New MTA proposal would save jobs of 700 workers

Harry

Cdi,

They are not going to layoff conductors . If they layoff conductors I will never post on here again. They need conductors to run the trains.

Not really primo, OPTO is successfully ran in other cities even ATO is ran on the DC Metro. So no they don't need C/R's. As for S/A's they may be trying to shrink or faze us out but fact is they will always need someone on the station. I was recently in DC the transit system the MTA is trying to model it's self after as well as London and both systems have customer service agents on their system. But neither have C/R's. Even Philly's SEPTA runs OPTO and still has station agents or whatever they call them there. Worst case scenario I can see if they wanna really lower S/A numbers is by only having us at high profile stations and large transit hubs. Everywhere else will be unmanned much like they do it on the CTA in Chicago.

walder is a sneaky f**k. lets say the union takes the deal then he turns around and continues the layoffs. twu should not give in. station agents have been a target for years ever since they introduced the metrocard so i dont think we should give back for a title thats going to be phased out. ATD and towers are also dead titles. the atd's were already informed they are going back to their former titles. some were out of title for a year or more so they start back at the bottom. unless there are mass retirements no title is safe. i was told today by a tss that even junior tss may be sent back. this place is becoming london real fast. once its totally f**ked walder will stroll out the door.

I don't understand why ATDs would be considered antiquated. I suppose with ATS there less of a need for them, but what about the B Division? Also, what about ATDs at the RCC? Wouldn't they be replaced by T/Ds if the title was eliminated which would require higher pay?

Will,

they may do opto And ato in other cities but NYC is way too large and busy to implement these so called strategies to cut costs and decrease safety.

Listen at this point nyct is doing all kinda of things no one thought was possible but they are doing them . So the mantra of how nyc is too big and busy to do this or that is no longer valid. If that was the case they would not be laying anyone off. No matter what walder and company say about how titles are dead or antiqued, every title is essential to efficient system movement. The only thing keeping the ta from going with opto and ato is the union. Like I've said and many others these two programs work is similar size cities and transit systems. And this is why the mta wants it here because It's been proven to work.

Listen at this point nyct is doing all kinda of things no one thought was possible but they are doing them . So the mantra of how nyc is too big and busy to do this or that is no longer valid. If that was the case they would not be laying anyone off. No matter what walder and company say about how titles are dead or antiqued, every title is essential to efficient system movement. The only thing keeping the ta from going with opto and ato is the union. Like I've said and many others these two programs work is similar size cities and transit systems. And this why the mta wants it here because It's been proven to work.

Will OPTO can work under the right Conditions, but the way the (MTA) wants to do it it will NOT work it will never work. This isnt some "protect my fellow union memebers rant" its a basic fact. Timetables will have to be redone, work programs, cameras installed, all trains Would have to be full width cabs as well. Forget the ATO nonsense for now the union isnt stopping that from happening, ONE word is stopping that ACCOUNTABILITY. No way the (MTA) wants thier "system" being blamed for any incident nope not happening. They will always need a fall person always. Take it from somebody who worked B1 territory and "hears" the (L)arry Line Drama with ATO.

What happens if crime goes up in subway stations that are now not staffed by S/A's, and lawsuits are filed by victims who say that MTA is not keeping the stations safe? That adds legal costs, and lots of them, since the settlements and verdicts tend to be sizable in those cases.

What happens when a conductorless train has an incident, and somebody gets hurt? What happens when an OPTO T/O overruns a station and it causes a problem? Or reports to work drunk, overruns a couple stations, and the C/R is not there to call it in? Also, how does TA plan to keep trains running with a reduced headcount? They're going to have to pay more overtime, and there's going to be less cushion which might mean ABD intervals, etc. They won't have to pay additional workers' benefits, but they'll be paying existing workers more, and they'll continue paying them more as they boost their pensions.

If you think like a bean counter:

Lawsuit = possible expense with payments possibly deferred for years, full time employee = definite expense to be paid every 14 days. It is far cheaper over the long run to simply pay off the lawsuits.

As far as conductorless trains, you have to ask whether other cities have had major problems after switching to one-person trains; to say that it would never work here would be the same as an ostrich sticking its head in the sand. However, there are certain lines where it could work and others where it would never work (i.e. you could have the (4) go OPTO on the midnights, but it would never work for the AM's nor PM's). The key for the union, IF they decide to go that route, is to get the absolute maximum for the giveback(s) such as a large hike in the OPTO diff (as well as hikes in other titles requiring increased productivity), rehiring of the laid off workers and a reinstatement of the no-layoff clause.

Also, it is far, far cheaper to pay OT than to pay for benefits.

Walder has let it be known without a doubt that he wishes to cut down the TA to its bare essentials. The way things are going now, I wouldn't be surprised if mandatory overtime rears its ugly head again (we havent had mandatory OT in over ten years.)

Walder has let it be known without a doubt that he wishes to cut down the TA to its bare essentials. The way things are going now, I wouldn't be surprised if mandatory overtime rears its ugly head again (we havent had mandatory OT in over ten years.)

Something im looking and NOT looking forward too..

Something im looking and NOT looking forward too..

Believe me, I had to live through that period of mandatory OT about 15 years ago; to tell someone that they HAVE to work six day weeks is not pleasant. OT should always be voluntary, never mandatory.

Cdi,

They are not going to layoff conductors . If they layoff conductors I will never post on here again. They need conductors to run the trains.

Don't be so naive remember tha (MTA) is a conglomerate who does what it wants and when it wants and even defies tha law too

there's an opinion article in the Daily News that says Samuelsen has his own plan to get the money needed to stave off the cuts but he refuses to announce it publicly right now http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2010/06/25/2010-06-25_save_the_workers.html

i hope he doesnt have a real plan but just goes in front of all the New York media cameras and starts screaming at the top of his lungs "THE MTA REFUSES TO SPEND 10% OF THE FEDERAL STIMULUS MONEY WHICH WOULD SAVE YOUR BUSES AND KEEP YOUR SUBWAYS SAFE WITH TOKEN CLERKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WOULD RATHER CUT GRANDMA'S BUS LINE TO HER DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT THAN SPEND A SMALL PORTION OF OUR STIMULUS MONEY ON SECURING YOUR DAILY COMMUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". this would no doubt make the lead story on all 6 local news channels and maybe even the evening news if his face gets red enough while he does it... and it will finally put the onus on the (MTA) to spend that damn stimulus money on operating expenses already

I truly hope not. I left accounting because mandatory overtime sucks (especially with no compensation for it). I'd hate to go back to having work dictate all. I realize TA is like that to some extent and "needs of the service" coming first but that's a whole another level I'd like to stay away from. Hopefully that won't happen. But we never know.

Skilled trade and labor unions were formed in the U.S. 150 years ago to end this kind of shit: six 16-hour work days each week in a sweatshop, without any benefits whatsoever and tenement housing that made PMS cramping seem like tickling. I just may mail Jay Walder a copy of U.S. History For Dummies so that he can get a quick refresher before he continues to march on with his relentless campaign to break apart any union with which he crosses paths. Maybe he'll be enlightened by what he learns.

I'm sure Walder and his marionettes don't miss too many vacations or engagements with family and friends due to a staffing shortage. Then again, there really doesn't seem to be a lack of totem-pole toppers. The biggest point that the Pied Piper and his Rats seem to forget is that people come to work to live, but they don't live to work.

Well here's the thing. In order to create mandatory overtime, the TA has to officially call an emergency due to inadequate staffing. If that were to happen, the union would fight the emergency stating that there are adequate people available to work: those who were laid off.

In titles without layoffs, chances are that that portion of the emergency would be left standing.

Archived