MTA unveiling fare hike plan, but the crunch is just on straphangers

Harry

The $2.50 subway fare may be arriving soon - but only for a small group of riders, the Daily News has learned.

Straphangers who buy single-ride paper tickets at subway station vending machines would pay an extra quarter under the MTA's budget proposal, which is to be released this month, sources said.

Only about 2.1% of subway riders use one-way tickets.

The $2.25 base fare would remain the same for other straphangers, including bus riders paying with coins, sources said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/07/14/2010-07-14_mta_plan_250_for_singlerides.html#ixzz0tghPAsDo

post-1-133288582104_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582104_thumb.jpg

This is a hidden way for the MTA to get more money: Rather than buying one SRT, they would have to buy 4.50 on a MetroCard and pay the dollar surcharge. However, I doubt most tourists are aware of the function. When I first took the subway, it took me more time to figure out the MVM and bonus system as it took to wait and take the train. To make things worse, someone came up to me and asked if she could enter on my MetroCard (PPR) and paid me the fare in cash.

They should just axe the bonus and keep fares as is and unlimited actually unlimited. What a bunch of pinheads at the (MTA) administration.

- A

this article doesnt repeat the earlier report of them putting a limit on "unlimited" metrocards. maybe its off the table?

Why would anyone buy a single ride ticket when they can refill $2.25 (or top up an existing balance) on an old PPR MetroCard?

(For those who object that infrequent riders and tourists are unlikely to have an old PPR card, may I point out the several hundred MetroCards littering the floor at every subway station).

Why would anyone buy a single ride ticket when they can refill $2.25 (or top up an existing balance) on an old PPR MetroCard?

(For those who object that infrequent riders and tourists are unlikely to have an old PPR card, may I point out the several hundred MetroCards littering the floor at every subway station).

Because tourists don't think about those things.

If a tourist only has, say, $3 in cash. He/she does want to pick up Metrocards off the floor for the sake of looking good.

Archived