New Amtrak DC to Richmond Service

reelbigfish

A second state-funded intercity passenger train will launch this month, providing Virginia residents with another transportation option between Richmond and Washington.

Operated by Amtrak and funded by the commonwealth, the train will start July 20, leaving Richmond at 7 a.m. and stopping at Ashland, Fredericksburg, Quantico, Woodbridge and Alexandria before arriving in Washington at 9:30 a.m., Amtrak officials said. The train will continue to Boston. The new southbound intercity train will leave Union Station at 3:55 p.m.

Link to full Article

Seems like a good idea to me. I actually could have used this a while back instead of having to drive from DC to Richmond in Friday afternoon traffic.

Nice. I guess they do the engine swap at union station.

They have been doing a lot of these extensions and changes over the past year, so far it looks like this trend will continue, especially with trains in the news again more than ever as a viable alternative to flying or driving.

- A

Link to full Article

Seems like a good idea to me. I actually could have used this a while back instead of having to drive from DC to Richmond in Friday afternoon traffic.

Thanks Fish for article. As someone who has done the DC-Fla. drive a few times to visit relatives in Tampa/ St Pete, most recently 7 years ago, Richmond is also getting busy. So at least those traveling between DC and Central Va. now has another option over taking the brutal and busy I-95.

I seem to remember some talk of VRE and MARC joining forces so the train run more like SEPTA wherein the trains don't just turn around at Union Station in DC, they continue through. This would allow for more service. If this did happen, one of the VRE lines should be electrified so the Penn Line of MARC can run through.

I seem to remember some talk of VRE and MARC joining forces so the train run more like SEPTA wherein the trains don't just turn around at Union Station in DC, they continue through. This would allow for more service. If this did happen, one of the VRE lines should be electrified so the Penn Line of MARC can run through.

The problem with that is VRE runs on CSX and NS owned tracks as where MARC's Penn line is the NEC which as we all know is owned by Amtrak. The issue with highspeed rail outside of the NEC is heavy freight.

It was never planned, but is envisioned by VRE in the far, far future.

Remember, there is near-street running in Ashland.

You should see the NEC just over the turnpike eastbound after metropark in NJ, maybe 10 feet in places between road & track.

- A

• 3 weeks later...

This is a step in the right direction. I want to see more Amtrak NE Corridor service going to Richmond.

The early plans were to electrify as far as Charlotte (!).

Interesting. I never knew they planned to go all the way to Charlotte. I once read a interview in Trains Magazine where former Amtrak President Tom Downs called for electrification to extend to Richmond, but never Charlotte. Of course, electrification south of DC won't be easy with CSX being the host railroad south of there.

Archived