Might This Be A Good Or Bad Idea For The West End?

Not all of it, though. The (MTA) saves on the costs of running 1 Nassau Street service between Essex Street and Broad Street, and has some of the increased ridership from the (M) to boot.

It would probably reduce the savings from $4 million to maybe $800,000.

At this point, the (MTA) needs all the money it could get. Saving an extra $3.2 million is $3.2 million that doesn't have to be cut from somewhere else.

I wouldn't mind seeing that happen, but I don't know if that's the most economically friendly idea, even if there was no recession. The (M2) along Bay Parkway is practically empty after it hits 4th Avenue. The (D) can pick up most of the riders along West End. However, having some extra service to help the (R) along 4th avenue is good. I would like some sort of local service to happen, but not if it means going to Bay Parkway. If anything turn that train around at 9th avenue or Bay Ridge.

when the J was extended to 95th street after 9/11, it was the longest all local line in the system.

this plan would also make a giant mess out of the Z's operating plan.

But it was never permanent. That was only done because there was enough debris on the tracks at Cortlandt and vicinity to make it unsafe for trains to go through. After the clean up, they got the N and R up ASAP.

Guest Charles

If any new service were to be implemented I feel that 4th avenue should get it before West End does. The (D) seems fine by itself, the (R) does not.

Could the <R> run full length trains?
I don't know if Nassau St line can handle 10 60-foot cars or 8 75-foot cars. I'm saying after we rebound from the cuts and there's still need for another 4th Av Local or service to Nassau St Line then a <R> rush hour like service can run from Chambers to Bay Ridge

SubwayGuy's right about this: asides from adding additional (D) and (R) services, if there was money for the <R> or any similar services, some of these cuts won't have happened. I mean fine, if the merger had happened like 3 years ago, then sure, have something like the <R> to substitute for it. But we are in a time when the MTA is facing budget shortfall after budget shortfall.

With the (M2) going to Sixth Avenue, might this be a good or bad idea for the West End: Extend the (Z) from Broad Street to Bay Parkway to provide a little rush hour supplemental service for the (D) and a Nassau Street option?

Actually before the world found out that the new (V) (M2) merger would be called the (M) via 6th Ave, I made a topic on similar suggestion idea.

This idea EE Local only works is 1)the (Z) eastbound terminal is shortned to Broadway Jct. 2) (J) runs peak direction all day weekdays between Marcy and Bway Jct.

And here is link.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17169&page=3

SubwayGuy's right about this: asides from adding additional (D) and (R) services, if there was money for the <R> or any similar services, some of these cuts won't have happened. I mean fine, if the merger had happened like 3 years ago, then sure, have something like the <R> to substitute for it. But we are in a time when the MTA is facing budget shortfall after budget shortfall.

Subwayguy is always right just admit it

i would like to see the (Z) run via West End, but you would have to look at the following:

1) Is there enough trains to extend the (Z) to and from Bay Parkway (D) station during rush hours?

2) Is there enough money for it to actually happen?

3) The (Z) is a long line as it is. The (Z) runs between Jamaica Center and Broad St during rush hours. They may seem like quick stops, but that ride itself between Jamaica Center and Broad St is at least 40-60 mins long, with the following expectations:

-(M2) trains crosses in front of (J)(Z) at Myrtle Av-Broadway in both directions (which delays service at times),

-(M2) trains crosses in front of (J)(Z) at Chambers St to go from the regular track to the middle track, which also delays service. (6/28/10 the new (M) will go from the regular track to the new Chrystie St connection at Essex St),

Lets not forget the (J)(Z) also runs with slow speeds between Cypress Hills and Cresent St, and between Alabama Av and Broadway Junction.

Like i said, it would be nice, but if they're going to extend the (Z) to Bay Parkway, which was pointless to even take out the (M2), but lets see.

If they ever have Nassau-Southern division service again, it should probably not be through-routed with the East, and just go to Chambers and drop out. If they do further cuts first, and eliminate the (Z), then that letter would be freed up for the service.

Otherwise, they could either return to CiYD (providing acess to downtown Brooklyn with a transfer), or perhaps they could continue to ENYD to lay up for the midday, like some of the old TT's did, and b asically what the reverse peak (Z) does now.

May be they could have the (Z) start from Bway Junction(AM/PM peak direction exp) to Marcy(Vice-Versa). Then it could run normal service to Bay Pkwy. Meanwhile the (J) would remain local from Broad or Chambers to Jamaica Center.

Seeing as the goal of the new service pattern is to...save money, and this would...spend money...no

To expand on that.... Would it be a good idea? Yes, probably. I predict we'll find out pretty quickly that we need more 4th Avenue local service than just the (R), and it would probably make a lot of people (railfans and the the people who actually use the line alike) happy if it was a Nassau service. But it's not going to happen anytime soon. The OP didn't make it clear whether he meant now, or after the economy gets better.

The whole skip-stop scheme is that trains stay in order. One line longer than the other would disrupt this balance.

If they ever have Nassau-Southern division service again, it should probably not be through-routed with the East, and just go to Chambers and drop out. If they do further cuts first, and eliminate the (Z), then that letter would be freed up for the service.

Otherwise, they could either return to CiYD (providing acess to downtown Brooklyn with a transfer), or perhaps they could continue to ENYD to lay up for the midday, like some of the old TT's did, and b asically what the reverse peak (Z) does now.

I concur that there might be some problems with extending the (Z) to southern Brooklyn (whether it's Bay Ridge, 9 Av, or Bay Parkway), most importantly the skip-stop issue. If a (Z) gets delayed down south, and Jamaica Line riders start to see 2-3 (J) trains in a row, it defeats the purpose of the system. It would probably make more sense to bring back the <R> (or use a different letter), having it drop out at Chambers Street, or have it terminate at Eastern Parkway or Metropolitan instead.

Archived