About the BOSS exam and more

LadyBus

I was called to take the BOSS survey on 3/12/08. I like to know exactly how long does the whole process, written test, medical, etc, takes?

Also what hours do they start you out with once training is complete?

Hi,

first of all congratulations to you! I have been hearing a lot about people being called down for the BOSS. My husband is number 3810 for the B/O 5025, should I be on the lookout you think for something in the mail soon for the BOSS? Hope everything goes well with you!

Good luck!

The first part, it depends on how many they need. They need alot, and will be calling alot. As for the hours you start, usually in OA you will be on the extra list and doing evenings. It also depends on the depot. West Farms had some of my classmates starting at 9-11am, and they were home at 8 to 10 pm. I was usually out by 1-2 am working out of KB.

In terms of the whole pre-training process- After the BOSS exam it took me another 9 months. LADYBUS: that will not be the case with you. If your taking your boss exam next week (3/12/08), you are probably going to be called for your drug test anywhere from 2 motnhs- 6 months after that. Remember, when they call people down for their boss exam, they call them by bulk. 300 per day. Therefore, your list # would determine everything.

Chris Frusci

I remember back in/around 2003, I applied for bus operator. I was called down to take the BOSS. They said I would receive a letter to take my medical soon. I never heard from them again. At the same time Mayor Bloomberg froze the hiring list and began laying off city workers. I figure since I started the 1st part, OA will continue the process. But no, they didn't and eventually the list expired. I hear Mayor Bloomberg is doing budget cuts again. I hope this doesn't happen again. What do you think?:):rolleyes:

*[edited by the administrator]*

I remember back in/around 2003, I applied for bus operator. I was called down to take the BOSS. They said I would receive a letter to take my medical soon. I never heard from them again. At the same time Mayor Bloomberg froze the hiring list and began laying off city workers. I figure since I started the 1st part, OA will continue the process. But no, they didn't and eventually the list expired. I hear Mayor Bloomberg is doing budget cuts again. I hope this doesn't happen again. What do you think?:):rolleyes:

*[edited by the administrator]*

Please do not post in CAPS. Check the forum rules here: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=165

Ladybus: Hearing your story is unfortunate, but there are two things I caught from your comment. One was 2003. The first thing I learned is that in the MTA there is no formula to ANYTHING. They just do whatever it is they feel like doing that day. If they want to hire 100 drivers, fine. If they want a hot dog for lunch instead of a sandwich, fine. Second, you said OA. OA for those who don't know, stand for "other authority". OA (other authority) is a reference to MABSTOA (Manhatten and Bronx Surface Transportation Operating authority). There are 3 bus divisions that make up the MTA. NYCT (new York City Transit), OA and MTA bus. MTA bus makes the least money. In order to get a job with MABSTOA (OA), you have to send in a form that comes out when they are hiring. You send that in along with a money order. (NOTE: there is no test for MABSTOA). Now back to what Ladybus was saying, OA only controls 2 boroughs. NYCT nack then had Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens. They recently all just merged. Now to answer your last question (What do you think?:):rolleyes:) If you are on the NYCT bus operator list 5025, you will get called. I would put my money on it. All I'm hearing is that there is a mass hiring going on. Unless everyone gets rich and buys cars, or everyone dies, people will be taking city transportation.

Chris Frusci

Ladybus: Hearing your story is unfortunate, but there are two things I caught from your comment. One was 2003. The first thing I learned is that in the MTA there is no formula to ANYTHING. They just do whatever it is they feel like doing that day. If they want to hire 100 drivers, fine. If they want a hot dog for lunch instead of a sandwich, fine. Second, you said OA. OA for those who don't know, stand for "other authority". OA (other authority) is a reference to MABSTOA (Manhatten and Bronx Surface Transportation Operating authority). There are 3 bus divisions that make up the MTA. NYCT (new York City Transit), OA and MTA bus. MTA bus makes the least money. In order to get a job with MABSTOA (OA), you have to send in a form that comes out when they are hiring. You send that in along with a money order. (NOTE: there is no test for MABSTOA). Now back to what Ladybus was saying, OA only controls 2 boroughs. NYCT nack then had Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens. They recently all just merged. Now to answer your last question (What do you think?:):rolleyes:) If you are on the NYCT bus operator list 5025, you will get called. I would put my money on it. All I'm hearing is that there is a mass hiring going on. Unless everyone gets rich and buys cars, or everyone dies, people will be taking city transportation.

Chris Frusci

OA = other authority? That's not very funny.........

