The Battery Run Discussion

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday Night: 3:55 J train from Fulton Street. Express through Marcy. Local up to Broadway Junction, and Alabama and then express making stops at Crescent St. Woodhaven, 104th,111th,121st,Sutphin & Jamaica.

Cut that half hour ride from the Junction to almost 15 minutes and in a speedy R42 too!

Also, a few times in the morning I catch a (2) or (5) that runs express from the Junction, some stop at Newkirk, Church, and then Franklin. A few go straight to Church and then Franklin and ONCE, I caught one straight to Franklin.

• 10 months later...
I don't mean to bump an old thread I was just thinking this is the best place to put it.I was just wondering which NTT,s have programs for Battery runs?

Well since you can blank out any stops you want on a NTT, I'm assuming all of them

Guest MTA Bus

The (J) express from Alabama Av to Crescent St.

The (L) express from Atlantic Av to East 105th Street.

The (N) express from Astoria Blvd to Queensboro Plaza.

A R40 (W) train express from Astoria Blvd to Queensboro Plaza.

The ones in red are not battery runs...

Again, battery runs originate from terminals...

The ones in red are not battery runs...

The last two aren't battery runs either, the terminal is Ditmars not Astoria Blvd lol. People here are common battery runs:

(6) trains going into service at Parkchester that are late (these are common occurrences, whether by put-in or relay). "Next stop on this (6) is Hunts Point". Or "Ok, next stop is Morrison then Hunts Point". Or "next stop is Hunts Point followed by 149th."

Not as common but has happened:

<6> at Pelham Bay on the stand that left late... "219 crew, make your next stop Westchester Sq then Parkchester".

(5) at Dyre on the stand is late "205 crew make your next stop Gun Hill than E 180th".

(6) going around the loop at BBGE... "Train in the loop, make your first stop Bleecker St" (yes in this case they skipped BBGE on the uptown side too).

People, please notice the common thread among these...they started AT the terminal itself, not a skip started near the terminal. All these trains call letters remained the same.

I remember taking an Astoria train a few years ago. It stopped at Astoria Blvd and ran express to Queensbor on the local track. However, I recall this one very clearly because the C/O announced it would stop at Broadway, which the train did.

The last two aren't battery runs either, the terminal is Ditmars not Astoria Blvd lol. People here are common battery runs:

(6) trains going into service at Parkchester that are late (these are common occurrences, whether by put-in or relay). "Next stop on this (6) is Hunts Point". Or "Ok, next stop is Morrison then Hunts Point". Or "next stop is Hunts Point followed by 149th."

<6> at Pelham Bay on the stand that left late... "219 crew, make your next stop Westchester Sq then Parkchester".

(5) at Dyre on the stand is late "205 crew make your next stop Gun Hill than E 180th".

(6) going around the loop at BBGE... "Train in the loop, make your first stop Bleecker St" (yes in this case they skipped BBGE on the uptown side too).

People, please notice the common thread among these...they started AT the terminal itself, not a skip started near the terminal. All these trains call letters remained the same.

Oops, read that wrong lol

I have seen a (6) starting at 177 use the middle track (to Hunts Point) before 1pm after S/B express service ends, before N/B express service begins.

Do you know how often this skip happens:

A (6) ended up late (the first (6) afternoon local out of Pelham Bay Park) and it switched to the express track before 177 and became a <6> all the way to 3 Av.

I have seen a (6) starting at 177 use the middle track (to Hunts Point) before 1pm after S/B express service ends, before N/B express service begins.

I remember once after a delay (a 12-9 at 125th) at 430 in the afternoon my train - I was a c/r back then - came in on M track and we went express down to 3Av. They decided to not begin express service going uptown until there was sufficient service going the other way. That day around 515 express trains started going uptown again.

Do you know how often this skip happens:

A (6) ended up late (the first (6) afternoon local out of Pelham Bay Park) and it switched to the express track before 177 and became a <6> all the way to 3 Av.

Back in the day with local control, if a Tw/O wasn't paying attention he would route that first local to the express and it would take it and sneak down the middle lol. That first local leaves Pelham 4 minutes after the last express (as supposed to the normal 8) but ends up in Manhattan 8 minutes behind (with its leader going express and a Parkchester train in between). From time to time, that Parkchester train gets a skip as well if its late coming out the relay, backing up that first local (which would be at Castle Hill at that moment). Things are different now with ATS.

Back in the day with local control, if a Tw/O wasn't paying attention he would route that first local to the express and it would take it and sneak down the middle lol. That first local leaves Pelham 4 minutes after the last express (as supposed to the normal 8) but ends up in Manhattan 8 minutes behind (with its leader going express and a Parkchester train in between). From time to time, that Parkchester train gets a skip as well if its late coming out the relay, backing up that first local (which would be at Castle Hill at that moment). Things are different now with ATS.

