Which line do you think represents the NYC Subway?

TrainFanatic

I think the (Q) line represents the NYC Subway.

Why?

• runs on all 4 types of subway tracks (subway, open-cut, embankment and elevated)
  • terminates at the well known and lively Coney Island
  • runs through popular neighborhoods (Brighton Beach, Sheepshed Bay, Coney Island, Astoria etc)
  • fast express service in Manhattan
  • very scenic
  • frequent service

I'd have to say the (F). It's the second longest line in the TA and operates very frequently (four-six minutes; 14-15 TPH). Its elevated segment is higher than any other in the system (91 feet). It also allows a good view of the yard between Neptune Avenue and Avenue X.

Guest Charles

How could you not argue against the (A) train? Duke Ellington made it famous worldwide...

Can't beat the scenery in the Rockaways

Longest subway line

Nice express runs

Covers a wide variety of neighborhoods

And a whole lot of other reasons too.

I think the (N) line represents the NYC Subway.

Why?

• elevated portion in Queens
  • fast underground express service in Manhattan and Brooklyn
  • it's open-cut portion in lower Brooklyn
  • terminates at the well know Coney Island

CORRECTION!!! The (N) runs express in brooklyn ONLY now due the (W) train elimination.

I think the (N) line represents the NYC Subway.

Why?

• elevated portion in Queens
  • fast underground express service in Manhattan and Brooklyn
  • it's open-cut portion in lower Brooklyn
  • terminates at the well know Coney Island

Isn't the (N) Broadway Local now?

How could you not argue against the (A) train? Duke Ellington made it famous worldwide...

Longest subway line

Nice express runs

Agreed. Take the (A) Train has forever immortalized the line.

Longest subway line

Nice express runs

Sure the (A) is a great line but the (N) has a little bit of everything. Ex; open cut, elevated, underground, etc. Just my opinion. B)

Sure the (A) is a great line but the (N) has a little bit of everything. Ex; open cut, elevated, underground, etc. Just my opinion. B)

(A) Line:

Elevated: Grant Avenue - Lefferts Blvd.

Underground: Everything in Manhattan and Brooklyn

River Tube: Cranberry Street

Embankment (I guess): Howard Beach - Broad Channel, IIRC Broad Channel - Far Rock

Only thing it's missing is open cut. However, the (A) also has the song, the longest one-seat ride, and the longest distance between stations.

I'm going to disagree with all of you and say the (Q) train.

- Runs all all 4 types of subway tracks (subway, open-cut, embankment, elevated)

- Runs express in one of the boroughs (Not an all-local train)

- Passes through Coney Island

- Passes through interesting neighborhoods (Brighton Beach, Coney Island, Astoria (as a result of eliminating the (W))

- Basically, the (N) with a twist.

I'm going to disagree with all of you and say the (Q) train.

- Runs all all 4 types of subway tracks (subway, open-cut, embankment, elevated)

- Runs express in one of the boroughs (Not an all-local train)

- Passes through Coney Island

- Passes through interesting neighborhoods (Brighton Beach, Coney Island, Astoria (as a result of eliminating the (W))

- Basically, the (N) with a twist.

Agreed! I'm definitly going with my (Q) now! I almost forgot that it was exteded to Queens.

C'mon, where's the love for the (M), people? It's arguably NYC's newest line; it passes through a wide variety of neighborhoods - sleepy Middle Village, up and coming Ridgewood, cutting edge Bushwick, past hip Williamsburg, the Lower East Side, Greenwich Village, Midtown Manhattan, and the many wonderful semi-foreign lands along the QB; it begins and ends in Queens, which is the true beating heart of the City; it runs along the Avenue of the AMERICAS, yo; it's route is the strangest in the city; it offers wonderful views from the Willie B; it's been the incessant talk of foamers for months, if not years; and most importantly, it's my damn train.

Not convinced? Then the (A).

I think the (V) and (W) lines are a great representation of the current NYC Subway system. Those lines are no longer running and the entire subway system could have that fate if the MTA budget gets a lot worse.

I agree. Two good and USEFUL lines that had to fall to the axe because of the MTA's screw-ups. ;)

Archived