The Unlimited Ride MetroCard is No More...

error46146

Going out on a limb here, but I think it's about time. I always have thought that the unlimited ride was a big waste of money on the TA's part. Back in the days of tokens, there were no unlimited rides so I think people have no leg to stand on when they say this is a bad idea, getting rid of the unlimited card is a good idea, the introduction of it was a really bad idea.

good point. they could also decide to go back to the days when you could not transfer from bus to train for free. i'm sure that would bring in revenue.

I forsee alot of future damage to MTA property and equipment coming up. Its a lose lose situation, they try to save money by screwing people over but they lose money in damages....

why would you want that to happen? havent enough employees been hurt because of stupid statements like that. its not the equipment that has to face the publics wrath, its us flesh and blood employees.

Going out on a limb here, but I think it's about time. I always have thought that the unlimited ride was a big waste of money on the TA's part. Back in the days of tokens, there were no unlimited rides so I think people have no leg to stand on when they say this is a bad idea, getting rid of the unlimited card is a good idea, the introduction of it was a really bad idea.

Its imperative to remember that one of the original points of the unlimited card was to be a sort of discount for those who pay for it above the actual full fare. The (MTA) knew exactly what they were doing when they implemented this, and if they want to get rid of it then get rid of it completely, as opposed to dragging out its demise.

Btw, back when there were tokens, transfers lasted all day as opposed to just two hours as they do now.

I forsee alot of future damage to MTA property and equipment coming up. Its a lose lose situation, they try to save money by screwing people over but they lose money in damages....

Is there evidence to even suggest a correlation between vandalism incidents and fare increases?

they could also decide to go back to the days when you could not transfer from bus to train for free. i'm sure that would bring in revenue.

They could also go back to the days when the state helped to fund city transit. Oh wait.....

What would be defined as a "trip"? A single swipe, or with all the transfer rules applied? 3 trips per day is an odd number and shouldn't be used.

Either 4 trips/day if the transfer rules apply, or 6 trips/day if they don't.

I would think a "trip" would be a whole trip, including the transfer. When I dip my Student MetroCard in for my first bus, it says "Student OK", but when I dip it in for my second bus, it says "Transfer OK". I would assume the same would apply for the Unlimited MetroCard. (Ironically, it would have no more flexibility than a Student MetroCard).

I don't think single day pass is being affected, doesn't say.

I doubt that it would because it would be cheaper to buy by the the ride. $8.25/3 trips per day is $2.77, more than each ride costs individually, unless they put a 5 or 6 ride cap on the daily passes.

Overall, I think that 90 rides per month is way too low. They say that the average commuter takes about 70 rides per month, but it isn't hard to imagine a scenario where somebody would go over the 90 ride limit. If somebody takes a bus to the subway and then another bus at the other end, and uses that method in both directions (4 rides per day), that means that those rides have to last them for 22 days, which barely covers all of the weekdays in a month.

Also, there are people who use their Unlimited MetroCard throughout the day, like during their lunch break to travel to a restaurant. It isn't that hard to visualize a commuter who would need 150 rides per month between all of the possible scenarios.

I don't know if I mentioned it here, but I think that there should be peak/off-peak pricing. If the MTA can encourage some people to travel off-peak, it can reduce peak service and replace it with added off-peak service which is less of a cost to run (you don't have all of the deadheads).

why would you want that to happen? havent enough employees been hurt because of stupid statements like that. its not the equipment that has to face the publics wrath, its us flesh and blood employees.

Its not that I want it to happen, its already happening

"Trip" is mostly used on :septa: Convience Pass.

For them, they only have 8-trips for 1-day, Week or Monthly.

I think it is bad idea MTA taking out to 90 trips are bad idea.

There are lots of people like me take lots of bus and subway ride.

