New Fantasy Map

BJSm

1 Train – Broadway/Seventh Avenue Local

Local in the Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn

Runs from Mosholu Avenue-North Riverdale to Governors Island, all times

2 Train – Broadway/Seventh Avenue Express

Local in Brooklyn and between 180th St and 3rd Ave, express north of 180th St and in Manhattan

Runs from 241st St-Wakefield to Kings Hwy, all times except late nights

Late nights runs to Avenue M-Canarsie instead of Kings Hwy after Franklin Ave

Late nights local north of 180th St

3 Train – Broadway/Seventh Avenue Express

Local in the Bronx and Brooklyn, express in Manhattan

Runs from Bedford Park Blvd-Lehman College to New Lots Avenue, all times except late nights

Late nights, no service, replaced by shuttle buses between 161st St and 135th St

9 Train – Broadway/Seventh Avenue Local/Express

Express in the Bronx and north of 96th St, local south of 96th St

Runs from Mosholu Avenue-North Riverdale to Avenue M-Canarsie, all times except late nights

Late nights, no service

---

4 Train – Lexington Avenue Express

Express in the Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn

Runs from Katonah Avenue-Woodlawn Heights to 162nd Avenue-Howard Beach, all times

Late nights local in the Bronx and Brooklyn

5 Train – Lexington Avenue Express

Express in the Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn

Runs from Dyre Avenue-Eastchester to Sheepshead Bay-Avenue Y, all times except late nights

Late nights shuttle between Dyre Ave-Eastchester and 180th St

6 Train – Lexington Avenue Local

Local in the Bronx and Manhattan

Runs from Pelham Bay Park to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall, all times

Late nights extended to Avenue Y-Sheepshead Bay

Express service between 177th St-Parkchester and 3rd Ave operates rush hours only

8 Train – Lexington Avenue Local

Local in the Bronx and Manhattan

Runs from Nereid Ave to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall, weekdays

Late nights and weekends, no service

---

7 Train – Flushing/Eleventh Ave Local and Express

Local in Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn

Runs from Little Neck to Red Hook, all times

Express service between Little Neck and Queens Plaza operates rush hours only

---

A Train – Eighth Avenue Express

Express in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens

Runs from Bartow Ave-Co-op City to Glen Oaks-Lakeville Rd, all times

Late nights local in Manhattan

Late nights stops at Wilson Ave

Late nights sends some trains to 252nd St-Riverdale north of 190th St

C Train – Eighth Avenue Local

Local in Manhattan and Brooklyn

Runs from 168th St-Washington Heights to Cross Bay Blvd, all times except late nights

Late nights, no service

E Train – Eighth Avenue Local

Express in Brooklyn and Queens, local in Manhattan

Runs from 224th St-Belmont to Francis Lewis Blvd-Rosedale, all times

H Train – Eighth Avenue Local

Local in Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan

Runs from 168th St-Washington Heights to Bell Blvd, all times except late nights

Late nights, no service

---

B Train – Sixth Avenue Express

Express in Brooklyn and Manhattan south of 59th St-Columbus Circle, local in the Bronx and Manhattan north of 59th St-Columbus Circle

Runs from Gun Hill Rd to Coney Island-Stillwell Ave, weekdays only

D Train – Sixth Avenue Express

Express in Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx

Runs from Gun Hill Rd to Coney Island-Stillwell Ave, all times

Late nights and weekends, local in the Bronx

Late nights local in Brooklyn

F Train – Sixth Avenue Local

Express in Queens, local in Manhattan and Brooklyn

Runs from Florham Park to Coney Island-Stillwell Ave, all times

Late nights and weekends, local north of Sutphin Blvd in Queens

I Train – Sixth Avenue Express

Express in Brooklyn and Manhattan

Runs from 252nd St-Riverdale to Staten Island Mall, all times except late nights

Late nights shuttle between 59th St and Staten Island Mall

V Train – Sixth Avenue Local

Express in Brooklyn south of Myrtle Ave, local in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn north of Myrtle Ave

Runs from Springfield Blvd to Avenue U-Kings Plaza, weekdays only

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Extend the (4) to JFK.

I was considering a line to JFK, but not the (4); either the (J) (along the (W) to

Foch Blvd and then south to JFK along the current light rail route) or the (C) (along the (Y) past Aqueduct Racetrack and then to JFK). I'm not sure which would be best.

I was considering a line to JFK, but not the (4); either the (J) (along the (W) to

Foch Blvd and then south to JFK along the current light rail route) or the (C) (along the (Y) past Aqueduct Racetrack and then to JFK). I'm not sure which would be best.

IMO, a line to JFK should be express in Queens/Brooklyn, to speed up the ride. IDK, maybe the southern branch of the (E)?

