What NYCT/MTA Bus service cuts you feel might be restored in few years if any?

Shortline Bus

Great analysis B35. So bro feel free to list some more analysis on a few more bus cuts but not all of them lol.

If doomsday gets worse I predict sadly that in worst case scenrio outside of busy routes like the M15, N6, Q5, B46, BX12 Q11/53 B41 and Q44 i think ending all other Overnight bus service could be on the table next:(:eek:. Or and also ending all Off peak Non-Staten Island EXpress Buses as well. Hope I am wrong but i won't be shocked if happens barring a Bailout from Washington.

What you guys think?

I'm still waiting for the B82 to get split back... guess I'll keep waiting

My point?

aint none of these routes (or portions of routes) are gonna be reverted....

Baretto Park Pool Shuttle: $13.30 - why the MTA even provided this service is beyond me....

* B3 Bergen Beach segment: $2.36 - should've never gotten reinstated after the first time it was set to get cut...

* B4 Sheepshead Bay segment: $2.57 - as much as I want the B4 to continue serving that area full time, the MTA is gonna simply direct riders to "take the 36"...

* B12 Liberty Avenue segment: $1.52 - this wont come back in any form; that area has NO political pull... demand is next to nothing... and the MTA kept sending more & more 12's to end at Alabama {before it was every other bus... then every two buses... then every three buses)... I think this truncation was going to happen sometime soon anyway (as being part of a string of massive cuts throughout the system, or not)

* B13 Williamsburg segment: $1.72 - that extension to Williamsburg was done to shut up w/e riders existed on the old B18... Having it go no further than Wyckoff hosp. is what the original extension should've encompassed....

* B48 Prospect Heights segment: $1.26 - this one I don't quite fully understand... I mean, outside of forcing riders on the Franklin av (S)... not sure if the mta is looking to restructure this route in the future, or outright cut it, or what....

* B64 Coney Island segment: $1.17 - looks like the B3 & the 64 will interline... if this was the focal point of that part of the cut... all I have to say is lol.....

* Q24 Bushwick segment: $0.83 - another useless portion of the route (similar situation w/ the B12 along liberty)... justified... that part of broadway is dead... this aint coming back....

* M10 Midtown segment: $1.17 - wish this one wouldn't have happened, but it made sense to cut this short *somewhere*

so megabus (and all the tour buses) now have more room to park along 31st now *shrugs*

* M98 Midtown segment: $13.33 - if something isn't anymore obvious, the axing of this route in the future due to this truncation, is it.... I wanna know what study was done as to where stopping the route short, around 68th st or w/e was justified... I mean, that seems so... random....

* M104 42nd Street segment: $0.46 - one of the few cuts that I think, that would impact as many riders, made sense...

artics on the M42 anyone?

I don't think the M5 would be slower than the M6. It would be more delay-prone, but on the segments that it is replacing the M6, it wouldn't be slower.

Nobody right now takes the M5 all the way. As a long route, it is much quicker to take the subway if you are traveling long distances (Nobody is going to go from Lower Manhattan to Washington Heights on one bus, they'll get to the A train and take that to the bus terminal).

As far as lateness goes, that is, obviously a problem over the shorter M1/M6 routes. If the MTA truly wants to figure out a way of making this extension work, they'll probably shorten it on the northern end (like some people suggested, swap the M5/M104 terminals, since the M104 is being shortened to 8th Avenue). All I'm saying is that this is one bright side of the M5 extension. The issue of lateness is an issue that will have to be worked on.

I read that part of the reply a couple times, and I don't see what you mean; What is one bright side of the M5 extension?

If anything, what you just brought up, would be a bright side of the M104 ending where it does (which would give the mta less of a reason to end that route in the future, b/c it parallels the (:P© along CPW or w/e).... as it could possibly provide for more riders on that route...

IMO, Short turns are gonna be all over the place on the M5... it's gonna be similar to the short turn scenario of the B44 (and the many that, that route has)....

The B51 and B39 will likely return because the elderly and disabled will have an incredibly difficult time crossing boroughs, and several stations aren't ADA-compatible.

