Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Underrated Subway Lines

R32 3348

Since each subway line passes through a wide variety of places, they all have something different to offer. So naturally, railfans are attracted to certain lines over others. Quite a few lines, such as the (7), are frequently railfanned, while others see hardly any coverage.

IMO, the most underrated subway line in the system is the (3) train, by a longshot. When most people think of the West Side IRT Express, the (2) comes to mind, along with the R142s. The (2) and (3) cover much of the same route, but the (3) is hardly ever credited due to the sections of the line where it is the only service. There are very few people who take shots at either the Harlem or Livonia sections of the line, even though the Livonia Line has several photo ops (I was going to go there for sunset photos back in January, but typical (MTA) delays made me miss the sunset). Meanwhile, the (3) is the only line to use R62s (overshadowed by the R62As running on the (1) and (7) lines), plus it practically dashes down the West Side. It also features unique stations such as 145th and 148th St.

What do you think is the most underrated subway line?

I'll vote for the (3). I hardly see anything from the portion between 135 and 148. On top of that, only once in a blue moon does someone post stuff from the southern end of the line.

Since each subway line passes through a wide variety of places, they all have something different to offer. So naturally, railfans are attracted to certain lines over others. Quite a few lines, such as the (7), are frequently railfanned, while others see hardly any coverage.

IMO, the most underrated subway line in the system is the (3) train, by a longshot. When most people think of the West Side IRT Express, the (2) comes to mind, along with the R142s. The (2) and (3) cover much of the same route, but the (3) is hardly ever credited due to the sections of the line where it is the only service. There are very few people who take shots at either the Harlem or Livonia sections of the line, even though the Livonia Line has several photo ops (I was going to go there for sunset photos back in January, but typical (MTA) delays made me miss the sunset). Meanwhile, the (3) is the only line to use R62s (overshadowed by the R62As running on the (1) and (7) lines), plus it practically dashes down the West Side. It also features unique stations such as 145th and 148th St.

What do you think is the most underrated subway line?

The G is the stepchild line today. Whatever train you bring into CSQ is the same one you leave with. If you arrive late, the train can't go in and out because there is no drop back crew. Plus the crew has less than 10 minutes, even in the rush, to change ends and get out on time even if they arrived on time. During the day when there's flagging out there and you WILL arrive late, if you have 7 minutes, you're lucky. You're also lucky if you arrive at leaving time. All this effective for the new pick that started last weekend.

It's a paper railroad with sheets done in pencil.

I'd say the (G). It does a great job moving people between Brooklyn and Queens avoiding Manhattan but with all the hype going on in Manhattan the (G) is treated like a stepchild...poor (G) B)

. There are very few people who take shots at either the Harlem or Livonia sections of the line,

That's because both areas are very bad neighborhoods and you run the risk of getting mugged, particularly on the Livonia section.

I'm not surprised to see my home line on the list. Some people think that the risk of being mugged out on Livonia is triple the risk of it happening anywhere else even though many, many years of riding and railfanning a line will tell you different. No matter how much you try and convince people that things can happen anywhere (even Times Square), they will stick to what they hear or believe about the neighborhood, so there's no use in trying to convince people of things they just won't listen to.

Actually, I think that the (5) is very underfanned. Dyre doesn't seem to be as popular as the other ROWs in the subway. That could be because of its distance away from the city. But the again, Sea Beach, Brighton and 9th Av on West End are pretty far if you aren't from Brooklyn. Either way, that's my pick.

The Rockaways. For a few reasons. 1. The ROW was once owned by the Pennsy subsidiary LIRR and 2. The isolation from the rest of the subway. It's probkably the most isolated line besides the SIR. (The SIR was actually owned by the B and O before 1960.)

The Rockaways. For a few reasons. 1. The ROW was once owned by the Pennsy subsidiary LIRR and 2. The isolation from the rest of the subway. It's probkably the most isolated line besides the SIR. (The SIR was actually owned by the B and O before 1960.)

I think some people choose to railfan their only on trips with others simply because of Howards Beach bad reputation.

I tend to slightly disagree because when the Slants ran on the (A), especially to the Rockaways, it got a LOT of attention. Now it's a different story unless someone catches a 32 heading to the Rockaways, and it's only one set.

I think some people choose to railfan their only on trips with others simply because of Howards Beach bad reputation.

I think it's more Far Rockaway than Howard Beach. But unless you are headed to the more popular Rockaway Park area (which next to no one fans), you are headed to the supposedly dangerous Far Rockaway end. Also, something else that discourages people from fanning in the Rockaways is that they are usually there during the midday, when headway between trains is 15-20 minutes (as the other half of trains goes to Lefferts). It can either be too hot or too cold to let trains pass by as you take pics, or to get off at every station to do so.

My vote is for the (3). It is my life-line on the IRT West Side Line when I need to get to school quickly in the morning. It has also proven to be faster and more reliable than the (2), at least in my experience. It also uses the R-62s, which are some kick-ass cars when compared to the R-62As. And yet, for some reason or another, it is always overlooked by most people.:( It certainly deserves more attention.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

The Myrtle Av Line...it gets overshadowed by the (J)(Z) and the fact that its all R160's. There's a good photo op at Myrtle-Wyckoff as the Manhattan-bound trains make that turn...also at Seneca Av & Fresh Pond Rd

I've got a few pics of the (3) in Brooklyn. Not as much since I've been out there mainly twice. As for the northern portion, the line is 'covered' - so if it were above ground or nothing above the station, I guess it would get more coverage. I've taken a few pics at 148th as well. [Pics can be seen on NYC subway].

I've taken quite a bit of Rock Park pics, but not as much Far Rock shots - even though I finally took a few of the R44 (A) last month.

Archived