IMO, a line to JFK should be express in Queens/Brooklyn, to speed up the ride. IDK, maybe the southern branch of the (E)?

Hmm... That sounds reasonable. Extend the (Z) to cover the Rosedale branch of the (E), then direct the (E) along the (W) on Rockaway Blvd and then down the light rail route into JFK. That leaves the proposed line along Linden Blvd without service, but looking at a map, they're not so far from the (W) on Rockaway Blvd, the (J)(Z) on Atlantic Ave and the (Y)(Z) on the LIRR route near Brewer Blvd for it to be a problem.

Some changes, including cross-Brooklyn, cross-Queens and a JFK connection.

On this map, only half of all L/U and O/J trains would take the cross-borough routes all times except late nights while the other half would terminate at their previous terminals, reflecting lower demand for the cross-borough service and keeping some trains running shorter routes.

Late nights, the U wouldn't make it to Brooklyn (terminating at Broad St) while the O would go to College Point to replace the K (which would terminate at 8th Av/14th St late nights), leaving only the J and L on the cross-borough routes and all trains running cross-borough. Also, late nights the J terminates at Willets Point/Mets and may be extended there on game days.

nycsubway.png

Some changes, including cross-Brooklyn, cross-Queens and a JFK connection.

On this map, only half of all L/U and O/J trains would take the cross-borough routes all times except late nights while the other half would terminate at their previous terminals, reflecting lower demand for the cross-borough service and keeping some trains running shorter routes.

Late nights, the U wouldn't make it to Brooklyn (terminating at Broad St) while the O would go to College Point to replace the K (which would terminate at 8th Av/14th St late nights), leaving only the J and L on the cross-borough routes and all trains running cross-borough. Also, late nights the J terminates at Willets Point/Mets and may be extended there on game days.

nycsubway.png

WOW, this is cool! even better than mines, lol

How about the (G) or some service to (J)(F)(K) Airport

The most recent iteration right above your post has the (E) reaching JFK.

Also, in an oversight I forgot to add a connection between Bowling Green and Whitehall St-South Ferry. This will be fixed in the next version.

Also, some more route descriptions. The 8th Ave line descriptions have to be changed as well, will do so soon.

G Train – Crosstown Local

Local in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn

Runs from Broadway-125th St to Church Ave, all times

---

J Train – Nassau St/Jamaica Local

Local in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens

Runs from Fulton St Transit Center to Main St-Flushing with some trains terminating at Sutphin Blvd-Archer Ave, all times except late nights

Late nights extended to Willets Point-Mets in Queens and all trains to Willets Point

Late nights does not stop at Fulton St Transit Center, follows Old Fulton St Tunnel and Dykers Heights Line to Bay Pkwy in Brooklyn

Z Train – Nassau St/Jamaica Express

Express in Brooklyn and Queens, local in Manhattan

Runs from Francis Lewis Blvd-Rosedale to Coney Island-Stillwell Ave, all times except late nights

Late nights, no service

---

K Train – Tenth Avenue Local

Local in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens

Runs from 12th Ave-College Point to Oakland Gardens-Bell Blvd, all times except late nights

Late nights runs shuttle between Oakland Gardens-Bell Blvd and 8th Ave-14th St

Express service between Oakland Gardens-Bell Blvd and Manhattan Ave operates rush hours only in the peak direction

L Train – Tenth Avenue Express

Express in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn

Runs from 14th Ave-Whitestone to Bay Pkwy, with some trains terminating at Rockaway Pkwy, all times except late nights

Late nights all trains to Bay Pkwy

O Train – Tenth Avenue Local

Local in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn

Runs from Avenue U-Kings Plaza to Sutphin Blvd-Archer Ave, with some trains terminating at Main St-Flushing, all times except late nights

Late nights runs to 12th Ave-College Point north of Willets Point-Mets instead; no cross-Queens service on O late nights

Thanks! Any suggestions?

Seems like a really detailed map. I have always wondered about the possibility of extending the (A) or Rock Park (S) along Beach Channel Drive to Riis Park and Beach 169th St and building a second subway bridge crossing of Jamaica Bay, close to the Marine Parkway bridge, which will then continue along Flatbush Avenue and end near the Brooklyn College (2)(5) stop. This would replace the existing Q22 and Q35 lines, which often takes almost an hour to take to the Brooklyn College station from the Beach 70s in the Rockaways, with trains that will make the journey in about 20 minutes. The area around Flatbush Avenue from Ave H downwards is rife for development but hampered by a lack of public transit, with places like the Kings Plaza, Aviator Sports Complex and the municipal golf courses on Flatbush and in Riis Park hard to reach by bus or train.

