any station agents here? come on in

harlemsfinest

i would like to know what to expect as i start as a new hire. i know i'll probably get the graveyard shift, and weekends, and it might be a little trying in my first year. i know that any monies that come up short will be taken out of my paycheck. what happens if i know i'm running out of singles or 1, 5, or 10, 20 dollar bills? i'm thinking i'll let the station manager know, and they'll be able to help me. but i'm not completely sure. what are more of the ins and outs of the job? how's the OT as a rookie? how much is nighttime differential? how much is weekend pay? whom can/cant i let into my booth? these are just some questions that come to mind right now. anything of assistance will help. these are just raindom questions that are in my head as of right now.

i would like to know what to expect as i start as a new hire. i know i'll probably get the graveyard shift, and weekends, and it might be a little trying in my first year. i know that any monies that come up short will be taken out of my paycheck. what happens if i know i'm running out of singles or 1, 5, or 10, 20 dollar bills? i'm thinking i'll let the station manager know, and they'll be able to help me. but i'm not completely sure. what are more of the ins and outs of the job? how's the OT as a rookie? how much is nighttime differential? how much is weekend pay? whom can/cant i let into my booth? these are just some questions that come to mind right now. anything of assistance will help. these are just raindom questions that are in my head as of right now.

Let me try to answer your questions. I am currently station agent. Been on the job for over two years. As a new hire you'll be in training for about a month. The traning takes at transit school in Coney Island or 207st yard. As a new hire you will be extra either am, pm,nites. Everyday you will have to call for your assingment during your tour. When u start picking it will horrible, senority does not move in this department. Do not expect anything on the am tour for at least 2.5 yrs. You'll be working weekends for a long time. There is people with 15-18yrs that cannot get weekends off. As far as money: DON'T PLAY WITH TRANSIT MONEY. The booths have enough change usually, you will learn to manage the money. I have yet to run out of change. O/T all together is tight. As a rookie it will be hard to get, but possible. Night diff(also weekend pay) is about a dollar and change. Night diff starts from 6pm to 6am(not to sure). All tours on the weekend is included in night diff. To enter the booth you swipe your pass on the booth reader to gain entry. I will not reveal too much about that because of safety reasons.

As far as the job goes it is pretty simple. Nothing to selling a metrocard. Handling money is a problem to some people if u let it overwhelm(sp) you. I work nights so the job is pretty easy for me. Also a lot of station agents work outside the booths. The hardest part of this job is lack of communication between rto and stations. Most times u are never notified about train disruptions and delays. And customers come to booth expecting answers.

From the station agent title you can move to many other titles within transit. Which i am planning on doing.I hope this helps. If you have any other questions do ask.

Let me try to answer your questions. I am currently station agent. Been on the job for over two years. As a new hire you'll be in training for about a month. The traning takes at transit school in Coney Island or 207st yard. As a new hire you will be extra either am, pm,nites. Everyday you will have to call for your assingment during your tour. When u start picking it will horrible, senority does not move in this department. Do not expect anything on the am tour for at least 2.5 yrs. You'll be working weekends for a long time. There is people with 15-18yrs that cannot get weekends off. As far as money: DON'T PLAY WITH TRANSIT MONEY. The booths have enough change usually, you will learn to manage the money. I have yet to run out of change. O/T all together is tight. As a rookie it will be hard to get, but possible. Night diff(also weekend pay) is about a dollar and change. Night diff starts from 6pm to 6am(not to sure). All tours on the weekend is included in night diff. To enter the booth you swipe your pass on the booth reader to gain entry. I will not reveal too much about that because of safety reasons.

As far as the job goes it is pretty simple. Nothing to selling a metrocard. Handling money is a problem to some people if u let it overwhelm(sp) you. I work nights so the job is pretty easy for me. Also a lot of station agents work outside the booths. The hardest part of this job is lack of communication between rto and stations. Most times u are never notified about train disruptions and delays. And customers come to booth expecting answers.

From the station agent title you can move to many other titles within transit. Which i am planning on doing.I hope this helps. If you have any other questions do ask.

very informative. you covered a lot of bases. i'll ask more as they come. thanx

Archived