With the M5's rep of being a constantly late bus route, I doubt that will help the customers. The M5/6 merger makes the M5 the longest Manhattan route, and longer routes tend to make routes much slower and harder to keep on track, limited or not. I wouldn't be shocked if the M6 returns by next year because no one would want to take a much slower M5 all the way.

Agreed... as far as decision making is concerned, the mta keeps playing musical chairs w/ the M6...

- one day they're simply contemplating on cutting it... nothing happens....

- then the "serious" talks begin, regarding cutting the route..." what a relief, the M6 was saved" (again)....

- now come tomorrow, the route will be gone.... on the surface (pun unintended)...

you sit there & say to yourself, have they FINALLY made up their mind?

IMO, that remains to be seen.

I say that because once they notice how late these M5's are gonna end up being (I think it's gonna end up being THE worst route in the system, when it comes to lateness), there's not gonna be much of a choice, to create something very similar to the M6 service.... it doesn't have to be a route exactly running from SF to 59th st via the m6 route either....

I read that part of the reply a couple times, and I don't see what you mean; What is one bright side of the M5 extension?

If anything, what you just brought up, would be a bright side of the M104 ending where it does (which would give the mta less of a reason to end that route in the future, b/c it parallels the (B)(C) along CPW or w/e).... as it could possibly provide for more riders on that route...

IMO, Short turns are gonna be all over the place on the M5... it's gonna be similar to the short turn scenario of the B44 (and the many that, that route has)....

The bright side would be that riders coming from South Ferry get limited-stop service once the M5 gets above Waverly Place, which should speed up their trip if they are trying to get to Midtown. I know that the extension would make the M5 unreliable (I think it comes out to about 12.8 miles one way, and the schedule says that the runs can be 1 hour and 50 minutes.), but the one good side is the limited-stop service to Midtown.

As far as the M5/M104 swap, I was just saying that it was a suggestion that some people on this website have suggested, and I think it is a pretty good idea.

I suggested that some buses terminate at the "old" terminal on Houston Street because the M5 runs about 3 buses for every 2 buses that the M6 used to run. Therefore, it would make sense to terminate every 3rd bus along Houston Street, so they wouldn't get caught in Lower Manhattan traffic. If they're smart, they'll short-turn some buses somewhere. They just can't have all of the buses run the full route.

The bright side would be that riders coming from South Ferry get limited-stop service once the M5 gets above Waverly Place, which should speed up their trip if they are trying to get to Midtown. I know that the extension would make the M5 unreliable (I think it comes out to about 12.8 miles one way, and the schedule says that the runs can be 1 hour and 50 minutes.), but the one good side is the limited-stop service to Midtown.

As far as the M5/M104 swap, I was just saying that it was a suggestion that some people on this website have suggested, and I think it is a pretty good idea.

I suggested that some buses terminate at the "old" terminal on Houston Street because the M5 runs about 3 buses for every 2 buses that the M6 used to run. Therefore, it would make sense to terminate every 3rd bus along Houston Street, so they wouldn't get caught in Lower Manhattan traffic. If they're smart, they'll short-turn some buses somewhere. They just can't have all of the buses run the full route.

Do you even know what the time savings are for the M5 Limited? At most, five minutes. The route is incredibly long and is going to be prone to so many delays making it extremely unreliable. They were better off extending the M1 to South Ferry in place of the M6.

Do you even know what the time savings are for the M5 Limited? At most, five minutes. The route is incredibly long and is going to be prone to so many delays making it extremely unreliable. They were better off extending the M1 to South Ferry in place of the M6.

When I was looking at the schedule, I didn't realize that the savings were only 5 minutes. Still, in NYC, people automatically like faster rides. Even if they only save 2 minutes by taking an express train, they will pack on to it.

As far as the M1 extension instead of the M5, the reason they didn't do that was because the distance from 8th Street-South Ferry is a longer distance than Houston Street-South Ferry, plus they save on length of the turnaround at Houston Street. Also, they plan to cut back the M1 to 106th Street weekends.

I do agree that (at least in the M5's current configuration) that the M1 would've been a better choice as far as reliability is concerned.

Places where there is no bus due to (MTA) Service Cut.

In Manhattan

Worth St from Church to Cetre Sts.

