A Small Question About Computer Keyboards

EE Broadway Local

I have some TTK....

On computer keyboards, what are the top row of keys - ESC; F1 through F12; PRTSC SYSRQ; PAUSE BREAK; INS and DEL and what is the arrow key - l<- ->l (the key above CAPS LOCK) used for?

depends on what software you're using....

but assuming you're talking about windows...

F5 - refreshes/reloads w/e browser window you press it on...

F11 - maximizes w/e window is active, to the point where it covers the entire monitor (even the taskbar does not show)...

F2 - renames a file when a icon is selected...

(FYI, you can also rename files by

1) right clicking on an icon & selecting rename, or

2) selecting an icon, and "softly" clicking in the text area below the icon)

F1 - windows help

F3 - windows (file) search feature

F4 - in in an open browser window, it accesses address bar

F10 - in an open browser window, it accesses the menu bar (where you see File... Edit... View, etc...

(pressing the ALT key also does this)

don't know, off top, what the other function keys do.... The ones I use the most are F2 & F5....

- the escape key by itself, doesn't do anything.... when used in a combination w/ certain keys though, it has many functions....

-------------------------

what else...

PRTSC SYSRQ; - prtsc stands for print screen

pressing this will save a "snapshot" (a picture) of whatever's on the monitor when you press it

pressing this, along w/ the ALT key, will save a snapshot of only the ACTIVE window...

of course, in order to view the snapshot, you have to paste it somewhere (MS word, MS paint, paintshop pro, photoshop, etc.)

SysRq does nothing anymore... IINM, it stood for system request...

----------------

PAUSE BREAK;

AFAIK, the pause/break key was used to end an execution of the program; "breaking" a program... (same as going into the processes tab of the task manager, selecting a running app, and ending/deleting it.....)... It no longer has that function on today's pc's....

INS and DEL

* INS= Insert... how can I explain this...

ok, if I wanted to type the word "train", and I typed "tain" by accident

- I can place the cursor over the 'a' and type the letter 'r', and the word "train" would appear... this happens when the insert function is active...

- if the insert key was not pressed, and you pressed the letter 'r' in that same position (as the example above), you would see "trin"

this function is really only necessary when the cursor is horizontal (as opposed to vertical)

* and DEL = Delete... self explanatory

----------------------------

and what is the arrow key - l<- ->l (the key above CAPS LOCK) used for?

the tab button?

- if you're typing in MS word, wordpad, a text document, it enables you to indent to the right

(or to the left, if you press shift+tab, on older versions of windows... also called backwards tabbing)

- if you're on a webpage, pressing tab will set the "focus" on any clickable link that are available on that page...

if a page has many links on it, you keep pressing tab...

the "arrows" on the tab key, were to depict/illustrate that one can tab forwards (->) or backwards (<-)... that's all that means...

hope this helps.

I know some of you maniacs know some wicked shortcuts on windows, for example alt & tab together you can change windows, windows key and the letter 'E' opens up my computer, what else is there?

Windows key and letter 'L' locks your computer with your log on password. If you have roommates who love to mess with your instant messenger or Facebook statuses, this one's an embarrasment saver.

Signed,

The guy who changed his college roommate's facebook status to "beating my dick like it owes me money" and "rearranging my dildo collection in size order...hmm one has gone missing" a few years ago...oh man those were priceless pranks

Windows key and letter 'L' locks your computer with your log on password. If you have roommates who love to mess with your instant messenger or Facebook statuses, this one's an embarrasment saver.

Signed,

The guy who changed his college roommate's facebook status to "beating my dick like it owes me money" and "rearranging my dildo collection in size order...hmm one has gone missing" a few years ago...oh man those were priceless pranks

karma's a muther efer pal.

SysRq (System Request) has a bit of history behind it, almost none of which is directly related to the computers we use today.

If I remember right, it is one of those buttons that is a holdover from the IBM System/370 days. On sys/370, the system request button would pause the operating system. This pause would allow the operator to send input to the operating system.

SysRq (System Request) has a bit of history behind it, almost none of which is directly related to the computers we use today.

If I remember right, it is one of those buttons that is a holdover from the IBM System/370 days. On sys/370, the system request button would pause the operating system. This pause would allow the operator to send input to the operating system.

Damn Joe you are a veteran too!

Windows Live One Care is being discontinued in August. I've accepted their suggestion and after uninstalling Windows Live One Care, I downloaded and installed Microsoft Security Essentials to go along with Windows Defender,Windows Firewall, and Windows Update.

Amazingly, Microsoft Security Essientials is free.

Plus I also keep Google, Ask, AOL, Bing, and Yahoo! Safe Search on (Moderate).

Archived