New MTA proposal would save jobs of 700 workers

Harry

More than 700 pink-slipped transit workers - including two bus drivers fighting overseas - would keep their jobs under an MTA proposal to their union, the Daily News has learned.

In exchange for cost-cutting concessions like a less generous pension for new hires, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority also has offered to bring back about 250 token booth clerks who were laid off just last month, sources told The News.

Transport Workers Union Local 100 President John Samuelsen last night said he won't agree to the current proposal - but the two sides are expected to continue discussions today.

"This is a way for the union to avoid layoffs and still meets the financial targets the MTA needs," an MTA source said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/06/24/2010-06-24_mta_proposal_would_save_jobs_of_700_workers.html#ixzz0rm8JcQE1

More than 700 pink-slipped transit workers - including two bus drivers fighting overseas - would keep their jobs under an MTA proposal to their union, the Daily News has learned.

In exchange for cost-cutting concessions like a less generous pension for new hires, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority also has offered to bring back about 250 token booth clerks who were laid off just last month, sources told The News.

Transport Workers Union Local 100 President John Samuelsen last night said he won't agree to the current proposal - but the two sides are expected to continue discussions today.

"This is a way for the union to avoid layoffs and still meets the financial targets the MTA needs," an MTA source said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/06/24/2010-06-24_mta_proposal_would_save_jobs_of_700_workers.html#ixzz0rm8JcQE1

What did i mention about those "Unborn" again a while back????

C/R's are next in Line if John dont make a deal watch...

the crux of the article is right here

Under the proposal, TWU is asked to accept three contract changes, previously accepted by other state and transit unions, affecting new hires:

The plan offers a less generous pension. Now, most workers are eligible for full benefits at age 55 after 25 years of service. But new workers wouldn't be eligible until they are 57 with 30 years or 66 with a decade .

Workers would get the top hourly pay rate after five years, up from three.

Union members would have higher contributions for their health care coverage.

Next year, current transit workers would get a one-time bonus equal to 3% of earnings instead of a 3% permanent raise. Samuelsen told the Daily News he opposes opening up the existing contract to make permanent changes, especially without a written no-layoff clause for the future.

the union could agree to this in 2010 and then their people be laid off in 2011!!!

i know it says age 57 but 99% of new Train Operators from the open competitive list would not be able to get 30 years in by age 57. i wasnt eligible for the exam until THE MONTH THE FILING PERIOD OCCURED, meaning unless somebody broke child labor laws to get the 5 years of full time experience, nobody's gonna be in a better spot than that to have a decent retirement age... and im already 25! there's no way im getting hired in 2 years. i wouldnt get 30 years in until about age 62 if i have a 5-7 year wait just to get in. ITS TIER 5 IN DISGUISE!!!!!

Samuelsen's not gonna agree to anything until the outcome of the Public Transportation Preservation Act of 2010 http://www.twulocal100.org/story/sen-schumers-message-preserve-public-transportation . this is Samuelsen's last chance of getting everything he wants, no layoffs and preserve the current contract. until then i dont see him agreeing to ANYTHING

Samuelsen's not gonna agree to anything until the outcome of the Public Transportation Preservation Act of 2010 http://www.twulocal100.org/story/sen-schumers-message-preserve-public-transportation . this is Samuelsen's last chance of getting everything he wants, no layoffs and preserve the current contract. until then i dont see him agreeing to ANYTHING

I can see him waiting of coruse still they are talking so that alone says enough.

Lets see what happenes.

if it was just an "unborn" vote i think they'd do it. but the (MTA) says the current members also have to give up their 3% raise PLUS a higher healthcare contribution. the whole benefits package wouldn't be the same ever again, but if Samuelsen doesnt agree to this it would still be possible that employees be brought back with adequate funding

What did i mention about those "Unborn" again a while back????

I'm on one O.C. list and a hopeful for a second. If John Samuelsen and I were standing face to face right now, I'd tell him to tell everyone on those lists, myself included, to go Eff ourselves. I'm one of these so-called "unborns," one of the many who may never get a call, one of the many who may not take a job with the (MTA), even if the offer is on the table, one of the many who may fail school car or catch a pink slip during probation; one of the many who may never escape their undetermined gestation period in the womb known as "an established list" and have their umbilical cords cut in order to properly fit into a uniform.

Us "unborns" see the picture in front of us, but most don't seem to see what happens when management's turpentine is spilled all over the canvas. John Samuelsen's only priority right now is to protect his due-paying members and those who've recently been axed. If he tries to look out for the future that may never come to be by conceding ground gained and rights and benefits earned, the future will never ever be able to get those contractual piss puddles back. As far as the Tier 5 talk goes. . . . it's only a matter of time before insurance contributions increase, pension disbursements decrease and no one is happy anywhere; that goes for ALL unions in North America, save for the Tier 5 reference. A failure to abort the Unborns by choice on behalf of TWU 100's administration will only lead to Stillborn union members and employees in the future.

