Car Inspector Lay Off's

Hopeful

they just laid off about 200 Provisional signal helpers........they called them down to livingston on tuesday to tell them today is their last day ! :tdown:

Are you one of them? If not, how do you know this? Where did you get this info?

Just curious, that's all.

thanks

I'm not sure what you guys are complaining about. At my job, when people get laid off, sometimes the supervisor or supervisors come and tell them to not touch the computer. Some aren't even allowed to gather their things. Then they go to a meeting are told they are laid off and get a package and etc. Someone else gathers there things and brings it to them. They are told to give them back the security card to the office and etc. Thats a real bad layoff.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Being given short notice isn't any better (or something to be grateful for) than being given no notice. Either way, you're still out of a job. No need to turn a bad situation into a pissing contest.

Are you one of them? If not, how do you know this? Where did you get this info?

Just curious, that's all.

thanks

because i know a handful of them, i took the same exam and we all came in at the same time........ they themselves said that out of the 430 pple on the Exam list they were letting go everyone #195 and up

I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Being given short notice isn't any better (or something to be grateful for) than being given no notice. Either way, you're still out of a job. No need to turn a bad situation into a pissing contest.

Exactly. Also the reason a lot of people take jobs in civil service or working for the government or any municipality is JOB SECURITY. They want those jobs because they get 1) a pension and 2) they aren't subject to layoffs every time the up and down economy decides to go down like the private sector and its profit motive.

So layoffs in the public sector are a huge deal because a big reason people took those jobs is NOT getting laid off.

In that case I stand corrected, however the part about the 20% reduction in headcount is true in some depts.

Quite a few were hit where I am on friday morning. They were ushered up to some room as they walked in the building. Shitty way to do business. Seems like every department is losing a certain amount. Those who just retired with a buyout probably each saved somebody else's job.

Quite a few were hit where I am on friday morning. They were ushered up to some room as they walked in the building. Shitty way to do business. Seems like every department is losing a certain amount. Those who just retired with a buyout probably each saved somebody else's job.

I think the cuts are 20% across the board...

Yeah, it was more than just management. Management made the news but other groups were hit with it too.

Yeah, it was more than just management. Management made the news but other groups were hit with it too.

Yes. And the worst part is that it's not over yet. They're expecting another wave in the near future. I understand that with many of the so called white-collar employees it doesn't always go by seniority since many of them are part of OA.

• 2 weeks later...
Well by the end of the week we be lossing Tower Operators and Assistant Train Dispatchers most will be demoted to Conductor. They are also saying some Conductors will be layed off in the future replaced by those that were demoted.

wow! there goes my hopes of being a conductor.

They haven't hired any conductors in 8 months . In those 8 months plenty of conductors retired yet they still haven't hired anyone . There must be a shortage based purely on this attrition . How in the world can you lay off conductors when you need a 2 person operation on every train.

I heard that Tower Operators and ATD's with more that a year at that title will have no seniority once they go back to C/R. These senior guys who are eligible REALLY need to retire now!!!!!! It's not fair if you are just around to fatten up your pension if their are C/R's with small children and houses that are going to get laid off because senior guys wanna hang out in crew rooms!!!! Force them to retire like in the private sector!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard that Tower Operators and ATD's with more that a year at that title will have no seniority once they go back to C/R. These senior guys who are eligible REALLY need to retire now!!!!!! It's not fair if you are just around to fatten up your pension if their are C/R's with small children and houses that are going to get laid off because senior guys wanna hang out in crew rooms!!!! Force them to retire like in the private sector!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you legally force someone to retire from a civil service position? Can't be done, as far as I know. If the person is mentally and physically able to do the job, and there are no federal issues with age discrimination, the less senior guys are SOL as far as I can see. I see NYCT is not offering buy-outs to senior hourly workers so people sit back and collect $25-$30 an hour. Do you think in today's economy a person would willingly give that up?

The way I see it they have no problem laying off a bunch of Conductors so another bunch can work lots of overtime. Every time they ask for Conductors now to work overtime the Conductors be blowing up the phone lines to get those jobs. So there is no shortage of C/R's wanting to work there day off or late clears with or without layoffs. Especially senior personel trying to boost thier pensions.

You cannot force senior people to retire. I know one senior person (who has the time and age) who was forced to take on a mortgage due to an unexpected drain on finances. If he were to be forced out, he could be financially ruined. Heck, I even know one guy with a single digit file number who is putting a child through grade school!

The way I see it they have no problem laying off a bunch of Conductors so another bunch can work lots of overtime. Every time they ask for Conductors now to work overtime the Conductors be blowing up the phone lines to get those jobs. So there is no shortage of C/R's wanting to work there day off or late clears with or without layoffs. Especially senior personel trying to boost thier pensions.

