MTA.. What a Joke

jmazz77

Got back from P.S. 248. What a joke. Got my 7-day unlimited metrocard!! WooHoo!!!

They fired us, yet offered us positions in MTA Bus and as Temporary Bridge & Tunnel Officers.. What a slap in the face.

No one got paid for any sick time. They said you need 10yrs in.

No idea if/when they will call anyone back.

Our Medical benefits expire June 30th. But they are picking up the first month of Cobra. So July 31st, we are S-O-O-L.

I'm still floored by this whole thing. Livid. And feel stupid for even taking this job. I can honestly say, I will never go back to any job affiliated with the MTA. So anyone that still wishes to work there, you got one open seat guaranteed.

And I can honestly say the MTA will NEVER get another dime from me. I will never step foot on a city train or bus again. Anything the state decides to tax to raise revenue for the MTA, I will avoid. Absolute disgrace, treating their employees like this. And the union, is just as much an effin disgrace for not fighting harder to avoid this.

Wasted money on union dues, and wasted money on retirement health benefits I will never see.

They did the right thing having a police presence there b/c there were many angry people there. I plan on dropping off my uniform to Jay Walder's doorstep this week. Might even have a dog poop in the bag too.

Got back from P.S. 248. What a joke. Got my 7-day unlimited metrocard!! WooHoo!!!

They fired us, yet offered us positions in MTA Bus and as Temporary Bridge & Tunnel Officers.. What a slap in the face.

No one got paid for any sick time. They said you need 10yrs in.

No idea if/when they will call anyone back.

Our Medical benefits expire June 30th. But they are picking up the first month of Cobra. So July 31st, we are S-O-O-L.

I'm still floored by this whole thing. Livid. And feel stupid for even taking this job. I can honestly say, I will never go back to any job affiliated with the MTA. So anyone that still wishes to work there, you got one open seat guaranteed.

And I can honestly say the MTA will NEVER get another dime from me. I will never step foot on a city train or bus again. Anything the state decides to tax to raise revenue for the MTA, I will avoid. Absolute disgrace, treating their employees like this. And the union, is just as much an effin disgrace for not fighting harder to avoid this.

Wasted money on union dues, and wasted money on retirement health benefits I will never see.

They did the right thing having a police presence there b/c there were many angry people there. I plan on dropping off my uniform to Jay Walder's doorstep this week. Might even have a dog poop in the bag too.

I feel you man, I will be in your exact boat in about a month and a half roughly. It's really disgraceful how the MTA has handled these cuts. They didnt even give people enough time to know they were going to be laid off, That reduction in grade letter they sent out clearly says that this is not a lay off notice but to let you know your title is one considered for possible cuts. But the lay off letter states that you were given notice 60 days ago to your pending lay off. What a load of crap. I feel your pain brother, just try and keep your head up.

I feel you man, I will be in your exact boat in about a month and a half roughly. It's really disgraceful how the MTA has handled these cuts. They didnt even give people enough time to know they were going to be laid off, That reduction in grade letter they sent out clearly says that this is not a lay off notice but to let you know your title is one considered for possible cuts. But the lay off letter states that you were given notice 60 days ago to your pending lay off. What a load of crap. I feel your pain brother, just try and keep your head up.

I never got the reduction in grade letter. My letter says nothing about being laid off. "Laid off" means, to me at least, it is temporary with the possibility of being brought back when things get better. I got my letter giving me 1 week notice. Not 60 days.

The 3rd page of the letter i got, is a "Certification and Notice" which is required by law and it clearly states, " I,Brian Semler of MTA New York City Transit Authority and Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority, hereby certify that your termination from State service is because of.. blah blah blah blah....

I am wondering, if because I am not civil service, being OA, if they really do have to bring me back...?? Every one says so.. But I'm not civil service. So why should they? (if I wanted to come back that is) Notice how there hasn't been a civil service (TA) test in god knows how long.. And I am willing to bet they don't plan on hiring anymore civil service positions and consolidate the whole system. That way they can do whatever they want. And just shuffle the non-civil service employees into any borough.

If I am wrong about the civil service thing, please correct me. And a link to something stating it would be appreciated. Because I can't find anything.

I never got the reduction in grade letter. My letter says nothing about being laid off. "Laid off" means, to me at least, it is temporary with the possibility of being brought back when things get better. I got my letter giving me 1 week notice. Not 60 days.

The 3rd page of the letter i got, is a "Certification and Notice" which is required by law and it clearly states, " I,Brian Semler of MTA New York City Transit Authority and Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority, hereby certify that your termination from State service is because of.. blah blah blah blah....

I am wondering, if because I am not civil service, being OA, if they really do have to bring me back...?? Every one says so.. But I'm not civil service. So why should they? (if I wanted to come back that is) Notice how there hasn't been a civil service (TA) test in god knows how long.. And I am willing to bet they don't plan on hiring anymore civil service positions and consolidate the whole system. That way they can do whatever they want. And just shuffle the non-civil service employees into any borough.

If I am wrong about the civil service thing, please correct me. And a link to something stating it would be appreciated. Because I can't find anything.

There has been talk that tha (MTA) is trying to do away with Civil Service

that video on news 12 leaves the biggest cliffhanger ever! at the end of the video she says that some bus drivers might be hired back in September but didnt say why!!!

because school starts. so all those school runs that are cut in the summer are going to need to be covered in September.