Hey, never heard of speaking proper english, because i can hardly understand what you write and it's nearly impossible for others to make sense of what your saying. you seriously need to learn proper grammer in english when you are writing sentences, or otherwise don't even bother posting because your english sucks ass.:P

Hey, never heard of speaking proper english, because i can hardly understand what you write and it's nearly impossible for others to make sense of what your saying. you seriously need to learn proper grammer in english when you are writing sentences, or otherwise don't even bother posting because your english sucks ass.:P
Railfanner that wasnt even cool at all.And to say that to a fellow Japanese is just wrong.He`s just trying to post a statement like everybody else.SMH.:confused:

Railfanner that wasnt even cool at all.And to say that to a fellow Japanese is just wrong.He`s just trying to post a statement like everybody else.SMH.:confused:

Seriously, that kid dosen't even know basic english grammer or dosen't make any sense at all when he is speaking. His english is like a dead zombie from the graveyard. I think he needs to go to a mentally retard school to practice the basic grammers of the english language, then rather running his mouth like a retarted robot from the kawasaki company plant.:P

Of course those big shots dont give a damn, they get free passes to the MTA as they are employees...gotta love this shit huh

Basically 90 rides for 30 days = 3 rides a day...in other words a student metro for $100 bucks

Took the words right out of my mouth. Except for 6 rides on weekends. So basically the kids are given 'unlimited' metrocards if the cuts go through. Seriously, Albany politicians should have thought about the public and not themselves for publicity for funding $122 million for student cards. Cut the student metrocards. (Lets not go there, we have a thread on that already)

good point. they could also decide to go back to the days when you could not transfer from bus to train for free. i'm sure that would bring in revenue.

Nah. A lot of people need to hop on a bus before getting to closest train station such as far out in eastern Queens and parts of farther out Brooklyn and Bronx. Thats not going to work. In Manhattan they probably should do that and also subway to bus in Manhattan because nowhere in Manhattan do you must access a bus first before trains.

I originally posted this as a separate thread, but another user informed me it was better to post what I said in this thread.

Since the (MTA) wants to severely curtail the unlimited metrocard (and thus make it limited), and add a $1 surcharge for new metrocards, then should the elimination of student metrocards be considered again? It's really unfair that we; the riding public have to subsidies the Department of Education's cheapness. It's bad enough that the state refuses to chip in when times are good (and seems hell bent on making the (MTA) go bankrupt), but we the riders shouldn't be subsidizing other people's responsibilities (namely the city and the state).

And while I'm on a pro (MTA) diatribe, lets consider congestion pricing again (and this time actually implement it)!

Maybe, just like the correlation when gas prices rise more beer/alcohol is consumed

Now that correlation sounds accurate!

In Manhattan they probably should do that and also subway to bus in Manhattan because nowhere in Manhattan do you must access a bus first before trains.

There are actually places in Manhattan where you see a bus before a subway. In some spots (Lower East Side, West Side) you're actually looking at a twenty minute walk to the nearest subway station.

No, 10 minutes tops. Alphabet City and West Side and Battery Park City, 10 minutes shouldnt be a worry. For the West Side the (7) extension is solving that and for East Side (T) got that covered.

The (7) covers you to 345h and the (T) for our neck of the woods (East Midtown/LES) is at least ten years away if it's coming at all. Battery Park city is good. West Side is 10 minutes, but a nice chunk of alphabet city is more than 10. Even then, it's still not good policy to make people pay double the fare to go from point a to point b, unless the (MTA) enjoys bleeding money then go ahead.

Of course those big shots dont give a damn, they get free passes to the MTA as they are employees...gotta love this shit huh

Basically 90 rides for 30 days = 3 rides a day...in other words a student metro for $100 bucks

Exactly. Maybe they make it a cute new neon color, too...? lol

What would be defined as a "trip"? A single swipe, or with all the transfer rules applied? 3 trips per day is an odd number and shouldn't be used.

Either 4 trips/day if the transfer rules apply, or 6 trips/day if they don't.

Back when I had a school pass, a transfer was included with every swipe or "trip".

The unlimited card is a good way to keep people out of their cars and using mass transit instead, since one's mindset is that the ride is free when using an unlimited card. This move is going to push people more towards using their own vehicles to get places, especially when compounded with the thought of all of the newly crowded post-cuts trains and buses.

Maybe some environmental group could help fund the unlimited metrocard instead of running around chasing after whaling boats and whatnot. (I have no belief this will ever happen though)

Archived