We are our own worst enemy. The instant the S/A's and B/O's were laid off, people ate the OT up as if they hadn't eaten in days.:mad: Everything is working according to plan...BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

We are our own worst enemy. The instant the S/A's and B/O's were laid off, people ate the OT up as if they hadn't eaten in days.:mad: Everything is working according to plan...BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

exactly. they have not hired c/rs in 8months but the ones that are here are getting lots of o/t. but its still cheaper for (MTA)to pay o/t then hire and pay extra benefits

While I do find it hard to believe C/R's could be layed off since they do have a shortage but mgt that I know say the working on a list. There not going to lay off alot. I don't know when that may happen but Towers and ATDs are being effected now.

They definitely will not lay off conductors. All these S/A and Bus operator layoffs were to have newer people in the C/R and T/O positions for lower pay. Guys get on Walder's page and you will see his plan. An O/C conductor gets paid $9.00 less an hour than a top pay conductor. Can't you see the layoff talk happened after they stopped hiring for C/R? Even though the economy was bad they were still promoting S/A's and cleaners to conductor. They stopped, then the layoffs came. My prediction: The new T/O list starts October. The promotionals will consist mostly of C/Rs since many B/Os were terminated (laid off same thing they are not calling them back. They will conveniently not be able to find their paperwork) What happens when all those C/Rs become T/Os? big void in the C/R sector. Most of those on the C/R promotionals were cleaners and S/As that were laid off, so they will exhaust the 333 left on the C/R promotional and move onto the OC C/R list saving them millions. This is what Walder's plan was all along.

Think about it, eliminating station agents only saves the TA money because they have metrocard vending machines. There really is no need for S/A except for tourist spots for them to buy metrocards. They are not the eyes, nor the ears of the system because most of the time they don't want you to bother them. The only safety purpose they serve is to be there so no one vandalizes the vending machines so that the vandals can sell rides. Most people who know how to use the machines avoid T/Os at all costs. Their nastiness has come back to bite them since there was very little support to keep them working. Eliminating bus routes and B/Os on those routes that don't make money makes them money as well. It's sort of like the NHL lockout. Some teams actually profitted from it because had the season been played they would have lost more money than with no season. With no season they ended up at less of a loss. That feels like a profit when you're bleeding money. Add to the fact that the TA will save more money with O/C C/Rs and the TA by next year can get under budget. Quite simple really.

exactly. they have not hired c/rs in 8months but the ones that are here are getting lots of o/t. but its still cheaper for (MTA)to pay o/t then hire and pay extra benefits

It's also cheaper having the OT C/Rs because new C/Rs require more money going into benefits. OT C/Rs already have their benefits paid so in the end it costs less.

I see you have it all figured out phrasier. You do realize that all the clerks you stereotyped as rude and nasty will still have their jobs after this month is over right??. Because most of them were old timers that have been here for more than 10 years. So in turn I have paid the price for the S/A's that are considered rude and nasty and for the ones that went on strike in 2005. So the public's perception won't change on them at all. And S/A's serve more of a function than what you mentioned. Until you have worked in the booth you have no idea what goes on, on a daily basis. I have re-united lost children with their parents. I have helped numerous people with heart conditions that needed medical assistance. I have also been thanked thousands of times from people I've helped recover their money that was either stolen in a MVM or lost on a damged metrocard. I've even had people so grateful for my help they bought me lunch or given me Christmas presents. And these are just a few examples of what purpose S/A's serve. So please don't try and sum up my former job as a statue that sits there for 8 hours watching the vending machine to make sure no one vandalizes it. It's always easy to sum up some one's job when your not doing it. I could say the the C/R's job is just open and close doors or that a T/O's job is just to push a lever forward and pull it backwards but I would be wrong as the jobs involve way more than that. Every single title down here serve a purpose to keep the system running efficiently or other wise they would have never been created in the first place. Walder is just trying to contort the public's view of what TA workers are needed and which aren't and you sound pro Walder which not a very good thing. He's saving money but not intelligently. Yeah it's cheaper to pay people OT for the workers they have laid off, but there will be a time when not many people want to do the OT because they have been stuck at work for 16 hours already more then twice a week. Like whats going in stations department right now. I have been pulled from my Lunch Relief job more than three times a week in the last three months to booths were people were getting stuck into triples. Or to G.O.'s that didn't even have S/A's working because they laid off most the people on the extra list. And instead had 2 Station Supervisor's and a Superintendent collecting tickets at 149st-grand concourse.

Archived