The Unlimited Ride MetroCard is No More...

error46146

An unlimited monthly MetroCard would max out at 90 trips under an MTA budget proposal - and officials may also cap the weekly cards at 21 rides, the Daily News has learned.

The limits eyed by Metropolitan Transportation Authority brass would sting a small percentage of riders who use the cards, sources said Monday.

The average straphanger who uses the card to get back and forth to work, with a few extra trips tossed in, wouldn't be affected.

But people who take the subway often as part of their job - such as messengers - could find themselves having to buy 13 or more monthly MetroCards a year.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/07/13/2010-07-13_mta_plan_for_limited_unlimited_metrocard.html#ixzz0tgi9SLvC

post-4-133288582108_thumb.jpg

post-4-133288582108_thumb.jpg

Of course those big shots dont give a damn, they get free passes to the MTA as they are employees...gotta love this shit huh

Basically 90 rides for 30 days = 3 rides a day...in other words a student metro for $100 bucks

What would be defined as a "trip"? A single swipe, or with all the transfer rules applied? 3 trips per day is an odd number and shouldn't be used.

Either 4 trips/day if the transfer rules apply, or 6 trips/day if they don't.

Quoting the secondavesagas.com blog:

According to the News, the MTA alleges that the vast majority of riders do not average three swipes per day for their unlimited ride cards. Thus, this cap would impact those people who are abnormally heavy subway users and those subway scammers who try to sell unlimited ride swipes at the turnstile for $2.25 to unsuspecting customers.

----

For what it’s worth, during my personal experiments, I’ve found my monthly usage to be less than the MTA’s rumored caps. In my November 2007 MetroCard challenge, I rode 74 times while working a regular job, and in my November 2008 challenge, I rode 73 times while commuting as a student. In October 2009, while commuting as a student and working a part time job, I swiped in 88 times. Reporters and messengers, among others, will far exceed the 90-swipe limit.

Going out on a limb here, but I think it's about time. I always have thought that the unlimited ride was a big waste of money on the TA's part. Back in the days of tokens, there were no unlimited rides so I think people have no leg to stand on when they say this is a bad idea, getting rid of the unlimited card is a good idea, the introduction of it was a really bad idea.

They should advertise them like PATH does: 90-ride cards.

I agree. I still think they should keep the unlimited monthly, except they should charge more for it (somewhere between $100-120). I'm sure there'll be some people who'll buy them, especially those who do rigorous commuting using the system and going more than three places in one day.

Will there still be day passes?

I hope so, but I wouldn't be surprised if they raised the price on those or even put a cap on them as well.

I still think that the monthly shouldn't be capped...because it wouldn't be a monthly anymore. They should keep the monthly unlimited but raise the price instead.

What would be defined as a "trip"? A single swipe, or with all the transfer rules applied? 3 trips per day is an odd number and shouldn't be used.

That it a good question.Guess we'll see.

To hell with limited/unlimited. I'll stick with a day passes (unless this whole fiasco involves the day passes as well) & pay-per rides/refills.

I don't think single day pass is being affected, doesn't say.

"Trip" is mostly used on :septa: Convience Pass.

For them, they only have 8-trips for 1-day, Week or Monthly.

I think it is bad idea MTA taking out to 90 trips are bad idea.

There are lots of people like me take lots of bus and subway ride.

They should advertise them like PATH does: 90-ride cards.

But PATH also has unlimiteds though. I don't think many people use it unless they literally ride the PATH train everyday.

What I usually do is just add 10 or more trips onto my SmartCard.

Archived