Obama's Tobacco Law

East New York

By Stephen Collinson (AFP) – Jun 22, 2009

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US President Barack Obama Monday signed into law a bill giving the government historic powers to curb cigarette makers, declaring the move emblematic of the change he is bringing to Washington.

Obama affixed his signature to the measure with a nod to his own struggles to kick the habit, and lamented the fact that 1,000 people under the age of 18 become regular smokers every day, courting a range of grave health risks.

"I know, I was one of these teenagers, and so I know how difficult it can be to break this habit when it's been with you for a long time," Obama said.

"I also know that kids today don't just start smoking for no reason -- they're aggressively targeted as customers by the tobacco industry.

"They're exposed to a constant and insidious barrage of advertising where they live, where they learn, and where they play."

The law grants the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), a regulatory body, the authority to ban flavorings added to some tobacco products and require tough new warning labels, in a bid to lessen tobacco use among young people.

Obama argued that the bill's passage was just the latest sign that he was living up to his promise to forge fundamental political reform.

Why are cigarettes still legal??? That's what I want to know! If you would like to read the entire article, you can do so here: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gcs2w_LbIHF2DQk1ZB4jcVY3yYCg

You'll live a bit longer or have a better quality of life.

I look at it from an economic point of view. Why pay money to harm my body? If I want to f**k myself up, i'll go dance on the railroad tracks during rush hour.

I look at it from an economic point of view. Why pay money to harm my body? If I want to f**k myself up, i'll go dance on the railroad tracks during rush hour.

and unlike smoking the rest of us wont be subject to higher taxes and insurance premiums to pay for your goddamn radiation and chemo when you get cancer

who said taxing cancer sticks was bad?

ps dan you gotta find a new vice man...even if its hookers and u get a bj operating them trucks just make sure it aint smoke, save yourself the dough and give urself a longer life haha

Archived