Of course, this is all wishful thinking, and the NIMBYs in Belle Harbor, Neponsit and Breezy Point in the Rockaways would never let it happen. Original plans for subway expansion did include extending the Rockaway Line along Newport Avenue to B 149th St, but it never happened.

P.S.: I suppose you could also connect the extended Rockaway line to the O or V lines in your map, and solve the problem of non-compatibility between the IRT and IND lines. Thus, the O/V can be extended to the Rockaways, providing service to the western Rockaways.

Here's another update, this time with the Rockaway Park connection on the (V) and some redesigning in NE Queens.

I won't extend the (R) to Sea Gate; it is a local line and thus would have no ridership to speak of, and there is plenty of service in the area between Bay Ridge and Sea Gate. (Ditto for the (B); one route to Sea Gate is enough.)

I've been looking into Queens-Bronx lines but have come up with nothing satisfying. The main problem is that there isn't much of anywhere in the Bronx that is a destination other than for people returning home. I considered sending the K across to Soundview Point but couldn't find a good home for it in the Bronx.

Edit: I also fiddled around with the end of the Nostrand Ave Line.

nycsubway.png

Also, the last few summaries (will revise others soon-ish).

M Train – Second Avenue Local

Local in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens

Runs from Miles Ave-Throgs Neck to Bell Blvd, all times

T Train – Second Avenue Express

Express in Manhattan and Brooklyn, local in the Bronx

Runs from Gun Hill Rd to 36th St-Sea Gate, all times

U Train – Second Avenue Local

Local in the Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn

Runs from Co-op City-Bartow Ave to Canarsie-Rockaway Pkwy, with some trains terminating at Bay Pkwy, all times except late nights

Late nights runs shuttle between Co-op City-Bartow Ave and Hunts Point Ave

Y Train – Second Avenue Local

Express in Brooklyn, Local in Queens and Manhattan

Runs from 234th St-Cambria Heights to Mott Ave-Far Rockaway, all times

---

N Train – Broadway Express

Express in Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn

Runs from Bayside-Bell Blvd to Coney Island-Stillwell Ave, all times

Late nights local in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn

P Train – Broadway Express

Express in Manhattan and Brooklyn, local in the Bronx and Staten Island

Runs from 233rd St-Edenwald to Harbor Rd-Mariners Park, all times

Q Train – Broadway Express

Express in Manhattan south of 116th St, local in Brooklyn and Manhattan north of 116th St

Runs from Broadway-125th St to Coney Island-Stillwell Ave, all times except late nights

Late nights, no service

R Train – Broadway Local

Local in Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn

Runs from Sutphin Blvd-Archer Ave to 95th St-Bay Ridge, all times except late nights

Late nights runs shuttle between 36th St and 95th St-Bay Ridge

W Train – Broadway Local

Express in Brooklyn and, local in Manhattan and Queens

Runs from Main St-Northern Blvd to Springfield Gardens, all times except late nights

Late nights runs on the Queens Blvd line local to Sutphin Blvd-Archer Ave east of Lexington Ave

Still considering something like that, but there's no route in the Bronx that feels "right".

Also, the 42nd St (S) strikes me as completely redundant with the (7); any reason why it shouldn't be closed, or at least run rush hours only or something?

In addition, I am going to restore the (3) at 148th-Lenox in the next update. Elsewhere, service is pretty thorough, although NE Queens still bothers me, and I am looking for suggestions for alternate routes for the K and (L). (Right now, the K goes up College Point Blvd to 15th Ave, then on 15th and 14th to Whitestone while the (L) goes Union St-Willets Point Blvd-Francis Lewis Blvd-26th Ave.)

Still considering something like that, but there's no route in the Bronx that feels "right".

Also, the 42nd St (S) strikes me as completely redundant with the (7); any reason why it shouldn't be closed, or at least run rush hours only or something?

In addition, I am going to restore the (3) at 148th-Lenox in the next update. Elsewhere, service is pretty thorough, although NE Queens still bothers me, and I am looking for suggestions for alternate routes for the K and (L). (Right now, the K goes up College Point Blvd to 15th Ave, then on 15th and 14th to Whitestone while the (L) goes Union St-Willets Point Blvd-Francis Lewis Blvd-26th Ave.)

Although the (S) seems redundant, it, amazingly, gets its fair share of ridership.

I actually used Photoshop for most of the editing as it has some useful features lacking in Paint, but I'm not exactly an expert image editor. I've been working on cleaning up some parts of the map recently, including the Bronx, which is the messiest (I did it first).

Also, full disclosure: The map is based on the one from Urbanrail.net.

Archived