Survey: M subway line is filthiest and whole system got worse

Harry

Subway schmutz is on the rise, thanks to a budget that cut cleaners who sweep and mop train interiors, a new report says.

Only half of the subway cars rated last fall by the Straphangers Campaign were deemed clean, down from 57% the year before.

Eleven of the 22 lines got dirtier, according to the Straphangers survey due out today.

"It's as clear as the grime on a subway car floor: MTA Transit cuts in cleaners has meant dirtier cars," said Straphanger lawyer Gene Russianoff. "And more cuts to come means more dirt."

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has been cutting jobs to close budget deficits.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/06/21/2010-06-21_subway_a_fine_ess_survey_m_lines_filthiest__whole_system_got_worse.html#ixzz0rVFWITYc

Its quite simple.If straphangers kept the trains clean,there wouldnt be a need to survey subway car cleaniness.Class dismissed.:)

You can't blame this on us only.I mean everyone spills or gets a food stain.I'm sure everyone wants to avoid things like this but things happen.I remember last week I put down my Gatorade bottle on the floor next thing its rolling to the opposite side of the car.Luckily the lid was shut.And it was a full bottle not even opened.But sometimes it's just people being lazy(workers) at the terminals,I know they can't mop and sweep all the cars but at least look and see.So its 50/50 for the blame.

Its quite simple.If straphangers kept the trains clean,there wouldnt be a need to survey subway car cleaniness.Class dismissed.:)

They should do the DC Metro thing and ticket everyone with an open coffee cup or Mickey D bag and such. The only person allowed to eat,(drink), on a bus or subway should be an infant. Period. The garbage comes from straphangers and they should be fined for it. IDK how many times I've encountered half empty cups and cans on trains, along with half-eaten breakfast sandwiches and such. Sticky floors and gum on the seats just points to how nasty some straphangers are. One can only imagine what their homes look like. Why blame the cleaners when the train might only be in a terminal for less than 2 minutes? Point the finger in the right direction.

Archived