Cetre St-Cleveland Place-Lafayette St from Worth to 8th Sts.

University Place from 9th-14th Sts.

Park Av NB from 25th to 39th Sts

Park Av SB from 40th St to Union Sq.

Convent Av from 129th/145th Sts to 149th-150th Sts

People who will need to use the Q74 could also just use the Q64. I took a practice SAT class at Queens College a few months ago on a weekend when the Q74 didn't run. I just walked a little to Jewel Ave. and took the Q64 to Forest Hills for the (E) ride home. This could be quite some walking for people headed to the northern/western ends of Queens College though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
My opinions:

The (V) will never come back, but the new (M) might get more rush-hour service.

The (W) will have to come back when SAS Phase I enters service. I don't think it will run middays/evenings though.

Q79 peak/Q76 Saturday might return

B39/B51/x25/x90/x20/x16/x18/N93/N65-67 will never come back

M6 might come back, if only south of Houston St

M21 weekend service on the new route might come back

The X16 should be restored and any other express bus routes that can be restored on Staten Island seeing that the average commute for most of us each way is an hour to an hour and a half, the longest in the nation. The MTA did their best to kill the X16, especially in the afternoon. I went to the hearing where the MTA argued that the X16 should be cut because Forest Avenue has "easy access" to the ferry, which is quite frankly a load of BS. The 48/98 is cronically LATE, which means that at best you arrive at the ferry with near minutes to spare if you're lucky enough not to miss it. The X16 lost ridership mainly because it was unreliable. Buses were constant no shows, so much so that two buses often times did not show up, which meant waiting for an hour. At that point passengers were forced to use other means. More accountability needs to be made with seeing that drivers do their best to arrive at the schedule times AND that they know the routes. On Staten Island, it is a real problem. Buses are often extremely early or late and there are too many fill ins that often go the wrong way.

Would the (W) be Ditmars Boulevard to Whitehall rush hours only and would that make the (N):

A) Express 57th Street-Seventh Avenue to 59th Street rush hours;

:P Local 57th Street-Seventh Avenue to Canal Street; Express Canal Street to 59th Street all other times?

From what I hear and read, the new (M) is showing a popularity the old rush hour 70(K) never did.

My opinions:

The (V) will never come back, but the new (M) might get more rush-hour service.

The (W) will have to come back when SAS Phase I enters service. I don't think it will run middays/evenings though.

Would the (W) be Ditmars Boulevard to Whitehall rush hours only and would that make the (N):

:P Local 57th Street-Seventh Avenue to Canal Street; Express Canal Street to 59th Street all other times?

From what I hear and read, the new (M) is showing a popularity the old rush hour 70(K) never did.

It the (W) were to return, the (N) would run express is Manhattan

That is what I called upon right before the doomsday cuts started. However it does not matter anymore, as IMO the only way in distant future the (W) returns is this option. When the SAS 1st leg to 96th St/2nd Ave opens about 7-8 years from now, could be running the (W) instead of the (Q) on that coordior.

The X16 should be restored and any other express bus routes that can be restored on Staten Island seeing that the average commute for most of us each way is an hour to an hour and a half, the longest in the nation. The MTA did their best to kill the X16, especially in the afternoon. I went to the hearing where the MTA argued that the X16 should be cut because Forest Avenue has "easy access" to the ferry, which is quite frankly a load of BS. The 48/98 is cronically LATE, which means that at best you arrive at the ferry with near minutes to spare if you're lucky enough not to miss it. The X16 lost ridership mainly because it was unreliable. Buses were constant no shows, so much so that two buses often times did not show up, which meant waiting for an hour. At that point passengers were forced to use other means. More accountability needs to be made with seeing that drivers do their best to arrive at the schedule times AND that they know the routes. On Staten Island, it is a real problem. Buses are often extremely early or late and there are too many fill ins that often go the wrong way.

Actually, the average commute is 41 minutes, and is partially due to our distance from Manhattan.