25 B/O's from Casey Stengel are being laid off, seems like MTA Bus is the least affected from the 3 bus divisions. I wonder how many will get laid off in July to close the budget gap....

JMazz, the last TA bus exam(8006) was on April/08,then came the economic crisis later on in the year,followed by hiring freezes from the MTA. I think it's a safe bet that most of us on the 8006 list are angry from everything that has been going on. You can blame Roger for being laid off, he gave back the no layoff clause a few years ago,something that the union will NEVER EVER get back. Givebacks are forever.

25 B/O's from Casey Stengel are being laid off, seems like MTA Bus is the least affected from the 3 bus divisions. I wonder how many will get laid off in July to close the budget gap....

JMazz, the last TA bus exam(8006) was on April/08,then came the economic crisis later on in the year,followed by hiring freezes from the MTA. I think it's a safe bet that most of us on the 8006 list are angry from everything that has been going on. You can blame Roger for being laid off, he gave back the no layoff clause a few years ago,something that the union will NEVER EVER get back. Givebacks are forever.

Are you sure 8006 was TA??? I remember taking that one.. I was/should still be on that list, but got called from the one prior to it.. I could have sworn 8006 was MaBStoa.. I think I had a low-list # too..

(MTA) Bus is the least affected and they are sending some of the laid off operators over there but some of my colleagues I spoke with said they are not taking it I don't blame them for the simple fact that they were close to home we all know the majority of (MTA)Bus Depots are in Queens 1 in Brooklyn 1 in the Bronx and 1 in Yonkers

Are you sure 8006 was TA??? I remember taking that one.. I was/should still be on that list, but got called from the one prior to it.. I could have sworn 8006 was MaBStoa.. I think I had a low-list # too..

5025 and 8006 are both TA

the rest are OA

Yeah, 8006 was TA. 5025 was TA also,that was given in 06. There are a lot of people who are on both Mabstoa and TA B/O lists. It's been said on here that TA is the way to go. But I don't blame you from going on board with Mabstoa,nobody envisioned layoffs in the near future when you got hired.

(MTA) Bus is the least affected and they are sending some of the laid off operators over there but some of my colleagues I spoke with said they are not taking it I don't blame them for the simple fact that they were close to home we all know the majority of (MTA)Bus Depots are in Queens 1 in Brooklyn 1 in the Bronx and 1 in Yonkers

That would make sense. Spring Creek and Yonkers depot are way out there. Plus they would probably send them to a MTA Bus depot where they would be needed and not where they would want to go. MTA Bus is on a hiring freeze and as we all know they canceled the last exam this past winter.

Yeah, 8006 was TA. 5025 was TA also,that was given in 06. There are a lot of people who are on both Mabstoa and TA B/O lists. It's been said on here that TA is the way to go. But I don't blame you from going on board with Mabstoa,nobody envisioned layoffs in the near future when you got hired.

I was hired off the #2501 List.. But I remember when I was called in 2007, I didnt get on b/c I had one-too many points on my license.. Then, IIRC, in 2008, another exam/filing came out and I sent in for it, but I dont remember if it was 5025 or 8006. But I never took a test for it.. Like I did the first one. Just sent in the application and fee iirc..

Then IIRC, last year, I got my list# from that 2008 filing, and then I got called from the #2501 list. I held onto the letter from the 2nd filing I sent, until I got hired. Then I threw it out. But I am still almost positive it said Mabstoa.

Anyway, doesnt matter anymore..

I was even more upset to read in the Daily News that a fellow B/O on my old route, the B6, was assaulted on Monday. Sad.

I was hired off the #2501 List.. But I remember when I was called in 2007, I didnt get on b/c I had one-too many points on my license.. Then, IIRC, in 2008, another exam/filing came out and I sent in for it, but I dont remember if it was 5025 or 8006. But I never took a test for it.. Like I did the first one. Just sent in the application and fee iirc..

Then IIRC, last year, I got my list# from that 2008 filing, and then I got called from the #2501 list. I held onto the letter from the 2nd filing I sent, until I got hired. Then I threw it out. But I am still almost positive it said Mabstoa.

Anyway, doesnt matter anymore..

I was even more upset to read in the Daily News that a fellow B/O on my old route, the B6, was assaulted on Monday. Sad.

OA and TA will be completely merged eventually.

OA is going to have to merge into TA I can't see it the other way around due to the fact that subway personnel is TA

Yeah. It will all be TA. But I don't know when it will happen now. Maybe when they finally merge MTAB into TA???? I guess we will just have to wait and see!

Yeah. It will all be TA. But I don't know when it will happen now. Maybe when they finally merge MTAB into TA???? I guess we will just have to wait and see!

They've wanted to do that since 2006 I believe when they first started taking over the private bus lines.

They've wanted to do that since 2006 I believe when they first started taking over the private bus lines.

I believe the TA and Private Lines aren't uniting due to union issues, the MTA Bus and NYCT Bus are under two different unions, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong)

MTA New York City Bus is under the Transport Workers Union while MTA Bus is under the Amalgamated transit union iirc

Let me clarify a little as to what you said, this is from a LGA B/O.

JFK and Far Rockaway are ATU 1179,Spring Creek is ATU 1181

rest is TWU 100.

Archived