The Battery Run Discussion

When I rode the R44 (C) train for the first time few weeks ago, it made a battery run from Canal Street to 145th Street and making express stops. Many people was confused about being on the right train. Many people thought the (C) train was an uptown (A) train to 207th Street. This happen during the PM rush.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I rode the R44 (C) train for the first time few weeks ago, it made a battery run from Canal Street to 145th Street and making express stops. Many people was confused about being on the right train. Many people thought the (C) train was an uptown (A) train to 207th Street. This happen during the PM rush.

That is not considered a battery run. It's simply a "C train making express stops".

There was this one odd battery run I took on the (7) awhile back when express service was out between 61St and Queensboro Plaza. The (7) ran on the local track, and it stopped at 33St. Yet somehow after that the (7) started skipping all the stops to 61St, many people were confused, as the C/R didn't really explained much until we got to 61St but after that it skipped 69St and stopped at 74St and after that it made all stops. I just wondered why they would just stop at 33St, I do understand many people do get off there though.

There was this one odd battery run I took on the (7) awhile back when express service was out between 61St and Queensboro Plaza. The (7) ran on the local track, and it stopped at 33St. Yet somehow after that the (7) started skipping all the stops to 61St, many people were confused, as the C/R didn't really explained much until we got to 61St but after that it skipped 69St and stopped at 74St and after that it made all stops. I just wondered why they would just stop at 33St, I do understand many people do get off there though.

Kinda of a situation I almost faced. The (7) train was going to become the <7> from Roosevelt-74st all the way to 33st-Rawson St. No explanation whatsover. He just said " The next stop is 33st-Rawson St. Plus. I think this was during rush hour or regular day. No G.O whatsover. Happened back in '09

Kinda of a situation I almost faced. The (7) train was going to become the <7> from Roosevelt-74st all the way to 33st-Rawson St. No explanation whatsover. He just said " The next stop is 33st-Rawson St. Plus. I think this was during rush hour or regular day. No G.O whatsover. Happened back in '09

Train stops at 33rd because they got to make sure the switch is lined for the (7) train before it goes to QBP (since <7> express trains are also running during those hours).

Also the whole point of a battery run is that it's not a GO. It's done because a train is falling behind schedule and the decision is made to let the train catch up to its leader for better distribution of passengers among the trains running the route.

I don't remember the order

I think when I was in Normade Court Apt.

Bronx-bound (6) boarded at 51st St, stop at 59th, 86th, 96th St (former home), 125th St.

Bronx-bound (6) I boarded at 59th St went express to 86th St.

During IRT Race:

Wakefield-bound (2) went express from Gun Hill Rd to 241st St.

New Lots Av-bound (3) boarded at Utica Av went to Sutter Av, Junuis St, Van Siclen Av, then New Lots Av.

South Ferry-bound (1) boarded at 242nd St went express from 168th to 137th Sts.

I think I also remember Coney Island-bound (D) via (:P went battery run after New Utrecht Av I think.

After I move to Queens

There were couple.

Manhattan-bound (7) at Junction Blvd

Stopping at 74th, 61st, 46th, 33rd Sts.

All stop to 74th, 61st, same.

Stalled train at 46th St has sent express from 74th, 61st St, Queensboro.

I also have been on SF-bound (1) which went express from Dyckman to 168th.

On Forest Hill-bound (R) on weekend (b4 service cut):

After Queens Plaza, it stopped at 36th, then Steinway, Roosevelt Av I think.

• 3 months later...

Since it is 4 months, I got couple of train I was in during the battery run and I would like to list and share them for you guys if this is okay:

Coney Island bound (D) between 36th St and Stillwell Avenue:

Trains skip every station except 9 and Stillwell Avenue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manhattan bound (N) between Coney Island and 36th Street:

Trains stop at 86 St, Kings Highway, 18 Av, 59 St, and 36 St on the local track. Due to G.O., all (N) trains run on local track. This happened on a weekend Saturday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coney Island bound (N) between 59 St and Coney Island:

Trains stop at 8 Av, New Utrecht, Kings Highway, 86 St, and Coney Island.

Another Manhattan bound (N) between Coney Island and New Utrecht Av:

Trains stop at 86 St, Kings Highway, and New Utrecht Av. Train resumed back to normal after New Utrecht Av.

Bay Ridge bound (R) train between 59 St and Bay Ridge Av:

Trains Stop at 86 and 95 Sts

Earlier this month it took 15 minutes for a (C) train to pull into 59th Street northbound (I just missed one). It pulled in and stopped at 72nd Street. But I heard chatter going on the radio and I knew what was going to happen...which DID happen: the (C) ran express from 72nd Street to 125th. The train that was once packed to the doors emptied out like nothing, and we barreled up to 125th. It was awesome!

Here's one from last week while going home from work...

after my (L) train left 1 Av I thought it was gonna be a good ride home through the tubes in ATO mode. Boy was I wrong...somehow the train went in BIE and we sat there in the tunnel for about 20 mins. After the train made it to Bedford (eventually), it sat there for another 10 mins due to a "police investigation". Then when we got to Lorimer St, the C/R said the following stops would be Myrtle-Wyckoff, Bway Junction, E. 105 St then Rockaway Pkwy. I got off at Myrtle (my stop) but I ended up missing the 3:30 am B26 bus anyway. Since I didn't wanna wait another hour for the next bus, I took a cab home

:confused: Is a "battery run" when a local ((C)(G)(L) etc) or an express ((A)(E)(Q) etc) is allowed to skip certain stations to make up time caused by congestion, mechanical or track failure?

Battery Run - For a long gap in service (3 head ways or longer), it is usually necessary to give a "battery run" to a series of intervals. The number of stations skipped decreases with each interval. NOT the same as a "skip".

The only way you would know that your train is doing a battery run is if your listening to the radio.

Thank you, INDman.

Battery Run - For a long gap in service (3 head ways or longer), it is usually necessary to give a "battery run" to a series of intervals. The number of stations skipped decreases with each interval. NOT the same as a "skip".

The only way you would know that your train is doing a battery run is if your listening to the radio.

I should probably get one. Last night, I missed an (N) and waited about 15~20 minutes for the next one, which skipped Bay Parkway—the station I was on. I had the little nagging feeling to run over to Kinds Highway after I missed the first train, but didn't.

I used to get battery runs on the (2) all the time. Usually, they'd skip Bronx Park East, stop at Pelham Parkway, skip Allerton and Burke Avenues then stop at Gun Hill Road, East 233rd and East 241st Street. Later on, they stopped at Bronx Park East and Pelham, then skip Allerton and Burke. But the worst was this one time when my (2) stopped at Bronx Park East, Pelham and Allerton, then skipped Burke (my stop) then went express between Gun Hill Road and East 241st. I rode to Gun Hill Road so I could ride back to Burke on a downtown (2).

Archived