Fmr Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner Died

Guest Lance

One of my favorite Steinbrenner stories was back in the 80's and the Yankees had gotten knocked out in the playoffs. The very next day in Tampa Bay at the Yankee offices the very first person that George sees which was a receptionist,she says good morning Mr. Steinbrenner and he replies back..."You're fired."....she starts crying and it took other people that were working with her at the time to calm her down and they eventually convinced George not to fire her.

He was so mad at the time that he probably would have fired any Yankee employee within his sight,lol. George hated to lose even in a meaningless spring training game. I had tears in my eyes when I read that George passed away. Sure he had many enemies but they were outnumbered by his loyal fans 10-1. RIP: The Boss:cry:

The "Cupons' as Grand Concourse calls them aka the Wilpons the current Mets Owners could take a page from George(taken aside the above incident Locomotion talked about :cool:)on how to make Mets a serious World Series Contender every year.

This may sound crazy but as a little boy in 1980's I was thought and pictured George as a Big Man(Steinbrenner was I think 6 ft 2-3 inches)version of "Cosmo Spacely" the bipolar boss of the "jetsons' as well. Just being honest guys.:P

• 4 weeks later...

Archived