Boned! Part Dux: R-40s being stripped.

N-Trizzy2609

I thought my insider was joking till I saw the pics on Nycsubway.org of an R-40 being stripped for reefing. Looks like it's curtains for the R-40s too!!! Dun dun dun!!! Seriously, I had no idea that R-40s were getting scrapped and reefed too. I thought it was just the CI R-42s and a few MK R-42s not to mentions the GE R-32s. Guess I was wrong. Sad too see them too as, I had my first kiss on a R-40 (W) train and was flinged from my seat when a R-40 (L) Train smacked into a dog at 35 M.P.H.!!

The R40s Shouldnt be scrapped so quick. THe r38s and r42s go first, R40s go LAST

Why should the R40 go last?have you seen the condtion their in.as much as i like their RFW,they had their

time in the sun and it's time for them to go.they did their service.

Why should the R40 go last?have you seen the condtion their in.as much as i like their RFW,they had their

time in the sun and it's time for them to go.they did their service.

He just saying from a railfan point of view....ask any other raillfans they might want the older cars to stay.

He just saying from a railfan point of view....ask any other raillfans they might want the older cars to stay.

Yep thats right. My point of view is to wish that the R40s get scrapped last, the really bad conditioned ones, those can go, but others can either stay for work service, or extra service on some lines. Rumors have it that they might go on the (A) (thats death for those cars) But only time will tell.

So can the MTA give me an R40? It seems like it would be cheaper to flatbed it down here instead of reef it. But yeah, it sucks to see them go, just you wait, it'll be all R160s soon enough. Good bye slants, love ya...

You could go on MTAs website and send them an Email.Because i sent them an Email about putting a train in the museum and they replyed back.So try sending the MTA an Email about giving you an R40 and they will reply back but you never know...

You could go on MTAs website and send them an Email.Because i sent them an Email about putting a train in the museum and they replyed back.So try sending the MTA an Email about giving you an R40 and they will reply back but you never know...

Thats true, they will reply to you but trust me, majority of the time it won't work in your favor. I'm sure that they will save one car from each class though.

might?

MIGHT?

Of course they want them to stay...you can't make a post around here saying "R160S ROCK!" without being sarcastic, without everyone beating you down first...

might?

MIGHT?

Of course they want them to stay...you can't make a post around here saying "R160S ROCK!" without being sarcastic, without everyone beating you down first...

Some of them don't even like the slants...

Wasnt there a married pair at the NYC Transit museum? o.O

Yes 4912 and 4913 were at the transit museum while the arnies were running in service on the (V) line.But were taken out and they put the R1/9 and the R7A back in the museum.They cant put anymore cars in the transit museum there is no more room.

Yes 4912 and 4913 were at the transit museum while the arnies were running in service on the (V) line.But were taken out and they put the R1/9 and the R7A back in the museum.They cant put anymore cars in the transit museum there is no more room.

That set was 4192 and 4193 (4912-13 are CI R42's and either swimming or getting ready to - those two were being stripped in February). 4192-93 were just placeholders at NYCTM in December along with another arnine (R6 1300? That I don't remember...) while the nostalgia train was in service. I believe someone said on s_bch_t that 4192-3 may be added to the museum fleet and preserved, although not likely displayed regularly at NYCTM, which would be nice. However that set has got a lot of scratchitti that needs to be removed, among other things.

That set was 4192 and 4193 (4912-13 are CI R42's and either swimming or getting ready to - those two were being stripped in February). 4192-93 were just placeholders at NYCTM in December along with another arnine (R6 1300? That I don't remember...) while the nostalgia train was in service. I believe someone said on s_bch_t that 4192-3 may be added to the museum fleet and preserved, although not likely displayed regularly at NYCTM, which would be nice. However that set has got a lot of scratchitti that needs to be removed, among other things.

Oh thanks for the correction but i think that one of the preserved R40s should be restored to thier pre GOH look i think that would be cool.

Well, this is almost the exact projected time that the R40s would get scrapped and reef. Its only just a matter of time before they're all gone. Now, I would truly miss these cars, but they just have to go. Even after GOH they were really unique cars and they definately painted a picture for the NYC Subway. So RIP Slants......

Archived