While the X16 was more cost efficient than an average expess route ($8.16 per passenger, as compared with the system average of $8.64 per passenger), I'm not sure whether it needed to be kept. I know firsthand how crowded the S48/S98 can get-they are always crowded before they get to Richmond Avenue in the AM rush hour-but I think that if service on the S48/S98 were improved, that might be a sufficient replacement for the X16. Then, riders can either take the S48 westbound to the X14, or take the S48/S98 directly to St. George (they would then become more reliable, as there would be more service running)

Actually, the average commute is 41 minutes, and is partially due to our distance from Manhattan.

While the X16 was more cost efficient than an average expess route ($8.16 per passenger, as compared with the system average of $8.64 per passenger), I'm not sure whether it needed to be kept. I know firsthand how crowded the S48/S98 can get-they are always crowded before they get to Richmond Avenue in the AM rush hour-but I think that if service on the S48/S98 were improved, that might be a sufficient replacement for the X16. Then, riders can either take the S48 westbound to the X14, or take the S48/S98 directly to St. George (they would then become more reliable, as there would be more service running)

checkmatechamp,

I rode the 48/98 for a few years before giving up and switching to the express bus. From what I can see not much has changed on the S48. They did bump up limited stops a bit later and added a few buses, but one of the main problems with that line is reliability. Buses just tend to run in packs even when they're spaced 15 minutes apart. I do know one thing... Whether the MTA decides to restore the X16 or not, we will continue our fight to get that bus back even if that means having a private provider come in. Areas along on Forest Avenue in West Brighton & Randall Manor have many well-to-do people who can afford the service and need to have an express bus that goes directly Downtown along with the X30 and serves those areas without having to make 3 connections and hoping to get to work in less than an hour and 15 to an hour and a half. The X16 shaves off a good half an hour each way, so the attitude that the X16 isn't needed or doesn't make a difference is completely wrong. The MTA thinks that we should take the local bus to the ferry, yet they've continuted to provide shabby local bus service, so in sum are we not supposed to have a quick route to NYC like the other outer boroughs? Taking the X30 to the X14 in the opposite direction is just ridiculous. We also need expanded express bus service in that area along Forest Avenue. X16 riders pushed very hard to keep that line and we will continue to fight to have it restored.

checkmatechamp,

I rode the 48/98 for a few years before giving up and switching to the express bus. From what I can see not much has changed on the S48. They did bump up limited stops a bit later and added a few buses, but one of the main problems with that line is reliability. Buses just tend to run in packs even when they're spaced 15 minutes apart. I do know one thing... Whether the MTA decides to restore the X16 or not, we will continue our fight to get that bus back even if that means having a private provider come in. Areas along on Forest Avenue in West Brighton & Randall Manor have many well-to-do people who can afford the service and need to have an express bus that goes directly Downtown along with the X30 and serves those areas without having to make 3 connections and hoping to get to work in less than an hour and 15 to an hour and a half. The X16 shaves off a good half an hour each way, so the attitude that the X16 isn't needed or doesn't make a difference is completely wrong. The MTA thinks that we should take the local bus to the ferry, yet they've continuted to provide shabby local bus service, so in sum are we not supposed to have a quick route to NYC like the other outer boroughs? Taking the X30 to the X14 in the opposite direction is just ridiculous. We also need expanded express bus service in that area along Forest Avenue. X16 riders pushed very hard to keep that line and we will continue to fight to have it restored.

I definitely agree with you that service needs to be improved along Forest Avenue. The ways it can be done are:

-Traffic signal priority on the buses along the route

-A bus lane along congested portions of the route during rush hour (generally in the Westerleigh/West New Brighton area, where the buses often crawl down the route)

-Use of articulated buses on the S48/S98

The first 2 should allow the buses to run faster and, therefore, more frequently.

As far as the X16 goes, the fact that it didn't run that frequently and was subject to the same delays as the local routes led to its downfall. If the problem is fixed (using traffic signal priority and/or a bus lane), maybe a private carrier would find the route appealing to take over.

Running articulated buses along Forest Avenue is a great idea and could help with overcrowding, so long as they didn't reduce service, but Forest Avenue is just too narrow in many sections, particularly in West Brighton. You also have to remember how narrow Victory Blvd becomes going to and from the ferry. I also wonder how atriculated buses deal with hills, since a lot of the S48 run is done going up hills for long distances.

Archived