Brooklyn man at odds with City Hall for using private buses to rescue riders

Harry

C'mon, people - how many hundreds of threads are on boards like this with people saying 'I think the MTA should do this' or 'Why don't they change that - a bus route on ___ Street would get lots of riders', etc. Joel is out there trying to actually do something, and some of you are only trying to tear him down. If his efforts fail, then they fail, but at least he's giving it a shot.

not even gonna fly off the handle with this response....

He resurrected his version of 4 express routes that's been eliminated by the MTA....

bring back the x90... bring back the QM22, bring back the x25, bring back the x29.... lest we forget, some people were defiantly stating that the x29 should get axed b/c it "parallels the brighton".... the x25 is a "waste of a route" "nobody takes this"... no one even bothered mentioning the QM22 before the cuts.... the x90 got little mention as well (as fair a ridership that this route once had)

People here mainly talk changes to local routes (since they can relate more to them)....

What local route has he brought back... or do those riders not matter as much, since they're even less willing to pay a slightly higher fare & join *anything* that requires them to embark upon a bus....

look, you see it as, some of us are trying to tear him down....

I see it as, some of you simply rooting for the guy b/c he's the underdog in all of this....

People here mainly talk changes to local routes (since they can relate more to them)....

What local route has he brought back... or do those riders not matter as much, since they're even less willing to pay a slightly higher fare & join *anything* that requires them to embark upon a bus....

It would be pain to bring back a local bus because free transfer is what keeps them up and running and this guy don't give transfer to MTA Bus or Subway.

I never heard of somebody complaining about volunteer work except for now.

Tell me something... Do you work.... Do you go to school...

How much leeway does your boss allow you, as far as lateness go... how much leeway does your teachers/professors allow you...

Volunteer work.... that's funny...

We're not talking about something like handing out flyers or passing out hors d'oeuvres on the streets.... we're talking about transportation; something that's heavily relied upon (especially in this city) to keep this city moving....

You even referring to it as such, shows that you don't even respect him enough to deem his services as reputable... Azumah likes to think he's this big business tycoon... with him, it's always him vs. the MTA.... You don't hear or see this stance from other private services such as the "downtown alliance", or even the operators and/or owners of the B110.....

Furthermore, I read the stories of how he left Staten Islanders out in the cold w/ his shotty buses & rude drivers.... This guy can just up & leave b/c he doesn't feel it's "worth it" in the longrun... where would that leave w/e riderbase he has accrued over time.... having to take taxi's or, yep, you guessed it... MTA's subways or local buses in some way, shape, or form....

and his drivers better be damn sure they don't get into no accidents either....

liability and reliability....

Replies in bold:

"The taxi stand at 71st Street/York Avenue would be much more popular considering it gives on-demand service, so his X90 route wouldn't do too well."

And what pre-tax benefits do taxis offer? The X90 is the strongest of the bunch and will be stronger next week when people start returning from vacation.

I just can't picture Upper East Siders worrying about pre-tax benefits. If you go to a taxi stand, there is more flexibility, especially since they have to be an Apple Club member (I'm aware that it is required by NYCDOT). I would think that those people would want a certain amount of privacy. Now, you might be able to get maybe 70% of all former X90 riders, but I think a lot of them will just go to the taxi stand.

"If the X25 had 20 riders, that is 10 riders per direction (I think a passenger is counted as every person who boards), and 2-3 riders per bus. Even if ridership doubles to 6 people per bus, that is only $18. He could be spending that time on a more useful route."

The X25 needs a re-launch and we are going to do that. It is hard for people to ride a bus that they don't know exists.

How are you going to advertise it? As I said before, if you had mentioned it in the MTA service reductions booklet that you would offer a parallel service if the routes were discontinued, that would be free advertisement. Don't forget that people reading through the booklet would see that you would offer an alternative service, and that news stories would say something to the effect of "TransportAzumah has expressed an interest in taking over the X25/X29/X90/QM22 routes". If you refuse to deal with the MTA, that is your loss.

Tell me something... Do you work.... Do you go to school...

How much leeway does your boss allow you, as far as lateness go... how much leeway does your teachers/professors allow you...

Volunteer work.... that's funny...

We're not talking about something like handing out flyers or passing out hors d'oeuvres on the streets.... we're talking about transportation; something that's heavily relied upon (especially in this city) to keep this city moving....

You even referring to it as such, shows that you don't even respect him enough to deem his services as reputable... Azumah likes to think he's this big business tycoon... with him, it's always him vs. the MTA.... You don't hear or see this stance from other private services such as the "downtown alliance", or even the operators and/or owners of the B110.....

Furthermore, I read the stories of how he left Staten Islanders out in the cold w/ his shotty buses & rude drivers.... This guy can just up & leave b/c he doesn't feel it's "worth it" in the longrun... where would that leave w/e riderbase he has accrued over time.... having to take taxi's or, yep, you guessed it... MTA's subways or local buses in some way, shape, or form....

and his drivers better be damn sure they don't get into no accidents either....

liability and reliability....

If reliability is such an issue, then, yes it would be better if he had never set up the route in the first place, as, if there was no route, the customers would just take the alternate routes suggested and factor in the extra travel time. Since express bus customers are usually people who place a certain value on their time (and also convenience, which is what I was talking about when I mentioned the taxi stand), since they perceive the express bus to be faster and more convenient than the local bus/subway, that ridership base will wear away if reliability becomes an issue.

Archived