Buses On Eighth Avenue And Other Streets

Now that I've seen the new Manhattan bus schedules, it looks like Eighth Avenue service, rather than being cut, was simply changed. It appears the M10 was simply shortened and the M20 lengthened and the M104 will provide additional service between PABT and Columbus Circle (as before):

M20:

Old: Between Battery Park City and Penn Station

New: As of June 27th Between Battery Park City and Lincoln Center

M10:

Old: Between Penn Station and West 159th Street/Eighth Avenue

New: Between Columbus Circle and West 159th Street/Eighth Avenue

M104:

Old: Began/Ended at FDR and East 42d Street

New: Begins/Ends at PABT

So it looks like the M20 now becomes the Eighth Avenue bus and the M10 now becomes the CPW/Mr. Frederick Douglass Boulevard bus.

Not sure yet how I will feel about seeing the M9 on Avenue C after seeing it on Avenue B all these years. When I was growing up, we knew the route simply as the Avenue B And East Broadway then as the M9. This shift leaves Alphabet City with the M14A on Avenue A, new M9 on Avenue C (southbound only between East 23d and East 20th Streets) and the M14D on Avenue D (Avenue C between East 14th and East 10th Streets).

Weekdays the new M9 runs southbound from Peter Cooper 6am to 10pm and northbound from City Hall 6:30am to 10:45pm. Saturdays southbound from Peter Cooper 7:30am to 9:50pm and northbound from City Hall 8:15am to 10:30pm. Sundays southbound from Peter Cooper 7:25am to 10:00pm and northbound from City Hall 8:00am to 10:35pm. According to the schedule, the new M9 should take 31-32 minutes from terminal to terminal.

So long to the M18 and Q89 bus routes.

The wins:

M20: There's now a direct route between South Ferry and the Meatpacking District. :tup: I may actually "busfan" this route 'cause I rarely go to the West Village.

M103: I like to go to the Whole Foods on Houston/Bowery so I have a direct route. I used to take the M15, but you'll kill yourself crossing Allen St.

The losses:

M5. Is it me or is this now the longest bus route in NYC??? God knows how this bus is going to run on time.

M1 (downtown leg): I wish they kept this part of the route as this bus was always packed by the time it got to Centre St. This is a big loss for Chinatown. The 103 will be packed.

M21 (weekend service): Did this bus not have enough riders?? I think this bus is great, particularly since I get on at 6th Avenue and transfer to the subway at Bdwy-Lafayette or Prince St.

Archived