Support NYC public transit safety

motorman2085

TUES JULY 13 6PM-9PM – Locations: Manhattan - Cooper Union's Great Hall, 7 E. 7th St.@3rd Ave.

Queens - Queens College Colden Auditorium, 65-30 Kissena Blvd., Flushing.

WEDS., JULY 14 6PM – 9PM

In the Bronx: CUNY Theater 450 Grand Concourse

In Queens: NY Marriott at Brooklyn Bridge 333 Adams Street

This is the station agent elimination public hearings.

My opinion:

Station agents are really not as useful as people claim them to be. They aren't allowed to leave their booths, they can't control farebeaters. How does it improve security? It's like a cop who must remain in a guard station no matter what. Then people claim the issue of some stations not having free crossovers/crossunders. You have to leave fare control to get to the booth anyway, so what is the issue of exiting, crossing over on the street, and then entering again, if you had to pay that extra fare anyway? For disabled customers, there is the SCA intercom.

This is the station agent elimination public hearings.

My opinion:

Station agents are really not as useful as people claim them to be. They aren't allowed to leave their booths, they can't control farebeaters. How does it improve security? It's like a cop who must remain in a guard station no matter what. Then people claim the issue of some stations not having free crossovers/crossunders. You have to leave fare control to get to the booth anyway, so what is the issue of exiting, crossing over on the street, and then entering again, if you had to pay that extra fare anyway? For disabled customers, there is the SCA intercom.

I've thought that station agents are useful, however I think that in today's day and age and financial state the title should be merged. MTA police should be merged with Property Protection Agents and Station Agents (that would disqualify people with felonies and misdemeanors from the new job, but that's OK, offer them something else...). That way at least one person can be in every station at all times, most commonly be in the booth, but also roam if needed to respond to an emergency and have the authority to respond with appropriate force if necessary. Metrocard sales should be 100% by machine. The S/A should not need to refill or get new cards for people. The new job would be customer information, safety, and stopping farebeats.

I've thought that station agents are useful, however I think that in today's day and age and financial state the title should be merged. MTA police should be merged with Property Protection Agents and Station Agents (that would disqualify people with felonies and misdemeanors from the new job, but that's OK, offer them something else...). That way at least one person can be in every station at all times, most commonly be in the booth, but also roam if needed to respond to an emergency and have the authority to respond with appropriate force if necessary. Metrocard sales should be 100% by machine. The S/A should not need to refill or get new cards for people. The new job would be customer information, safety, and stopping farebeats.

I am not at all against more cops/guards in the subway. The station agents could be turned into guards that give directions.

MTA won't support hiring security guards because they are afraid of getting sued if something was to happen. The public as well as MTA will find out the REALITY of not having station agents around if MTA continue the current road of layoffs. The increases of fare evaders has already started. Such petty crimes will lead to more serious one when they are not in check. If the public can say they feel secure walking in central park at night or walking a quiet street at night without anyone there, then station agents and as well as police may be cut. Such cut will untimately lead back to increases in crimes, thus making it illogical to make such cut in the first place unless everyone in NYC are model citizen.

From what I hear, there were a lot of angry folks at Cooper Union last night, including a bunch of S/A's. But, of course, at the end, the MTA execs sounded like they are going to go ahead with closing all the booths in question anyway. Damn- I use one of the stations early in the morning that is going from a full-time booth to no booth at all.

The outcry should be not only at MTA and Mr. Walder sacrificing safety in the system but at how they go about the treatment of their transit workers. Layoffs should be the last resort, yet no effort was use by MTA and Mr. Walder to find other sources of revenues. They would sacrifice all their foot soldiers first before themselves. Go to the meeting to support transit safety and transit workers before its too late.

So much for the public hearing, where it has fallen to deaf ears of MTA and Mr. Walder. None care for the safety of the public despite plea from TSA, senators and assembly officials to not risk the public safety by cutting station agents. MTA and Mr. Walder no longer need transit workers anymore now that they have automated trains and cameras to do the work. The public will surely lose when all this has been cut and something was to happen. Massive deaths, massive lawsuits, and the bankrupt of MTA, and the end of an affordable transit system all together.

Archived