MTA veterans give insight to hiring procedures and school car

Gambit

OK now we're getting into silly questions. Get serious again and I'll see what I can do.

Dahon5 - If you can see 20/20, there are no complications from LASIK and so no problem.

NYTech2000 - Hypertension and blackouts are definite career killers, no matter the condition of their eyes or their teeth.

Currently in the process of getting a physical to make sure if I need to make any adjustments. EKG came back fine, BP was around 124/88 today and 134/80 last week. Currently need to go get some blood work done to check my glucose, cholesterol and other stuff. So far, it seems I'm good. What is the range that they use to claim hypertension Alex?

BOSS stands for Bus Operator Selection survey.

Maybe the T/O's have something called the TOSS exam?

What does the BOSS entail ? We have nothing in RTO, that I know of, that is similar to BOSS. Is it some sort of refresher course, which we do have, or is it a survey, as the name implies ?

I don't understand why they care about hypertension. Having high cholesterol or a little high blood pressure shouldn't rule anyone out. Also, from looking at many TOs, I bet many of them have high blood pressure or high cholesterol. My cholesterol is at 215. It's high. I work out 4-5 times a week. Does that mean someone should try to lower it to try to make it to a TO? I'm not going to take Lipitor for a TO physical ^_^

After receiving your score/list # and god willing we get called (whenever that may be ), once you get a notice to report for medical or whatever is after that, assuming everything works out how long before your expected to report to day 1 at school car? Reason im asking is i have an oppportunity to buy a route buisness that only works 1 1/2 days per week and wondered how long once notified to report for a medical or the next steps will I have to sell my buisness or find someone to work it for me. Weeks, Month, Several months?? If i do accepted to school car after a medical and processing, would it be a day shift, monday through friday or can it be all different times??

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. I find myself strangely addicted to reading these posts for updates. you guys are all very helpful.

thanks again

Rich(2)(1)(1)(2)

I don't understand why they care about hypertension. Having high cholesterol or a little high blood pressure shouldn't rule anyone out. Also, from looking at many TOs, I bet many of them have high blood pressure or high cholesterol. My cholesterol is at 215. It's high. I work out 4-5 times a week. Does that mean someone should try to lower it to try to make it to a TO? I'm not going to take Lipitor for a TO physical ^_^

People with high cholesterol and/or high blood pressure run the risk of developing issues with their cardiovascular system. Would make sense that the MTA wouldn't want anyone with those issues sitting behind the controls of a train, since it could lead to a cardiac arrest or stroke. If you have issues that need to be attended to, then you probably should take care of it, not only to pass the MTA physical but for your health as well. At the end of the day, it's your body, not the MTA's.

What does the BOSS entail ? We have nothing in RTO, that I know of, that is similar to BOSS. Is it some sort of refresher course, which we do have, or is it a survey, as the name implies ?

It's a survey where it asks you questions on how you would handle certain situations,the questions repeat themselves later on to see if you answer consistently. Think of it as a personality test in a way.

I remember reading something about the "TOSS" on here awhile ago but I think it was DOB2RTO making a joke like he always does.

After receiving your score/list # and god willing we get called (whenever that may be ), once you get a notice to report for medical or whatever is after that, assuming everything works out how long before your expected to report to day 1 at school car? Reason im asking is i have an oppportunity to buy a route buisness that only works 1 1/2 days per week and wondered how long once notified to report for a medical or the next steps will I have to sell my buisness or find someone to work it for me. Weeks, Month, Several months?? If i do accepted to school car after a medical and processing, would it be a day shift, monday through friday or can it be all different times??

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. I find myself strangely addicted to reading these posts for updates. you guys are all very helpful.

thanks again

Rich(2)(1)(1)(2)

That route wouldn't happen to be Stella D' Oro right? I have considered buying a route,I almost bought an Archway cookie route before learning they went out of business.

That is my other option if I don't get the call from any of the 4 civil service lists that I am on within 2-4 yrs. Make sure you have a lawyer representing you as the seller can

make false claims just to sell the route quicker.

I don't understand why they care about hypertension. Having high cholesterol or a little high blood pressure shouldn't rule anyone out. Also, from looking at many TOs, I bet many of them have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

Bottom line is that if one has hypertension, he/she is not going to be called for T/O. Period. High cholesterol and/or high blood pressure will put the candidate in a medical hold. They take out of service longtime T/O's and C/R's for this, so you can only imagine how they'll treat a newbie.

Bottom line: do all that you can to get your numbers in check.

Months. You have to be called twice before you get hired.

Scheduling was well explained by Alex L. on page 1 of this thread.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had high blood pressure. I got put on a medical hold, so I took some pills for it, got a doctor's note, and I was hired the very next week. It's nothing major to worry about.

Oh did they Also tell you they are going to check you Every Six months for the rest of your time down here instead of getting checked every year becuase of your high blood pressure?

Did they change that policy?

Also you may have to bring in blood work from your doctor as well, Welcome to the MAC(Quack) Center nightmare....

• 1 month later...

I go every 6 months for pressure, which has NEVER been high since I'm on meds prior to working at NYCT. Gets me off the road..

For new hires. If pressure MAY be an issue, know beforehand.. Cut the caffeine, salt, ect a few days prior. Eat asparagus for those days, (natural diuertic) and limit fluid consumption. Pressure drops, & you'll pass pressure reading no problem..

Then I go to Nathans for a 'recovery meal' of 2 dogs with the works & fries.. :D

Archived