(A) to Rockaway Park

iGeMiNix

As we all know usually the (A) to Rockaway Park enters service at 59th. Apparently starting next week, 2 out of 5 will enter service at 168St according to the new schedule. Does anybody know why they decided to change this? Or has it been happening like this and they finally decided to put it on the schedule? Thanks.

I played around with the Trip Planner on the MTA website - using today's date, it shows all five southbound trains available at 168 St. at the following times:

Depart 168 St 4:04 PM Arr. Rockaway Pk 5:26 PM

Depart 168 St 4:22 PM Arr. Rockaway Pk 5:47 PM

Depart 168 St 4:45 PM Arr. Rockaway Pk 6:08 PM

Depart 168 St 5:04 PM Arr. Rockaway Pk 6:27 PM

Depart 168 St 5:24 PM Arr. Rockaway Pk 6:47 PM

Interesting, in my opinion, I am not a huge fan of them entering service at 59th since I have to wait for the next one but I guess it has its reason. It's nice to know that the they can be in service before 59th now instead of late put ins, etc.

Must be express - if you use a CPW local station as the origin on the Trip Planner, it tells you to take a B or C to 59th Street and change there for the <A>.

See this map to see what he is talking about: http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/biguptown.png . The tracks from the 174th Street Yard lead into the center tracks at the 168th Street station, which become the local tracks. The <A> can switch south of the 168th Street station or the 145th Street station to get to the express track. He's asking which one they will use.

Aren't the Rock Park <A> trains laid up at 207th yard for the mid-day? That would have the afternoon put-ins arrive on the express tracks. If not, as was said they will most likely switch the trains to the express south of 168, since it's only 5 trains a day.

Archived