The Battery Run Discussion

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A typical battery run:

A (6) at Pelham Bay (PM Rush) gets the lineup, lights, but has a door problem on the stand at the terminal, there's no train in the other pocket. A put-in is outside the station, along with a road train returning home. While the C/R was investigating, the lineup was taken away and the road train was allowed into the terminal. While the c/r cuts out the door, you (the T/O) hear this on the radio, "train on the stand at Pelham, make your next stop Westchester Sq then Castle Hill". T/O makes appropriate announcements. The Pelham to Westchester Sq part is the battery run. The Westchester Sq to Castle Hill part is a run. Once said train got to Parkchester, Parkchester T/D goes on the station PA and announces, "next stop on this train is Hunts Point". That is another run. It is not a battery run as while Parkchester is a terminal, it wasn't a terminal for THIS particular interval and train.

I one time hopped on a (3) at Kingston Ave, took it to Franklin Ave to transfer to a (4) (this was years ago by the way so no (5) service during the day) I guess cause of the snowfall we had that day a (4) came on the local track & I said to myself "ok, what the heck" & the (4) ran non-stop till Atlantic Ave.

Another awesome battery run I had, when I got onto a (5) at Sterling St we proceeded until President St then sat there for a good 7 minutes or so. then we left President St & after the curve a (4) was on the express track & I froze for a second and thought "what the hell is going on?" we ended up running express on the local track until Atlantic Ave.

The worst for me, is when there is a delay on the Eastern Pkwy line & a (2) & (5) approach Franklin Ave Simultaneously & the train I'm on runs till President St & then it skips Sterling & Winthrop St. Sterling & Winthrop Have much Higher ridership than President St, if anything, it should either, stop at one of those two stations (Sterling or Winthrop & skip President) or skip all 3.

Archived