Concerning stations

R10 2952

-As we can remember, the roof of the 181st Street station on the (1) collapsed some time ago. Yet to this day, the station still has all that scaffolding, and it appears that the situation is not improving. does anyone know why the work is taking so long? When can we expect the 181st Street station to lose the scaffolding and go back to normal?

-It seems that more often than not, current station renovations/rehabilitations are behind shedule and/or overbudget. Why does this happen so often? For example, if I can recall correctly, the original completion date for the renovation of 59th Street station ((A)(B)(C)(D)(1)) was supposed to be around late 2009/early-mid 2010. But it seems that this renovation is unlikely to be finished anytime soon. What seems to be the holdup? When might the renovations @ 59th St. finally be completed?

-Sometimes it seems that the (MTA) is quicker to fix up stations that are not in dire need of a renovation, but slow to fix stations that are in great need of rehabilitation. For example, Dyckman-200th Street on the (1) line is crumbling (despite the fact that many people use it), and Chambers Street on the (J)(M2)(Z) is rotting (and yet it is located in Lower Manhattan). How is it that such sations are overlooked? Is it possible for stations such as these to be improved anytime soon?

What's your take on all of this?

Although few people use it, I'm waiting for the the 21st St/Van Alst station on the G train to go kaput anyday now. The water damage at that station is incredible.

They started rehab work at the Newkirk Ave train station - the steel pillars have been replaced. But when will that be finished??

The Fulton project was supposed to be done this year... then pushed to 2012 then to 2014. Why? Nobody knows what can happen. Budget shortfalls. Prices for materials can go up. Rules and regulations for construction from the city and the state. Other safety guidelines. Also the MTA is paying the contractors the money. If the contractors want more money, the MTA has to give them it, otherwise they stop working. And the contractors have a fixed timetable. It's very complicated.

While that's Fulton I'm talking about, similar things happen to other rehab projects all over the place, albeit on a smaller scale.

I bet any amount of money that the Jamaica Avenue EL collapses within 5 years if there is no major work done. I was on the J today waiting for the Manhattan bound J train and the train to Jamaica pulled in and stopped, the whole station rocked back and forth, left to right forward to back. Once the train left 111 street station ( I was at 111 street waiting) and it pulled into 121 street and stopped the station started rocking again. I was on the 111 street A train and that station barely rocks or moves back and forth when the trains pull in and out...

It seems the J train stations that have trains in the center tracks parked for the night are the ones with the most damage to the pillars down on the street level.

The only way things get done is when people get hurt or die.

@Messino: Next year, a 30-month project to rehab the Jamaica line is expected to begin. Full story here.

Well, we will see what the MTAs definition of REPAIR and REHABILITATION really is when all is said and done.. I think itll be just another BS patch job... They need to replace all of the steel and completely rebuild it like they are already doing with the LIRR Atlantic ave EL in brooklyn.

Although few people use it, I'm waiting for the the 21st St/Van Alst station on the G train to go kaput anyday now. The water damage at that station is incredible.

They started rehab work at the Newkirk Ave train station - the steel pillars have been replaced. But when will that be finished??

Most of the stations on the (G) line have water damage,go to the B'way station and that station has serious water damage to the platform,pillers,colums.

Well, we will see what the MTAs definition of REPAIR and REHABILITATION really is when all is said and done.. I think itll be just another BS patch job... They need to replace all of the steel and completely rebuild it like they are already doing with the LIRR Atlantic ave EL in brooklyn.

The (MTA) isn't gonna rebuild the jamaica EL.that would need ALOT of money,and bus service.so a patch job seems likely,or something else.

Yeah I guess the rest of the Jamaica EL between Cypress Hills and 121st Street will get a mere renovation so they'll look on par with the trat of the stations along the Jamaica El from Marcy Avenue to Crescent Street. I believe those stations got their renovations back in 2001-2002.

The (MTA) isn't gonna rebuild the jamaica EL.that would need ALOT of money,and bus service.so a patch job seems likely,or something else.

Nice.. they spend 66.7 million on rebuilding of the Atlantic Avenue El,which is going to be pretty much 95% a new structure but they wont do it for the rotted Els on the MTA lines..

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/hearings/pdf/Public%20Hearing%20Notice.pdf

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/hearings/2009_publichearing.pdf

@Messino: Next year, a 30-month project to rehab the Jamaica line is expected to begin. Full story here.

My dad lives right by the Jamaica El (Cypress Hills) and I can tell you it sure as hell needs a good paint job. You can easily pick off a patch of paint from the structure. A new paint job will add some brightness down Jamaica Av.

My dad lives right by the Jamaica El (Cypress Hills) and I can tell you it sure as hell needs a good paint job. You can easily pick off a patch of paint from the structure. A new paint job will add some brightness down Jamaica Av.

I'm with you on that one. The section that runs over Fulton Street, Crescent Street and Jamaica Avenue does look like an eyesore. The Broadway section looks fine but the streets under it need to be repaved.

The 181st Street subway station (1) is among the oldest subway stations in active use having opened on March 16, 1906. That makes 181st 104 years old this year,

If I may add, that section of the (1) between 157th and Dyckman Streets, featuring 157th, 168th, 181st and 191st Street stations is impressive architectually.

The station design and age may be a contributing factor to the progress of the work.

Archived