train. Each route is entered as a 1,2,3 or 4 digit code into the SCU to program the signs.
And also, the R44s and R46s were able to have those systems because those cars had cab controlled rollsigns pre-GOH and they used the existing wires to hook up the LCDs.

And also, the R44s and R46s were able to have those systems because those cars had cab controlled rollsigns pre-GOH and they used the existing wires to hook up the LCDs.

Anything can be trainlined, but a coupler pin on the electric portion must be dedicated for the purpose. Sometimes there are spares. In the case of the R44/R46, most of car to car connection was set up to allow it. However there are more than 1,000 possible sign readouts on the R44/R46 so it's a little more information that needs to be stored than during the rollsign days.

No, there not the same as the ones in buses. I have you ever looked at the actual system they use, I have. You can't take 1 sign and one keypad and get a working sign.

So there is an extra box hooked up to it?

From what I have been told, they were a disaster. Train line controlled rollsigns have bar codes on them and dust (which covers everything in the subway) makes them act funny. The CTA has been using these rollsigns since the late 60's but remember, almost all of their lines are above ground so there is not that much dust. The LIRR M1s had rollsigns too (not sure about M3s) and I have been told that when they went over gaps in the 3rd rail, the signs would scroll around.

From what I have been told, they were a disaster. Train line controlled rollsigns have bar codes on them and dust (which covers everything in the subway) makes them act funny. The CTA has been using these rollsigns since the late 60's but remember, almost all of their lines are above ground so there is not that much dust. The LIRR M1s had rollsigns too (not sure about M3s) and I have been told that when they went over gaps in the 3rd rail, the signs would scroll around.

Is that why in the old photos, you had some cars with the proper signs like for (E) or (F) and some were reading SPECIAL

Oh, well, I was trying to say that the keypad on there is similar to the bus's keypad.

Archived