They should just make that local an express and start it 4 minutes later, there is still time for a few more S/B trains.

MTA now has added time to many midday S/B runs (like the N/B runs with a 4 minute hold at 177). <6> and (6) trains now have to wait at 3 Av, and/or 125 thanks to the extra 5 minutes of running time. MTA is really padding for lateness here (in both directions).

I don't know if this counts as a battery run but one time i was on the (5) and we left dyre local and approaching 180th st we had to wait on the flyover because the local line was full of locals so dispatch gave the lineup for the express and we went express from 180th to 149th-GC we didn't stop at 3rd ave.

I have a whole bunch of them!!

-Mnhtn bound (R) went express after Queens Plaza, then went via 63 Street.

-Mnhtn bound (7) train Junction Blvd - 74 St - 61 St - 33 St - Queensboro Plz

-71 Av bound R160 (R) via QBL exp (first went on exp tracks between Queens Plaza -to- Roosevelt Av, then went on local tracks making no stops from Roosevelt Avenue -to- 71 Av. I don't understand why he didn't stop at Woodhaven Blvd since he switched to the local track).

-168 St bound (C) via CPW exp 59 St -to- 145 St, then switched back to local after 125 St

-Jamaica Center bound R42 (J) (2010) Bway Jct - Crescent St - Woodhaven Blvd - 111 St then made all stops to Jamaica Center

-Mnhtn bound R160A-1 (J) Crescent St - Bway Jct - Myrtle Av (went via local track)

-I'll never forget this one: Metropolitan Av bound (M) Marcy Av - Myrtle Av (exp track), then Myrtle Av - Myrtle / Wyckoff Avs - Forest Av then made all stops to Metropolitan Av.

-Flatbush Av bound (2) (or was it a (5)?) Franklin Av - Church Av - Flatbush Av.

-Not really considered a battery run, but an (R) went via Manhattan bridge from Canal St -to- Atlantic Av not making a stop at DeKalb Av.

I once got a Battery run on PATH. The train was 25 minutes late and made the following stops: 33 St - 14 St - Christopher St - Hoboken, then went back Hoboken - Christopher St - 33 St. It really hauled ass! Too bad PATH doesn't allow photos, I would have gotten a whole video of it to prove it.

I have a whole bunch of them!!

-Mnhtn bound (R) went express after Queens Plaza, then went via 63 Street.

-Mnhtn bound (7) train Junction Blvd - 74 St - 61 St - 33 St - Queensboro Plz

-71 Av bound R160 (R) via QBL exp (first went on exp tracks between Queens Plaza -to- Roosevelt Av, then went on local tracks making no stops from Roosevelt Avenue -to- 71 Av. I don't understand why he didn't stop at Woodhaven Blvd since he switched to the local track).

-168 St bound (C) via CPW exp 59 St -to- 145 St, then switched back to local after 125 St

-Jamaica Center bound R42 (J) (2010) Bway Jct - Crescent St - Woodhaven Blvd - 111 St then made all stops to Jamaica Center

-Mnhtn bound R160A-1 (J) Crescent St - Bway Jct - Myrtle Av (went via local track)

-I'll never forget this one: Metropolitan Av bound (M) Marcy Av - Myrtle Av (exp track), then Myrtle Av - Myrtle / Wyckoff Avs - Forest Av then made all stops to Metropolitan Av.

-Flatbush Av bound (2) (or was it a (5)?) Franklin Av - Church Av - Flatbush Av.

-Not really considered a battery run, but an (R) went via Manhattan bridge from Canal St -to- Atlantic Av not making a stop at DeKalb Av.

I once got a Battery run on PATH. The train was 25 minutes late and made the following stops: 33 St - 14 St - Christopher St - Hoboken, then went back Hoboken - Christopher St - 33 St. It really hauled ass! Too bad PATH doesn't allow photos, I would have gotten a whole video of it to prove it.

Those are not battery runs. Those are runs.

A battery run is when a train skips a few stops if it's running late/behind schedule.

Ex: A (6) Pelham Bay train arrives at Parkchester, the next stop is going to be Westchester Sq, skipping Castle Hill Av and Zerega Av, and it will sometimes skip Middletown Rd and Buhre Av. There is another (6) train behind this one that will stop at the skipped stops.

A battery run is when a train skips a few stops if it's running late/behind schedule.

Ex: A (6) Pelham Bay train arrives at Parkchester, the next stop is going to be Westchester Sq, skipping Castle Hill Av and Zerega Av, and it will sometimes skip Middletown Rd and Buhre Av. There is another (6) train behind this one that will stop at the skipped stops.

:cry: That is a run (or skip). A battery run originates from terminals, only.

Archived