Were any of you alive when the F and N had express service on their lines.

Roadcruiser1

No, the main reason why the viaduct is being worked on is that it was very close to falling down. The express tracks needed to be worked on so that trains can use them while the local tracks and Smith-9th Street and 4th Av are rebuilt. During several phases, all trains will run on the express tracks for a period of time. I have sat through enough presentations about this project and the only talk of ANY express serivice is that it will be looked at as a POSSIBLITY once work is done. No one has said that there will be express service.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

...IIRC, a few years ago there was a GO for the (N) to run express via the Sea Beach from 59 Street to Kings Highway.

That's what I was talking about

That's one of the MAIN reasons they are fixing up the express tracks on the Culver Viaduct, was to have them in perfect running condition for future express service. Well I guess with the (V) gone, anything might happen.

Residents of Park Slope killed the (F) express because it was a direct to manhattan line that was not serving them. The (G) doesn't take them to Manhattan. The only way something runs express on Culver is if the (F) is split in to an (F) and <(F)>/(V) and the (F) still serves them and the other line runs express to maybe 18th St. There's no way the (G) alone would run as the local.

As for the (G), they should leave it to Church 24/7 [once the viaduct project is done], so that riders can get a 1 seat transfer to the (R) at 4th Av than to transfer at Smith-9th for one stop. Plus sometimes the (G) relays back at Church Av anyway and it is a waste to run them empty if they could take people past Smith-9th.

Most of us are talking about this because we want to help people with shorter commutes but lets talk about the history of those express tracks how old are they and why would people built them if no one uses them

Could care less about the F's, its been plagued by Hipster doofii in Northern Brooklyn. Same goes for the G train.

Could care less about the F's, its been plagued by Hipster doofii in Northern Brooklyn. Same goes for the G train.

I take it you don't ride the F line that much or even know where it runs with a statement like that.

I take it you don't ride the F line that much or even know where it runs with a statement like that.

179th street to Coney island.

But from where I ride it from and observing.. from 2nd Avenue to Smith-9th All I see are Hipster Doofii and Yuppies. These Gentrifying A-holes from Fly-Over States.

179th street to Coney island.

But from where I ride it from and observing.. from 2nd Avenue to Smith-9th All I see are Hipster Doofii and Yuppies. These Gentrifying A-holes from Fly-Over States.

So by riding that small portion of the line you can make a fair judgement? Step out side your bubble and see that they are also a small portion of the F line riders. Also, the F doesn't go into northern Brooklyn at any point, it's all in Brooklyn South.

I remember a GO years ago and Nancies went express in the Sea Beach Cut. I'm not even sure if both middle tracks are good for service (and I mean from top to bottom, all because they exist doesn't mean they're good for service) i.e. the drill track at Lenox.

I remember a GO years ago and Nancies went express in the Sea Beach Cut. I'm not even sure if both middle tracks are good for service (and I mean from top to bottom, all because they exist doesn't mean they're good for service) i.e. the drill track at Lenox.

The Coney-Island bound express track has been cut off from Kings Highway to 8 Avenue. The Manhattan-bound express track is bidirectional in that section. South of Kings Highway, both tracks are operational and in good condition.

http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/bigbklyn-3.png

Archived