I have a question for anyone that took the boss exam. I seen alot of people messing up on the exam. when you took the exam was there 75 questions you had to answer or did you have to start at question 27 and end up at question 75. because alot of people were messing up on this I just wanted to know if you seen this. thanks I also seen people start at number 1 in the book and it said start on question 27 and mark on your work sheet #1 for 27.

(NOTE: there is no test for MABSTOA)

While there's no test for a MaBSTOA applicant to study, they still have to take the BOSS before the division accepts/rejects that person.

I have a question for anyone that took the boss exam. I seen alot of people messing up on the exam. when you took the exam was there 75 questions you had to answer or did you have to start at question 27 and end up at question 75. because alot of people were messing up on this I just wanted to know if you seen this. thanks I also seen people start at number 1 in the book and it said start on question 27 and mark on your work sheet #1 for 27.

When I went to the (MTA) building to take the BOSS 3 weeks ago, we were told to answer all 75 questions in that exam booklet.

correct. Everyone has to take the boss exam. For MABSTOA, when I said no test, I meant no civil service test to apply for the job.

I forgot how many questions were on the boss. It was only 75? I was way off then. I must be confusing it with sanitations pyschological exam.

To anyone who has read my posts: I am probably wrong about the amount of questions on the BOSS exam. Ive been saying there was 200. Its only 75. Now that I think back, I do remember being in and out in about an hour and a half.

The whole goal of the boss exam is to fully recognize what they are asking you. Once you figure out what they are asking you, just answer the truth. Why? The reason why is because they ask the same thing five times. So you might put true on one question, then false on the other question they ask.

Chris Frusci

I went down to take a boss test and i seen on the booklet please start at question #27 for number 1 on your work sheet. and I seen alot of people getting confuse because the guy told everyone that there is 75 questions. but if you start at 27 in the booklet and end up at 75 that's 49 questions on the anwser sheet. what I also seen peopl were filling in the questions that were from 1-26 which were test samples. Also seen other people started at 27 on the answer sheet. then the guy said what are you doing. I think MTA wants to see if you are reading the booklet and follwing it. let me know if anyone else seen this before

] i took the boss exam on 3/7/08 there are 75 questions u have to answer all of them 1-27 or statements & u have to answer for an example on top it says a= agree,b=disagree c=average d= strongly agree, e= strongly disagree

then it would say for example: i love coming to work late. you have to say do u agree,disagree,average, strongly agree, or strongly disagree

some people skip 1-26 & started @ number 27 some one did that next to me he took the paper up the lady just shook her head like crazy & put his paper down then another person went & ask the lady where to start from she was like sir im done your on your own read the directions

my random list # is 3162 so hopefully i get called cause i read some post on here & it looks like mta makes alot of mistakes so some people could fail the boss exam & stilll get called to do the drug test so i have to sit back & see yeah i read it chris thanks alot . dob & bklyn bob thanks alot for helping me especially dob like u said just let them hear what they want 2 hear & u in there

alialdagreat you said you took the boss test how many questions did you have to answer. Because I took this before and I had to answer 1-75 there was 2 parts when I went last week I took the boss interview and it was the same booklet 2006 yellow . I open the booklet and started to read then I looked at the questions from 1-26 which I know I had to answer but when I got to the page there was a list of questions and on the top of the page you had to pick the

answer. The problem is it didn't say to start at question 1 and fill in 1 on the work sheet what it did say is start at question 27 and fill in 1 on your worksheet. Did I miss something because I passed this 2 times before and the booklet was the same the only thing this time around I had to answer 49 questions. in the book from 27-75. is there some trick going on. also I had to sign a paper before the interview and MR. Williams wasn't there this time to talk about things. well let me know if anyone seen this before. I seen this before when I took a test for a job They had 300 questions that had to be answer in 2hours I said to my self no way but when I was reading the book it said the frist 200 question don't answer.

Oh so some people pass just doing 27-75 questions ? Maybe the booklets are a little diff so they want to see if your cheatting. Because I took this before and I never seen this. maybe they want to see if you can understand what your reading because not to long ago I was there and I just got my letter for passing it. I was confuse about this time.

27-75 that's only 48 questions so why would they give you an hour & half to answer some question I won't even call that an exam that's a survey I don't know if everybody got the same exact booklet I know I answer 75 questions & the paper u talking about that people have 2 sign when it was going around that was the attendance sheet everybody had to sign it & but they random # down

27-75 that's only 48 questions so why would they give you an hour & half to answer some question I won't even call that an exam that's a survey I don't know if everybody got the same exact booklet I know I answer 75 questions & the paper u talking about that people have 2 sign when it was going around that was the attendance sheet everybody had to sign it & but they random # down

Everyone has the same exact questions they just word change the letters to the answers.

Archived