I don't see why the union wouldn't agree to the increase in healthcare contributions. It's not like they are paying a lot 1.5% is nothing . On the average 60000 salary for a transit worker that only comes out to a whopping $900 a year or $34 a paycheck.

I don't see why the union wouldn't agree to the increase in healthcare contributions. It's not like they are paying a lot 1.5% is nothing . On the average 60000 salary for a transit worker that only comes out to a whopping $900 a year or $34 a paycheck.

if they are going to make us pay, it should be a flat rate......i know supervision in the stations departments(not sure about rto, etc) they pay a flat rate per check..........

30 years is a long time in this enviorment imo, but i can see why ta came up with that #, because you got guys with that amount of time still down here.......

as for the selling out the unborns, he may not have a choice.....does sammuelsen want his tenure as twu president to be remembered as having current memebers laid off to save people that arent even hired yet?

as for the 3%, i wouldnt give that up.........the deal they are offering in replacement of that is absurd........

Transit workers are very well compensated better than most city employees.

The 3% loss is not gonna kill you guys. Plus you guys get so much overtime

If you were one of us you would know that is changing too,but you're not,so you don't.

I'm on one O.C. list and a hopeful for a second. If John Samuelsen and I were standing face to face right now, I'd tell him to tell everyone on those lists, myself included, to go Eff ourselves. I'm one of these so-called "unborns," one of the many who may never get a call, one of the many who may not take a job with the (MTA), even if the offer is on the table, one of the many who may fail school car or catch a pink slip during probation; one of the many who may never escape their undetermined gestation period in the womb known as "an established list" and have their umbilical cords cut in order to properly fit into a uniform.

Us "unborns" see the picture in front of us, but most don't seem to see what happens when management's turpentine is spilled all over the canvas. John Samuelsen's only priority right now is to protect his due-paying members and those who've recently been axed. If he tries to look out for the future that may never come to be by conceding ground gained and rights and benefits earned, the future will never ever be able to get those contractual piss puddles back. As far as the Tier 5 talk goes. . . . it's only a matter of time before insurance contributions increase, pension disbursements decrease and no one is happy anywhere; that goes for ALL unions in North America, save for the Tier 5 reference. A failure to abort the Unborns by choice on behalf of TWU 100's administration will only lead to Stillborn union members and employees in the future.

As I fellow unborn...I reluctantly have to agree with you. Everything you said is true.

Transit workers are very well compensated better than most city employees.

The 3% loss is not gonna kill you guys. Plus you guys get so much overtime

Overtime? man its gotten so bad that management is not filling in runs when guys go sick or on a random, and they give the extra list guys most of the shuttle work on the weekends so they don't have to pay the ot to the guys that request it. they got a lot of guys saying that they are falling behind in their mortgage and car notes and other stuff so i think that 3% will kill a lot of us.

the same thing happened in 2008 at the post office. i made $70,000 on a base salary of $38,000 in 2007 because of overtime. then like literally as the calendar hit 2008 they cut all the overtime because of "the economy". everyone was pissed because they had mortgages that they couldnt afford on their base salary but only could because they were working 7 days a week, 12 hrs a day for all those years. you know what the UNION told us? dont live beyond your means! overtime is NOT guaranteed!

on a side note i think firefighters get guaranteed OT, but not many other gov't agencies, if any

as for the selling out the unborns, he may not have a choice.....does sammuelsen want his tenure as twu president to be remembered as having current memebers laid off to save people that arent even hired yet?

everyone's coming on here saying he should sell out the unborns without remembering the one major point. he has to sell out the current members too! otherwise the (MTA) says they wont have enough money to stave off the layoffs

everyone's coming on here saying he should sell out the unborns without remembering the one major point. he has to sell out the current members too! otherwise the (MTA) says they wont have enough money to stave off the layoffs

Yeah, but as many people here have stated, John Samuelsen's sole priority is to protect those that he knows, not those that may never be known. And the (MTA) management posse can say what they want. What is said and what is done are two totally different items, and this has been proven time and time again. Samuelsen is calling Walder's bluff with his current members, but he'd be going all on a eight-deuce off-suit if he tried to save one of us little open competitive spermies.

Right now one of the jobs that's gets almost unlimited overtime is the nypd

my friend is raking in so much cash . So if you guys want to make real money join the force. Plus you don't have to worry about getting laid off. The average transit worker makes 60k is 3% really gonna improve your quality of life that much ?? It's only 1800 a year !!

Right now one of the jobs that's gets almost unlimited overtime is the nypd

my friend is raking in so much cash . So if you guys want to make real money join the force. Plus you don't have to worry about getting laid off. The average transit worker makes 60k is 3% really gonna improve your quality of life that much ?? It's only 1800 a year !!

for some people 1800 can go a long way

Archived